Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2020, 01:19 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,091,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxblue100 View Post
Ok, so we’ll never send our students back to school again? Because this virus is going to remain with us, and we may never have a vaccine. Case in point: I went to the beach yesterday. There was a minuscule chance I could’ve gotten killed on the way there barreling down the Garden State Parkway in a steel box. Someone could’ve been going the wrong way, and that would’ve been the end of me. But I went anyway. Do you get scared when you get in your car? When you go on a date and then it goes well and you go back to their place, there’s a minuscule chance they’ll jump you or kill you. But you don’t stay single and never go on a date again because of the microscopic risk, do you?

Expecting people to hide forever, to the extent that you seem to expect it, or for at least another year until we have a vaccine, is really truly delusional. If you want to, then do it. But don’t expect schools to do the same thing. I graduated college in May, so it no longer applies to me, but my university began in-person classes last week and they’re doing just fine. I can’t tell which side of this you’re on, so I apologize if you were being sarcastic and saying people are being silly by being so scared. But if you’re on the extremely paranoid side, you’re going to have to get used to people resuming their lives. The beach I was at yesterday was jam packed with people that decided they don’t want to hide anymore and are ok with the minuscule risk of becoming seriously ill, if they even get COVID at all.
It shouldn't be about locking oneself down forever. However, we can take care of the things we CAN control. Using your example: of course one could die at anytime on the highway. But to increase chances of survival, we're 'supposed' to wear seatbelts, follow traffic laws etc.

We can't (and likely won't) be locked down forever, but it's doubtful we can go back to business as usual pre-covid...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 05:28 PM

4,183 posts, read 5,067,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
...it's doubtful we can go back to business as usual pre-covid...
We can, must, and will.

Old 09-04-2020, 04:46 PM

820 posts, read 973,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JG183 View Post
We can, must, and will.
Bad news, JG. It looks like a second total lockdown (like we had in March, not like we have now) is pretty much inevitable. To be honest, if that happens, I’m not listening. I’ll consider offing myself because I’d rather be dead than to live like that again. But with this governor running things, it’s not a matter of if he locks down again, but when. https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/...n-how-big.html

Old 09-04-2020, 08:40 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
My son went to the local pub this evening to eat wings. There were few people in there --maybe 12-- when he arrived. It started to fill up to table seating and outdoor seating before he left. He said that no one wore masks while entering, leaving, or going to the restrooms.

Old 09-05-2020, 05:34 AM

19,138 posts, read 25,349,686 times
Quote:
To be honest, if that happens, I’m not listening. I’ll consider offing myself because I’d rather be dead than to live like that again.
My best friend from my undergraduate days is quite conservative, but he still sees the need for shared responsibility if we--as a nation--are to overcome this health emergency. Not too long ago, when we were discussing the anti-mask/anti-science/anti-social distancing folks he said the following:

If we had self-centered, non-cooperative citizens like that during WW II, we would all be speaking Japanese and German now.

Old 09-05-2020, 06:58 AM

50,834 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
My son went to the local pub this evening to eat wings. There were few people in there --maybe 12-- when he arrived. It started to fill up to table seating and outdoor seating before he left. He said that no one wore masks while entering, leaving, or going to the restrooms.
That sucks. The. Those people will be the first complaining if things shut down again. Cutting off their nose to spite their face. I’ve noticed a lot more people in stores with their mask under their nose, including the security guy at the desk in my moms rehab facility which is also a long term care facility too.

Old 09-05-2020, 09:30 AM

4,183 posts, read 5,067,201 times
Quote:
It looks like a second total lockdown (like we had in March, not like we have now) is pretty much inevitable.
I disagree.

Old 09-05-2020, 10:13 AM

1,017 posts, read 788,197 times
Quote:
Bad news, JG. It looks like a second total lockdown (like we had in March, not like we have now) is pretty much inevitable. To be honest, if that happens, I’m not listening. I’ll consider offing myself because I’d rather be dead than to live like that again. But with this governor running things, it’s not a matter of if he locks down again, but when. https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/...n-how-big.html

Murphy made it clear already if businesses act like "Knuckleheads" or the numbers goes up he's ready to shutdown again or reverse order. Murphy acts more like an overprotective parent then anything.

I just feel bad for businesses nobody will survive after this

Old 09-05-2020, 10:15 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,550,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banksock View Post
Murphy made it clear already if businesses act like "Knuckleheads" or the numbers goes up he's ready to shutdown again or reverse order. Murphy acts more like an overprotective parent then anything.

I just feel bad for businesses nobody will survive after this
Well, when people behave like ill mannered 5 year olds, that's what you get and the rest of us have to pay the price.

Old 09-05-2020, 03:39 PM

820 posts, read 973,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
My best friend from my undergraduate days is quite conservative, but he still sees the need for shared responsibility if we--as a nation--are to overcome this health emergency. Not too long ago, when we were discussing the anti-mask/anti-science/anti-social distancing folks he said the following:

If we had self-centered, non-cooperative citizens like that during WW II, we would all be speaking Japanese and German now.

Well, I’m not following it if it happens. Even if businesses are closed, my friends and I have still agreed we’re going to get together for dinner and drinks at each other’s houses frequently like we do now. I’m 22 years old. I’m not throwing away what are supposed to be my prime years to protect myself from a virus I have 99% chance of surviving. If there is a waiver for me to refuse medical care in the event I get COVID, please send it my way. I’ll sign it in a heartbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey