Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 01:51 PM

45 posts, read 152,847 times

Advertisements

Sadly both would be bad for NJ and IMHO I am still out on who is the lesser of two evils...

What I do know though is that we the people need to stop electing these millionaires and billionaires that have no idea what it's like for families struggling for health insurance ....failing schools ....(yup most of them send their kids to private schools ) yet they decide how our money is gonna be spent on education go figure....
We need to stop feeding into the welfare and social programs that only enhance the decay of America I've seen the Welfare ...Health care system abused in every way here...I really don't know if it will ever end but until these politicians can truly understand the issues and plight of everyday families ..and reward hard work and not nepotism ....eliminate the corruption at all levels then we can go somewhere ...but it has to Start with WE THE PEOPLE ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 01:54 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah07080 View Post
Sadly both would be bad for NJ and IMHO I am still out on who is the lesser of two evils...

What I do know though is that we the people need to stop electing these millionaires and billionaires that have no idea what it's like for families struggling for health insurance ....failing schools ....(yup most of them send their kids to private schools ) yet they decide how our money is gonna be spent on education go figure....
We need to stop feeding into the welfare and social programs that only enhance the decay of America I've seen the Welfare ...Health care system abused in every way here...I really don't know if it will ever end but until these politicians can truly understand the issues and plight of everyday families ..and reward hard work and not nepotism ....eliminate the corruption at all levels then we can go somewhere ...but it has to Start with WE THE PEOPLE ....
I couldn't agree more. problem is..it takes millions and billions to run a campaign election. The little guy or gal won't every stand a chance!

Old 07-22-2008, 02:02 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I couldn't agree more. problem is..it takes millions and billions to run a campaign election. The little guy or gal won't every stand a chance!
You know, you never really WANT to agree with the Iranian President (not even going to try and spell his name here....) but the truth is, he was on 60 min and they were saying how the elections in Iran are not fair, etc...

He said "And they are in the US? Are you telling me anyone can be president in the US?"

Truth is - we can't.

I agree there is abuse in EVERY level of our society - BUT I think we as a nation tend to jump on the "immigrants" and "welfare" and the like as the real downfall of our nation. While there are arguments to be made there, the REAL corruption and waste is at the top - it's giving tax breaks to billionaires. It's corporate welfare. It's allowing the US and our ESSENTIAL services (ports to Dubai? CSX?) to be sold to other nations. It's allowing most of our good paying jobs to be offshored.

Our middle class is shrinking and that is the backbone of our country. If it doesn't straighten out soon, I KNOW we will not be a "power" anymore.

I remember in 1987, my friends dad who was an Economist said "By the time you guys have kids that are of working age, they will have to leave our country to find jobs the way people are coming here." I thought that was preposterous...now I'm not so sure.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
You know, you never really WANT to agree with the Iranian President (not even going to try and spell his name here....) but the truth is, he was on 60 min and they were saying how the elections in Iran are not fair, etc...

He said "And they are in the US? Are you telling me anyone can be president in the US?"

Truth is - we can't.

I agree there is abuse in EVERY level of our society - BUT I think we as a nation tend to jump on the "immigrants" and "welfare" and the like as the real downfall of our nation. While there are arguments to be made there, the REAL corruption and waste is at the top - it's giving tax breaks to billionaires. It's corporate welfare. It's allowing the US and our ESSENTIAL services (ports to Dubai? CSX?) to be sold to other nations. It's allowing most of our good paying jobs to be offshored.

Our middle class is shrinking and that is the backbone of our country. If it doesn't straighten out soon, I KNOW we will not be a "power" anymore.

I remember in 1987, my friends dad who was an Economist said "By the time you guys have kids that are of working age, they will have to leave our country to find jobs the way people are coming here." I thought that was preposterous...now I'm not so sure.

Excellent post! Your friend's dad wasn't too far off!

Old 07-22-2008, 03:10 PM

1,969 posts, read 5,958,790 times
I'm really enjoying reading everyone's posts and seeing how everyone is thinking about this right now. Its interesting. Some of us are willing to take a stand (so to speak) and vote independent, while others feel it would be in our bests interests to pick one of the two front runners because that is what everyone else will do.

I know that its a long shot for an independent to actually win, but we have to start somewhere. Lets say the independent gets a "larger than ever before" vote - what will that say for the next election? Wouldn't it make people more likely to vote that way if thats who they feel would be best?

I don't know - I'm a young (34) married mother, out of work - my husband makes what should be a decent salary - but we find it difficult to pay the bills. We live in a 1600 sq ft cape, in a great town with great schools. We are your average middle class family. Something must be done before I am considered to be poverty stricken.

Old 07-22-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic529 View Post
I'm really enjoying reading everyone's posts and seeing how everyone is thinking about this right now. Its interesting. Some of us are willing to take a stand (so to speak) and vote independent, while others feel it would be in our bests interests to pick one of the two front runners because that is what everyone else will do.

I know that its a long shot for an independent to actually win, but we have to start somewhere. Lets say the independent gets a "larger than ever before" vote - what will that say for the next election? Wouldn't it make people more likely to vote that way if thats who they feel would be best?

I don't know - I'm a young (34) married mother, out of work - my husband makes what should be a decent salary - but we find it difficult to pay the bills. We live in a 1600 sq ft cape, in a great town with great schools. We are your average middle class family. Something must be done before I am considered to be poverty stricken.
I tend to vote for the Democrat. I like the independents but they usually tend to take votes away from the democratic side leaving us with yet another self centered, self serving republican in office!

Old 07-22-2008, 03:48 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times
Quote:
I tend to vote for the Democrat. I like the independents but they usually tend to take votes away from the democratic side leaving us with yet another self centered, self serving republican in office!
AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See, Nic, I just don't think I can wait another 4 years to see if there will be an impact because we voted for an Independent. Especially this year when there is not a strong Independent candidate and no one is really likely to get a large share of the votes.

I COMPLETELY understand where you are coming from. I have a small house with a big mortgage and a big tax bill. My husband had his own business which failed in large part due to the faltering economy. I have a job that will not cut it on it's own. My husband has been looking for a job and after 5 and 6 interviews...we hear nothing. I don't know how much longer my salary and savings will keep us afloat and it scares me to death.

Now, do I think Obama becoming President will change everything... no. I don't. But I KNOW that if McCain gets in it is more making the very rich richer and the rest of us - well, you just deal with whatever we toss at you....

And for those who think "Oh, you'll be taxed to death under Obama..."

I'VE BEEN TAXED TO DEATH UNDER BUSH! I can't tell you what we had to pay in taxes this year DESPITE our current situation which is not great. And his stupid "borrow so we can have a stimulus package" is the DUMBEST idea I've heard in a long, long time. AND they even cut that on us... despite our situation.

So long ramble short, I can't risk wasting my vote to hope that it will say something next time, not when the country is in the shape it is now.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:13 PM

323 posts, read 575,538 times
we all had our chance in the primaries for our first choice( btw i voted ron paul)
many ppl feel he as perot were/are nuts jobs,why?

because they both spoke the truth ,and we Americans dont really wanna know the truth ,we just wanna wakeup and everything be according to our dreams /hopes /agendas

if you/we really want change ,it will require sacrifice on everyones part ,this im afraid noone is willing to do ,so as we speak of change ,what most of us really really mean is ,change for the better of our own circumstance and that my friends is the kinda selfish thinking that got us to this point ,that we face now

btw ,please forgive my punctuation /spelling

Old 07-22-2008, 05:17 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
They are both horrible choices and I will be voting for someone else.

However-you think that it is "great" taxing those who make over $250,000? Please tell me why you think that is great. Let me guess-your answer will be because "they can afford it"? I don't understand this jealousy/hatred/envy whatever for the rich or for those "perceived to be rich". I personally want lower taxes for all those that actually PAY taxes. How about we start implementing income taxes on those who currently pay NOTHING yet more than likely receive more governmental services than those who make over $250,000? How about getting rid of the EIC and provide tax relief to those of us who DO pay taxes?

They both stink on immigration. The only hope we have is voting in senators and congressman who are pro-American instead of pro-Illegal.

I think we need to look at domestic/off shore drilling. I believe that we can find a proper balance between the need for oil and the environment that MOST Americans can live with. By that I mean people other than the far left environmental wackos and the far right who want to rip up the whole country and drill. There has to be a happy medium.

While he is not getting my vote- I think that McCain would still be better for NJ than Obama.
People with money [250k] and especially people who are truly rich by heart and soul should be fine to pay tax. It's not gonna break my heart if some can no longer afford a mansion by the shore. But what I would really appreciate is affordable healthcare.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:19 PM

11,346 posts, read 16,708,690 times
Quote:

RIGHT!!! Like the Democrats in NJ aren't self serving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey