Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 07:19 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i remember when i was a kid we were driving to my cousins in millburn for a holiday. we accidentally ended up driving through irvington. thats the kind of place you want to drive through the lights to get out of there as soon as possible.
Ehhhhhh.............I frequent a bar once or twice a month in Irvington & never, ever have a problem. I'm a slim white man & that actually works in my favor. All the guys up to no good actually walk away from me. LOL.
I guess they think I'm the Police or whatever.
I'm certainly not implying Irvington is a nice city, but these places have their own way of doing things. Messing with random white people is bad for business.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:59 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Ehhhhhh.............I frequent a bar once or twice a month in Irvington & never, ever have a problem. I'm a slim white man & that actually works in my favor. All the guys up to no good actually walk away from me. LOL.
I'm certainly not implying Irvington is a nice city, but these places have their own way of doing things. Messing with random white people is bad for business.
im not the type of guy to test things out and feel good about myself when i walk out alive. if a place doesnt look good, i dont go.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:30 AM

82 posts, read 396,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
Could you translate that to English ? Start by explaining what is meant by "there".
it was a responce to someone wondering why Jersey City was at the top of the list that I based my research on, I said it was bad but not like Newark/Irvington/East Orange. I agreed with someone elses comment of all three of those areas being the most dangerous in the country if you put them together. I was stating that it would be up there with Chicago, Detroit, New Orleans, Washington DC, etc. Does that answer your question?? and I was speaking english...clearley

Old 05-14-2009, 11:37 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,804,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
I worked in Irvington regularly for 13 years. I had plenty of problems there. Just like Newark, East Orange, Jersey City and Paterson. Car theft (break ins, larceny) , mostly, as well as the occasional verbal assault.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Let1213 View Post
Linden is harmless and so is union city as far as Elizabeth, Newark, and Irvington if your not from those areas than yea its pretty bad. I live in Irvington and I sometimes visit friends in newark and there are some blocks some people should not walk down. But I will say this even though Irvington Newark and Elizabeth are bad towns there are some parts of those city's that are very nice places you can live. I dont really visit Jersey city like that but I have heard its not good out there either in fact that dont like people from Irvington or Newark.

Linden is harmless......no...its not. The area surrounding Roselle is nicknamed crack alley, its where the crime in Roselle and Linden meet. Infact go to google map and take a look around East Baltimore Ave near St.George ave, and the streets around it like, John St, Charles St, or Union St you'll see why its called Crack alley. Dont even get me started on the area bordering Elizabeth on route 1 and 9, my friend witnessed someone getting shot right on route 1 and 9 and called 9-11. And that was Linden, well the bad side of Linden anyway, 65% of Linden is nice

Old 05-16-2009, 09:26 AM

1,302 posts, read 4,574,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonutz nj View Post
Linden is harmless......no...its not. The area surrounding Roselle is nicknamed crack alley, its where the crime in Roselle and Linden meet. Infact go to google map and take a look around East Baltimore Ave near St.George ave, and the streets around it like, John St, Charles St, or Union St you'll see why its called Crack alley. Dont even get me started on the area bordering Elizabeth on route 1 and 9, my friend witnessed someone getting shot right on route 1 and 9 and called 9-11. And that was Linden, well the bad side of Linden anyway, 65% of Linden is nice

To me the only street that looks bad is East Baltimore ave.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:37 AM

526 posts, read 2,068,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Probably because it was worse before, but has gotten quite a bit better. There's a bit of lag time when it comes to changing perceptions (also, I feel that people tend to think of these cities under one umbrella, so the rougher cities end up tarnishing safer cities and safer areas). Union City is actually a pretty nice place. Even Jersey City and Elizabeth, despite somewhat alarming crime rates, have good areas.
The difference with Elizabeth is that it's on the decline, unlike Jersey City (I can't speak about Union City). Elizabeth used to be a nice city with some bad areas. Now it's a bad city with some nice areas. That's the difference.

Old 05-16-2009, 10:20 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,276,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonutz nj View Post
it was a responce to someone wondering why Jersey City was at the top of the list that I based my research on, I said it was bad but not like Newark/Irvington/East Orange. I agreed with someone elses comment of all three of those areas being the most dangerous in the country if you put them together. I was stating that it would be up there with Chicago, Detroit, New Orleans, Washington DC, etc. Does that answer your question?? and I was speaking english...clearley
(1) No, it doesn't answer the question. What do you mean by there is "a lot of crime there", according to your so-called "research" ? In particular, what do you mean by "there" ? Do you mean that a lot of crime takes place somewhere in Jersey City ? Jersey City is a very big place, so "somewhere in Jersey City" doesn't narrow it down a whole lot -- it's like saying that there is "a lot of crime in Essex County".

(2) You didn't understand my point about combining Newark, Irvington and East Orange. The point is, that if some bonehead did "crime statistics", and added up the crime for all of Essex County, they could conclude that Essex County has a high crime rate (because the crime in these towns is more than enough for the entire town.

Does it follow for example, that because Essex County has a high crime rate, that Essex County is dangerous ? If not, then does it least follow that most of Essex county is dangerous/bad/whatever ? If not, why not ?

(3) You weren't "speaking English" (you were writing), and you weren't doing it "clearely". You wrote an ungrammatical run-on fragmant that wasn't terribly coherent.

Quote:
according to research there is alot of crime there, not like Newark, East Orange, and Irvington and yes if we combined those 3 it would probably be the most dangerous in the country

Old 05-16-2009, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elflord1973 View Post
(1) No, it doesn't answer the question. What do you mean by there is "a lot of crime there", according to your so-called "research" ? In particular, what do you mean by "there" ? Do you mean that a lot of crime takes place somewhere in Jersey City ? Jersey City is a very big place, so "somewhere in Jersey City" doesn't narrow it down a whole lot -- it's like saying that there is "a lot of crime in Essex County".

(2) You didn't understand my point about combining Newark, Irvington and East Orange. The point is, that if some bonehead did "crime statistics", and added up the crime for all of Essex County, they could conclude that Essex County has a high crime rate (because the crime in these towns is more than enough for the entire town.

Does it follow for example, that because Essex County has a high crime rate, that Essex County is dangerous ? If not, then does it least follow that most of Essex county is dangerous/bad/whatever ? If not, why not ?

(3) You weren't "speaking English" (you were writing), and you weren't doing it "clearely". You wrote an ungrammatical run-on fragmant that wasn't terribly coherent.

omg when I research these places, I research them as a whole, If you look up jersey City on a website it will give you the number of certain crimes and murders, not by area, by the whole city. Whatever happens in the city no matter where it is, it counts as a jersey city crime. Im not saying all of Jersey City is bad. But mathematically, if you take the population of people and the number of personal crimes committed you can figure out the percent of how dangerous some of the city can be. Jersey Citiy is made of of parts but the area is called Jersey City we all know that, whatever part is worse obviously makes up the most crime.

and Essex county has a high crime rate, but there are alot of towns in Essex county that are nice with little crime, but we all know NEWARK and IRVINGTON and ORANGE and EAST ORANGE is what makes up most of the crime in Essex county and im not saying those places dangerous based on statistics, im saying that they are dangerous because they really are, and if you go there you're chances are real good of somthing bad happening to you. But the statistics and number of crimes are also there as proof, the "bad" towns have the highest numbers of crime, its the truth. And Jersey City was one of them, when you look up Jersey City it doesnt explain statistics by each area, no, it counts as a whole.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
To me the only street that looks bad is East Baltimore ave.
lol just cuz one street looks ok doesnt mean its ok, there is crime there, Roselle has crime, Linden has crime and Elizabeth has crime, the border of Roselle and Linden is bad and the border of Elizabeth and Linden is evern worse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey