Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 02:13 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored2Day View Post
(Wiley ) I feel for your friend! I have also dipped into my summer savings to makes ends meet this year. I don't remember struggling this badly last year, or the year before... All of the little things are adding up. My sister is not feeling it and makes a little more than me. It seems like it is creeping up slowly. My pay is decent. My heart goes out (rather than my nose going up) for those who are making less. Perhaps in the construction, housing..industry who all of a sudden have found themselves slow in this economy... or those who never had the opportunity to go to college and are working for low wages. I bet they wish they had a lawn to cut!
I'm feeling it this year as well... last year I would have never qualified for Bush's gift : ) but this year I do. I am in a business that is effected by the recessed housing market. Oh and some people can make it without a college degree...look at Bill Gates : ) and myself ... couldn't find a parking space so I quit..lol : ) I have managed just fine without it but most people do need that piece of paper in order to get ahead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 02:45 PM

467 posts, read 1,692,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc7612 View Post
There are such sweeping generalizations on this board. We do not qualify for the rebate. But to insuinate that people that are in a certain tax bracket act this way or that is inaccurate. I do not carry a Louis Vuitton purse,not because I can't, it is because I cannot see spending $1,000 on a purse. To me that is asinine. Do I have a lawn service? No, I mow my own grass. However, I am the only wife on the street who does. I am also one of the few who cleans her own house. We might be in a higher tax bracket, but we are frugal and make good judgements. My husband is also the hardest working man I have met. We have taxes to pay and a son to put through college just like everyone else. If people are passing out rebates, everyone should receive one, even those who have put the most in the pot to begin with. That seems like a great idea to me.

I am insinuating nothing. I am just showing another point of view. I personally think 75 k is not wealth anyway...but thats the number that was used. I am saying that those who do not need the 600.00 will spend it. many who do need it will bank it... a stimulus needs to be spent....

Old 03-27-2008, 02:48 PM

757 posts, read 3,363,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
They were willing to pay 'x' amount and thus the service provider was able to simultanously make a profit and introduce a product that helped society in some sort of way. These are the people who deserve the rebate and the reward.
They do, in the form of dividends and appreciation (of value).

What about a family who is able to buy their first computer,something most of us take completely for granted? Don't you think that helps the economy and gives those kids a better shot at a good future?

Old 03-27-2008, 02:54 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
They do, in the form of dividends and appreciation (of value).

What about a family who is able to buy their first computer,something most of us take completely for granted? Don't you think that helps the economy and gives those kids a better shot at a good future?
This family in theory would be getting a rebate, so as long as they were gainfully employed. The fault I find is with giving some a rebate who hasn't worked. That's called welfare, not a rebate. As far as the amount, if this family is getting 1800 (1200 for couple + 600 for two dependent children) then that is more than enough to buy a computer, under your scenario. The amount of $$ rebate that someone who earned more than this family earned is of ZERO consequence to that family.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:56 PM

240 posts, read 947,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
The fault I find is with giving some a rebate who hasn't worked. That's called welfare, not a rebate. As far as the amount, if this family is getting 1800 (1200 for couple + 600 for two dependent children) then that is more than enough to buy a computer, under your scenario. The amount of $$ rebate that someone who earned more than this family earned is of ZERO consequence to that family.

Are there really that many couples out there with two children who do not work? I know that there was some kind of calculation done that made my mothers rebate go from 600 to 300 because her social security was too small. Isn't there some kind of calculation done that would eliminate a family that is not working AT ALL from getting the rebate? Like the ones that I think you are referring to that are riding the welfare train all the way to the bank? Whom, by the way I am not defending at all when I speak of the poor. I am speaking of the hard working people that are struggling due to the economy or some sort of hardship. People abusing our welfare system is a whole other ballgame that will get me all wound up.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:34 PM

393 posts, read 1,086,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I have no sympathy for you! Means you made way too much money last year : )))
We take no deductions until the our filings, My husband is a federal employee working six days a week, I worked P/T last year, and got hit with more taxes than last year.

Wake up, the middle class is being strangled,
let's see those of the dole, try to float this country and it's economy.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:47 PM

393 posts, read 1,086,672 times
Quote:
Are there really that many couples out there with two children who do not work? I know that there was some kind of calculation done that made my mothers rebate go from 600 to 300 because her social security was too small. Isn't there some kind of calculation done that would eliminate a family that is not working AT ALL from getting the rebate? Like the ones that I think you are referring to that are riding the welfare train all the way to the bank? Whom, by the way I am not defending at all when I speak of the poor. I am speaking of the hard working people that are struggling due to the economy or some sort of hardship. People abusing our welfare system is a whole other ballgame that will get me all wound up.
Reply from: Hardworking from the start!
Here's the story, WORKFORCE in No. NJ, an employer receives $1,000 to hire a semi-trained, Cashier, Customer Service Agent, they work six months, cannot come to work on time, perform their duties, and are replaced by another $1,000 WORKFORCE employee. (WAL-MART, LOWE'S, HOME DEPOT, on and on)
The Workforce individual still receives, child care, travel, and training expenses. TELL ME, HOW THIS IS NOT WELFARE!!
Recipients now, just have to show up for work and perform their duties, yet still reap the benefits of WELFARE.
Oh, Didi I mention free College Tuition, next time you visit the Physician,
find out who is taking your blood pressure.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:56 PM

828 posts, read 3,138,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sligogirl View Post
Here's the story, WORKFORCE in No. NJ, an employer receives $1,000 to hire a semi-trained, Cashier, Customer Service Agent, they work six months, cannot come to work on time, perform their duties, and are replaced by another $1,000 WORKFORCE employee. (WAL-MART, LOWE'S, HOME DEPOT, on and on)
Where you do get you misinformation from?
Scary.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:28 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,694,578 times
Quote:
i agree with you. i prefer to be thankful that I'm not in a position where this "stimulus" (which, btw, as a whole, I don't agree with, but that's another issue) if going to make or break me. if it really bothered me that much, i'd just go on welfare and live the good life.

i was speaking to a friend of mine who grew up on public assistance (but her mother worked --- so don't get all crazy on me). she now has a great 6 figure job and won't be getting the check. she said "i'll take where I am now versus getting that money but wondering if I'll be able to get a new pair of shoes in a couple of months."

"but there for the grace of god go i"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey