Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 06:45 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbro View Post
Thanks, but last time I checked, a man I was not.

It also balances the huge unfair tax cut the richies got a few years ago. This country has given them opportunities which have afforded them a lavish lifestyle (even those who are not ostentatious have a level of comfort and indulgence undreamed of two generations ago or in most other countries). Isn't it right that they give back for the privilege, especially when others are bustin' their backs to eke by?
Sorry carbro - thought your screen name stoof for Car Bro... like car buff : ))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
OK- so following your logic-how about we change this tax rebate plan. How about the ONLY people to get it are those that pay NO INCOME TAX-the poor as you call them. Would you still think this was "smart"?

Just curious what everyone else would think? Those of you who think 75,000/year is "rich".

And by the way- I am not a "rich person who does nothing to help out the economy" like you wrote in your reply. I am a middle class working stiff who will be spending my check shortly after I receive it for some home improvements but I still think those who pay more taxes then me deserve a larger rebate and those who pay no taxes deserve nothing. I can be a middle class person living paycheck to paycheck and still not have a deep rooted hatred for rich people like so many in this country do.

Nicolem
Well no, I don't agree with people living on welfare getting the rebate either...seniors on fixed incomes, definatley! I was just saying if you make 75 plus... chances are you don't really need $600.00! If you do, you're doing something wrong. It's peanuts! So I say let the little guy/gal who really needs it, have it.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:09 AM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,364,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Sorry carbro - thought your screen name stoof for Car Bro... like car buff : ))
Ah, the power of unisex user names.

(It's okay, I thought she was a he, too :P)

Old 03-27-2008, 08:32 AM

240 posts, read 947,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
OK- so following your logic-how about we change this tax rebate plan. How about the ONLY people to get it are those that pay NO INCOME TAX-the poor as you call them. Would you still think this was "smart"?
That would not be enough people to "Jump Start" our economy as our one and only is hoping... However, I believe that this is crazy so in keeping with George W's craziness and he proposed giving this rebate to only the poor and of course Seniors who are on fixed incomes, of course I would be behind it. I think most people with a heart would! I didn't hear anyone say anything about hate for the rich. We are talking about a $600.00 rebate. This could mean school clothes for some middle class families feeling the "recesion" that we are not in, or medicine for the poor, as opposed to a luxury item that might be purchased (a dress or purse) by someone who is already capable of spending $600.00 to jump start the economy.

It is all a matter of empathy. I think most would agree whether poor, living paycheck to paycheck (such as myself lately) or those who make over 75,000.00. (No that is not enough to make you rich in this area, but it is enough to keep the economy alive.)

Old 03-27-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored2Day View Post
That would not be enough people to "Jump Start" our economy as our one and only is hoping... However, I believe that this is crazy so in keeping with George W's craziness and he proposed giving this rebate to only the poor and of course Seniors who are on fixed incomes, of course I would be behind it. I think most people with a heart would! I didn't hear anyone say anything about hate for the rich. We are talking about a $600.00 rebate. This could mean school clothes for some middle class families feeling the "recesion" that we are not in, or medicine for the poor, as opposed to a luxury item that might be purchased (a dress or purse) by someone who is already capable of spending $600.00 to jump start the economy.

It is all a matter of empathy. I think most would agree whether poor, living paycheck to paycheck (such as myself lately) or those who make over 75,000.00. (No that is not enough to make you rich in this area, but it is enough to keep the economy alive.)
Exactly what I meant! Thanks Bored2day...I tried to give you rep points but apparently I need to spread them around a little more first.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Exactly what I meant! Thanks Bored2day...I tried to give you rep points but apparently I need to spread them around a little more first.
I've got your back Wiley !

Old 03-27-2008, 09:25 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:

It also balances the huge unfair tax cut the richies got a few years ago. This country has given them opportunities which have afforded them a lavish lifestyle (even those who are not ostentatious have a level of comfort and indulgence undreamed of two generations ago or in most other countries). Isn't it right that they give back for the privilege, especially when others are bustin' their backs to eke by?

I'd like to think that those who EARNED their wealth afforded themselves the opportunities that have in turn, given them a lavish lifestyle that resulted from the fruits of their labor, and the sweat on their back. That's called being a capitalist, and it's one of the principles our country was founded upon. How did they earn this money? In most cases, creating goods and services that others bought and found desirable. They were willing to pay 'x' amount and thus the service provider was able to simultanously make a profit and introduce a product that helped society in some sort of way. These are the people who deserve the rebate and the reward. Those who are sitting on a milk crate at 10:30 in the morning in the middle of their living room watching "The Price Is Right" on the Game Show channel deserve nothing.

To me, this is such elemental common sense, and it continues to elude an increasing amount of U.S. citizens, which I think is scary. It only proves to me that rhetoric spewed forth by politicians that are aided, abetted and fostered by a complicent mainstream media are beginning to make a mark on public perception. It's pretty disgusting and disheartening.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:33 AM

173 posts, read 818,825 times
This is not a "rebate." This is simply a loan -- in the form of additional government debt -- from a future generation to us today, so we can "stimulate" the economy by buying necessities like flat-screen TV's and ipods. Since my kids will have this debt on their government's books, I'm going to invest it for them in the stocks of foreign companies, which will likely continue to do better than the U.S. companies, because of economic missteps like this one.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:34 AM

342 posts, read 1,793,615 times
Quote:

And which tax cuts are these? If you see what we pay in taxes it would make your head spin! This country gives the same opportunities to everyone. Some just work harder for it.

Oh and Mike0421, I tried to rep you again, but unfortunately I have to spread the love around some before that can happen.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I'd like to think that those who EARNED their wealth afforded themselves the opportunities that have in turn, given them a lavish lifestyle that resulted from the fruits of their labor, and the sweat on their back. That's called being a capitalist, and it's one of the principles our country was founded upon. How did they earn this money? In most cases, creating goods and services that others bought and found desirable. They were willing to pay 'x' amount and thus the service provider was able to simultanously make a profit and introduce a product that helped society in some sort of way.
Yeah either that or Mommy gave it to them. I don't think teaching first grade (which is what I do) is equivalent to sitting on a box every day watching the Price is Right. I don't think that many other people are doing that either. We just don't make as much money as others however, we have very necessary jobs and a valued place in society. The economy sucks right now. I would hope that our country would help those who need help.

I just hope that I teach my kids to value what they have and not look down their noses at everyone else - always wanting more. Moral values are so important. Nobody likes a snob!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey