Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:32 PM

20,341 posts, read 19,930,346 times

Advertisements

There's 31 or 32 Abbott districts sucking up 66% of the education dollars. I wonder what they would find if they audited all of them? We could probably all send our kids to Ivy League schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 07:20 AM

48 posts, read 386,344 times
Newark City alone gets $786 Million Dollars a year from the state.

Essex County as a whole gets over $1 Billion.

How'd you like to audit that?

Old 04-12-2008, 05:49 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,927 times
As a teacher in an Abbott District I'm going to quit and apply for a bus driving position in Union City...I sure haven't seen the money. My classroom is in a basement. My bookcases are falling apart. In the past 3 years I've personally spent more than $3K on supplies. I've run out of pencils and paper because I only get $300 per year for supplies from the district. I always wondered where the money went.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:58 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
As a teacher in an Abbott District I'm going to quit and apply for a bus driving position in Union City...I sure haven't seen the money. My classroom is in a basement. My bookcases are falling apart. In the past 3 years I've personally spent more than $3K on supplies. I've run out of pencils and paper because I only get $300 per year for supplies from the district. I always wondered where the money went.
Your corrupt bosses, unfortunately.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:15 AM

559 posts, read 1,356,552 times
Default Please tell us which district

Quote:

I hate to say I don't believe a single word of this post. Pens? I get very very nice pens from my Abbott District BOE office, maybe you should go raid the BO's supply cabinet.

If this is a true post, as a educator you should be in the Governors face and have this story plastered all over the SL.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:16 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
I agree completely with Casper: this is a disgrace. I'd take my situation to a public advocate or someone such as Paul Mulshine at the Star Ledger. Take lots of pictures too.

Posts like this one are at the epicenter at NJ's problems (and a big reason I don't think I could move back). Teachers in this position have an obligation to inform residents with children in suburban districts and give it a voice.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:13 AM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,927 times
Granted the first line of my post was tongue in cheek but the truth is my district is putting a lot of their money into new schools. I worked in one of those schools where Smartboards and Whiteboards were in every room. Where classroom budgets were higher and all the desks, bookcases and computers were new.

As frustrating as it is to need supplies and not have them available I also know that our district is improving. There is full day pre-k which helps to give children in the district a head start...considering there are a lot of home situations we are trying to make up for. We also have teacher tutors in the classrooms to help students that are underperforming. So I don't want my message to be misunderstood. My bookcases are falling apart. My room is in the basement and my yearly budget for supplies including pencils and paper is as stated - and I really have run out. But, I still like the district. I still LOVE my job and I would still let my daughter come to school here.

And 2 weeks ago if I had posted that the bus drivers in my district got paid 6 hours of OT per month to charge cell phones none of you would have believed that either.

I meet very few teachers that don't have to buy supplemental supplies out of their own pocket, regardless of district.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:48 PM

6 posts, read 20,945 times
Ok I've taught in 2 Abbott districts and 2 upper middleclass districts. Yes I had to spend my own money on TOILET paper for my 1st grade classroom, yet the district was spending upwards of ..........are you ready?????18000 per student. Now in the upper middleclass district I might spend $ in the class, but 9 times out of 10 if I send home a note saying I need something for the class half of the parents send in more than enough!

Old 04-24-2008, 08:35 PM

1,387 posts, read 4,017,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rls542 View Post
Ok I've taught in 2 Abbott districts and 2 upper middleclass districts. Yes I had to spend my own money on TOILET paper for my 1st grade classroom, yet the district was spending upwards of ..........are you ready?????18000 per student. Now in the upper middleclass district I might spend $ in the class, but 9 times out of 10 if I send home a note saying I need something for the class half of the parents send in more than enough!
I was about to mention that and then you said it. When my brothers were in kindergarten, the teacher would send a letter home to my mother. She would ask for hand soap, hand sanitizer, camara film, paper towels, etc. Most of the parents were very supportive and this was in an Abbott district! (although the school itself is well-recognized for its academic excellence).

I'm telling you, this is not going to end until we start giving out vouchers for education. I saw a special on 20/20 and this is what they do in Belgium. Parents are given vouchers for their children and they choose where their children will go and consequently, who gets the money. As a result, schools are forced to perform well and they compete with each other in order to get students to attend their school; exactly how companies compete with each other in order to make you a regular patron at their stores.

Old 04-24-2008, 09:06 PM

6 posts, read 20,945 times
I agree with your post. I think the key above everything else is parental involvement. In the Abbott districts I worked in the students that did the best (other than the self motivated and naturally talented and gifted) were the students who had parents that were involved. Involved doesn't have to mean be a stage mom/dad but asking/checking DAILY about their schoolwork goes a LONG way. I have had parents that hadn't checked their children's backpacks for an entire MARKING PERIOD then are surprised that they aren't doing well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey