Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 08:46 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,733,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
And given the major slowdown in the construction industry in NJ (and in the US in general), the chances of him getting into the IW local is slim to none. I haven't checked the website recently, but I'd be willing to bet that there are plenty of folks riding the benches at the hall right now.

My one son is an A Book union pipefitter, he has all the work & OT he can handle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 08:55 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,493,158 times
i know you need a job NOW, but do you think you can go to a trade school or community college? that will help you make more money in the long run.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:34 AM

142 posts, read 565,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
And given the major slowdown in the construction industry in NJ (and in the US in general), the chances of him getting into the IW local is slim to none. I haven't checked the website recently, but I'd be willing to bet that there are plenty of folks riding the benches at the hall right now.
Hmn, my husband's hall which is out of Kennilworth, there aren't many men sitting on the bench. But yes, there has been times in which it has come and go in waves. They accept applications every summer (june/july). Being a "jack-of-all-trades" on the job, like my hubby is, will get you more work, however I wouldn't necessarily say that the chances of getting into a trade union is slim to none though. Now, for housing construction (like carpenter's union)....that may have a different story to tell. But when it comes to commercial steel buildings and bridges, there's plenty of work as far as I see. Oh, and you always, always have the opportunity to "boom out" (work on a project in another state. Like my BIL is working in NY at the moment). IWs do that alot.....especially if there's not alot of work going on at the moment, the good thing about being in this union is that you can boom out to another state for a week, or two, or three....etc. So you're never stuck..... The pay is great that way too, as they pay for your room & board, etc.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:06 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,609,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
My one son is an A Book union pipefitter, he has all the work & OT he can handle
Bastid!!!!!!!!! LOL - I actually tried to get a pipe fitters job with Transit! Figured being female, I'd get in with no problem!!! Seems my pale white skin was the issue not my sex. But I can't complain... it has been the reverse for much, much longer!

Old 09-22-2008, 01:10 PM

526 posts, read 2,068,946 times
Yes, great pay … and believe me you PAY for it. I’ve got a couple friends that are iron workers and I can tell you this: They drink EVERY day and talking to them about their jobs is like talking to a veteran about war … hushed tones and another sip of the brew. Give it a try if you wish, but I’ve seen the mental toll it takes on these workers.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:17 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,606,265 times
To get the best pay you have to look for a job that has trouble getting qualified workers. The easy jobs like office and retail clerks are easy to hire for and get paid next to nothing as you are seeing. The jobs that have high stress or require special skills or advanced training all pay much better. A much looked over class of higher paid jobs are those with social stigmas such as sanitation worker, hazmat cleaning, etc.

If you don't have a degree, specialized knowledge or skill, no time to sit in class and aren't afraid of getting dirty or heights or uncomfortable working conditions.....there are plenty of jobs out there that pay well and have trouble getting candidates. Just think dirty jobs. Look around for a task that is especially unpleasant or dangerous or smelly and find out who does it. There will very likely be empty positions with the agency or company that is in that business and their chief job requirement will probably be a warm body that is willing to work.

Good Luck with your hunt.

Old 09-22-2008, 01:24 PM

142 posts, read 565,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post
Yes, great pay … and believe me you PAY for it. I’ve got a couple friends that are iron workers and I can tell you this: They drink EVERY day and talking to them about their jobs is like talking to a veteran about war … hushed tones and another sip of the brew. Give it a try if you wish, but I’ve seen the mental toll it takes on these workers.
Ok...that is the most ignorant and stereotypical statment I've ever heard. Um, excuse me....you can't stereotype EVERY Ironworker in saying that they all drink every day. That is not true. My DH doens't drink a drop. Takes his job very seriously, thank you. (And he doesn't even drink on the weekend....EVER. He's just not a drinker). Sure, alot of the old-timers they do like their drinks and like to tell stories......but please don't act like it's EVERY ironworker. That's like saying office people all they do is sit behind the desk playing computer solitaire all day, or that all male dancers are gay.

The only mental toll it's taken on my husband is pride. Proud to be a Union Ironworker (that doesn't drink, thank you.). And it's something you will never understand unless you've stood on that iron building something.

Don't worry OP, people just get jealous when they see certain trades that make way more then them any day. So they feel the need to put other trades down. If your interested in this, let me know and I can send you the information.

Last edited by Mammaof2girls; 09-22-2008 at 01:33 PM..

Old 09-22-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-TOWN-R.I.P. View Post

At one time the IW union had many many Native American workers

Old 09-22-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
Bastid!!!!!!!!! LOL - I actually tried to get a pipe fitters job with Transit! Figured being female, I'd get in with no problem!!! Seems my pale white skin was the issue not my sex. But I can't complain... it has been the reverse for much, much longer!
he works for F & G mechanical...he was not a college boy..liked working labor and with his hands, so hubby and I said pick a trade union and that is what he picked..5 years apprenticeship and then he became a journeyman..good pay & bennies for sure

Old 09-22-2008, 01:33 PM

646 posts, read 2,668,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbnjbound View Post
My wife and i moved from out of state...times have been very tuff since we got back to jersey...bills have got higher and pay has been cut in half...

I need to find a stable job with decent pay $25/hr+++ with plenty of overtime available!!!....i dont have a degree so i was thinking some kind of government job like workin for the township????

Please help with any suggestions you have to support my wife and baby girl!!!

Thanks in advance for all the valued advice...
Maybe you should get off you can and look for yourself ,if you think(lol) there are jobs like that out there then you need to go out and find them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey