Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 31,008 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My wife and I are moving out of Manhattan (tired of living in a shoebox) and would like a single family house (with large yard) in a nice, safe place (near entertainment and some retail) about 30-45 min by train to Penn Station. Our price range is around 800K. Any suggestions? We have no idea where to begin looking.
Many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2006, 09:06 PM

70 posts, read 380,694 times
Default Edison may satisfy your requirement ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnnyc View Post
Hi,

My wife and I are moving out of Manhattan (tired of living in a shoebox) and would like a single family house (with large yard) in a nice, safe place (near entertainment and some retail) about 30-45 min by train to Penn Station. Our price range is around 800K. Any suggestions? We have no idea where to begin looking.
Many thanks
Edison may satisfy your requirement ... as from Edison Train Station to Midtown Penn Station only 40 minutes, along the station there is a street call Central Ave that has many nice houses. The only thing not quite fit is those houses may cost $500,000 to $600,000 ...

Another town is Piscataway, and you can use Dunellen Train Station, and the house bigger, more yard, and near Menlo Park Mall and Bridgewater Commons Mall... and you may be able to get very nice house with big yard for $800,000 or under.

Manhattan is too expensive! I was taking a look at this Toll Brother condo tower near Union Square, it asking $1.25 million, is 5 times of Edison Hollow South 2br condo that can walk to Edison Train Station.

There is a section in Piscataway near Edison Train Station that I visited the other day called Grammercy Park, seems to meet all your criteria, but, again, may not cost you $800,000, may even cost you less than $600,000

If you really want to spend $800,000, you can consider Highland Park, that has everything you want and including the price range ... very safe, it is a Jewish town ... By the way, Edison/Piscataway/Highland Park ... they all together, and they were ranked top 10 safest area in the nation ...

Old 12-31-2006, 11:55 PM

4,414 posts, read 5,147,018 times
Quote:
Hi,

Many thanks
If you are looking for true suburban charm at that price range:
Westfield
Madison
Maplewood
Montclair
Cranford
Fanwood

Old 01-01-2007, 10:19 AM

2,819 posts, read 10,400,582 times
Quote:
Hi,

Many thanks
Try North Caldwell, home of the Soprano's filming.
Very nice area plus you can drive a couple miles to the Mall in the morning and take the Bus right into the Port Authority.
Nice, calm, cheap, ride.

Homes will start in the 600's but a very nice location.

Old 01-02-2007, 11:58 AM

4 posts, read 44,444 times
Default Nice places

Chatham and Summit are upscale and very suburban with about a 40 minute train ride to Midtown. If your looking for a town with a bit more nightlife, consider Morristown, about 55 minutes from manhattan by train. It all depends on whether or not you have a car which is pretty much a necessity living in NJ. But with your price range Morris county will probably satisfy your needs for quality of life.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:11 AM

2,806 posts, read 16,366,147 times
Yeah, Chatham, Summit, Milburn, Madison, Short Hills, and Livingston sound like good fits.

Morristown is nice, but pretty far from NYC. Morristown bills itself as Hoboken-west though as a result of all of the bars and restaurants (of course it still won't be the same as what you are used to in NYC.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:03 PM

84 posts, read 567,310 times
Default Schools??

All, of the areas you've listed on this thread, which have the most desirable schools? NJ is one of the areas we are considering relocating to commuting distance to Manhattan.....at the top of my list is not just commutable distance but good schools and more than a postage stamp to live on...I also have a son that needs good special ed. services, he's ADHD with mostly organizational issues....we would also consider good private school in the area. Thanks for any help!!

Old 01-03-2007, 10:37 PM

70 posts, read 380,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bemn View Post
All, of the areas you've listed on this thread, which have the most desirable schools? NJ is one of the areas we are considering relocating to commuting distance to Manhattan.....at the top of my list is not just commutable distance but good schools and more than a postage stamp to live on...I also have a son that needs good special ed. services, he's ADHD with mostly organizational issues....we would also consider good private school in the area. Thanks for any help!!
Yes, all the town listed above are very nice town, the only quiteria seems to be "the closer to NYC, the more costly the housing", but since you are moving out of NYC, it seems any town above would look very cheap to you ...

Old 02-27-2007, 09:30 AM

1 posts, read 28,441 times
Default best commutable areas with adhd schools

I have a son with adhd so I know a lot about the schools and i am a realtor so I know alot about neighborhoods,
my advice to you is West Windsor or Princeton, West Windsor has a train station and the special education is superb especially for adhd, there are also a few good private schools and you can even get the township to pay for these schools, for your price range you will find very nice houses and the township is also very afluent.

Old 02-27-2007, 10:09 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,930,483 times
Quote:
Hi,

Many thanks
Ridgewood is great and has everything that you have listed. Probably the best downtown in the North West Bergen County area. Excellent restaurants and shopping. Good commute to the city - train and bus. Top schools, very safe, etc. The only problem could be getting a large yard for $800K.

We just moved here about a month ago and so far we LOVE it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey