Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 01:29 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times

Advertisements

Years ago, about ohh God, im getting old but Morristown was never so fancy and crowded!!! This is a good example of a city that basically turned itsself around for the better. Yes its crowded, but I did not see half of the sleazy stuff I used to see years and years ago. Actually its a pretty nice area now!! I actually enjoyed myself today in Morristown without drugs or alcohol!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2008, 01:32 PM

1,972 posts, read 5,422,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
Years ago, about ohh God, im getting old but Morristown was never so fancy and crowded!!! This is a good example of a city that basically turned itsself around for the better. Yes its crowded, but I did not see half of the sleazy stuff I used to see years and years ago. Actually its a pretty nice area now!! I actually enjoyed myself today in Morristown without drugs or alcohol!!!!!

Did you buy any furniture?

Old 04-28-2008, 01:33 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,670,841 times
Quote:
I'm not following how anyone can "enjoy" themselves "without drugs or alcohol". That has confused me.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:36 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
You obviously didn't get more than a few blocks from "The Square"- if you had, you'd find that much of the sleaze that was Morristown is still there- it just speaks a language other than English now........

Old 04-28-2008, 01:41 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
You obviously didn't get more than a few blocks from "The Square"- if you had, you'd find that much of the sleaze that was Morristown is still there- it just speaks a language other than English now........

Sad to say Bob is speaking the truth..the Hollow is still a cess pool
And that fancy area around the square, well let's just say the rents and or cost of a condo will make your blood cold

Old 04-28-2008, 01:47 PM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Excellent post, Bob. Much like NYC under the Guiliani era, the Green around Morristown has been gentrified, and the riff-raff has been pushed to the outer margins. Morristown has put cake frosting over a mound of limburger cheese. You need drive no further than down on the ol Clyde Potts Dr to bear witness to my claim. Then there's the blatant day labor pick up points down on Lackawana Place.

Morristown is a snap shot of 'Blue State' America: a lot of faux-sophistication propped up around a permanent underclass. The new inhabitants with the big money talk about the unfairness of capitalism, the tax code, etc, then proceed to turn around and send their kids to private schools. There was a similar thread about Hoboken in this forum not too long ago. I don't like the direction Morristown has taken. That town used to be for everyone, a solid middle class. I am talking about 25 years ago. Really solid citizenry, for the most part.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:09 PM

259 posts, read 925,023 times
I am young and I loves me some Morristown!

Seriously, I could NEVER afford to live there. But I'll be damned if there isn't some of the best night life Jersey has to offer!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:10 PM

717 posts, read 773,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
Excellent post, Bob. Much like NYC under the Guiliani era, the Green around Morristown has been gentrified, and the riff-raff has been pushed to the outer margins. Morristown has put cake frosting over a mound of limburger cheese. You need drive no further than down on the ol Clyde Potts Dr to bear witness to my claim. Then there's the blatant day labor pick up points down on Lackawana Place.

Morristown is a snap shot of 'Blue State' America: a lot of faux-sophistication propped up around a permanent underclass. The new inhabitants with the big money talk about the unfairness of capitalism, the tax code, etc, then proceed to turn around and send their kids to private schools. There was a similar thread about Hoboken in this forum not too long ago. I don't like the direction Morristown has taken. That town used to be for everyone, a solid middle class. I am talking about 25 years ago. Really solid citizenry, for the most part.
Morristown HS Class of 94.
I want to disagree Mike but your assessment is 100% accurate.
All of the bars and restaurants and condos that have opened up around the green while nice, have not solved one problem in that city. The illegal population is incredible and the hollow is still the hollow. Morristown HS now needs metal detectors they didn't have those as of 1994- that makes me cringe.
In my early 20s I lived in an apartment off the green, nothing fancy but it was fun to be near the center of town and go out every Friday and Saturday and bring home some sweethearts for the evening. But in the long run the redevelopment has not solved problems only covered them at the tax payers expense.

The question to be asked - is Morristown a better town now then in 1985?
I guess In some ways it is , in some ways it is not.

Old 04-28-2008, 02:15 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,520,111 times
I drove around and saw some spanish near Morris Plains but its not that bad. I remember Morristown, really being pretty ugly and bad. Now I was 20's then and now I am 40's so its changed to me quite a bit. I am going to find that ol Clyde Potts Dr and the area your taking about, maybe I missed it. Whats ol Clyde Potts Dr? Sounds cool.

As to furniture, I did buy something, and I am also picking up a Surreal painted wall panel. However I made the greatest new discovery!!!! Sunday I drove all around Chester and found a GOLDEN MAGNOLIA TREE, it was the most stunning thing I have seen so I called the place, Plant Detective on 206 and bought the GOLDEN MAGNOLIA, ohhh its gonna be so great in the yard, Im planting it this week!!!! I have never seen a yellow magnolia this guy Wade said its rare and its all mine!!! Now as far as a good time without drugs and booze, thats a long story my friend. I have quite a history, but been sober for a long time now. I had an urge two weeks ago but got thru it. Im clean!!! I am just substituting with furniture and now rare plants and trees. I guess my yard its the next thing I am working on. I still am into the furniture, I plan to take a trip to NC and go to the big shops in a month or two. Life is good for now. I am sober, mom is home and doing pretty good actually , Dad does not sound as depressed and Im helping the economy!!!! Just no more cheesecake, that day set me back quite a bit!!!!!!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:24 PM

13,404 posts, read 28,729,623 times
Quote:
I drove around and saw some spanish near Morris Plains but its not that bad. I remember Morristown, really being pretty ugly and bad. Now I was 20's then and now I am 40's so its changed to me quite a bit. I am going to find that ol Clyde Potts Dr and the area your taking about, maybe I missed it. Whats ol Clyde Potts Dr? Sounds cool.

As to furniture, I did buy something, and I am also picking up a Surreal painted wall panel. However I made the greatest new discovery!!!! Sunday I drove all around Chester and found a GOLDEN MAGNOLIA TREE, it was the most stunning thing I have seen so I called the place, Plant Detective on 206 and bought the GOLDEN MAGNOLIA, ohhh its gonna be so great in the yard, Im planting it this week!!!! I have never seen a yellow magnolia this guy Wade said its rare and its all mine!!! Now as far as a good time without drugs and booze, thats a long story my friend. I have quite a history, but been sober for a long time now. I had an urge two weeks ago but got thru it. Im clean!!! I am just substituting with furniture and now rare plants and trees. I guess my yard its the next thing I am working on. I still am into the furniture, I plan to take a trip to NC and go to the big shops in a month or two. Life is good for now. I am sober, mom is home and doing pretty good actually , Dad does not sound as depressed and Im helping the economy!!!! Just no more cheesecake, that day set me back quite a bit!!!!!!
Clyde Potts Dr is far from cool...public housing..drunks...don't go sight seeing there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey