Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2008, 04:44 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
LOL

Thats precisely the same as asking "Has hearing <insert racial slur> impacted your life"
No, it is not the same thing. The "N" word has an inflammatory history.

I don't use that word, and I don't use "cracker" either. And I don't think anyone should throw racial slurs at anyone else.

But don't try to compare the experiences behind these words, because there is no comparison whatsoever.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:57 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times
I asked him if there was any impact on his life. If he was dealing with a hostile type environment (maybe at work or at home) because of this and the words were just part of it. In that case I would think he would be moved to do something about it.

I am a sticks and stones type of person myself but if you have not walked in someone's shoes you really don't know what they deal with. I have been called all kinds of names in my life but it is not the same thing as experiencing racism. I always assume that everyone has some personal bias against someone. But what Black people in the US and in other parts of the world have dealt with is far beyond mere words.

As for the idea that a hot chick is just a hot chick- well maybe in a perfect world. But there are parts of this country right at this very moment where it is not safe for a black male to acknowledge hot chicks. Not out in the open anyway. He will know without being told.

Old 10-17-2008, 05:10 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
you know the most discriminated group are fat people. For example your black, you go with the black, Catholic go with the Catholics however when your fat nobody wants you!!! I know fat women who will not date a fat guy, or vise versa. I know employeers wont hire a fat person. I know fat people who critize other fat people!! When your fat and I am talk really fat not just 20 lbs NOONE WANTS TO BE AROUND YOU! I have seen this first hand with sister, and a few people I worked with in Social work.

I have a good friend who is female and weights 325 lbs. Now, look I know this is a choice, and I am not saying lets cry and feel sorry for them however I have seen first hand how lousy she is treated by others in public. Its terrible! She is very qualified to work in the medical field but really takes the brunt of her weight at her job. Routinely passed up for advancement, kinda throw them in the back room attitude. She is qualified and nothing wrong with her brain! However she is so unappealing to look at that she wont ever get ahead. Like I state I know she is making her own choices and can change her weight. However me being an ex druggie I see her problem the same as mine. Its not easy and she is very discriminated again. Thanks have a good night Marilyn

Old 10-17-2008, 06:09 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
Medically I am considered Obese. I have never seen or felt any sort of body size discrimination. Maybe Im lucky? Usually, people either like me or not based on my personality (I tend to rub people the wrong way sometimes). My doctor always gives me crap but as a doctor thats his job. I hate getting on airplanes (I have a hard time fitting in the seat) and, even then, people are generally nice and accomodating. 'Maybe' they are calling me phat white cracker, whale or a fat phuk in their heads? I dont know Ive never gotten the impression that they were.

Maybe its because shes a woman in the medical field? Maybe people are quicker to judge her because they feel she should know better type thing kinda? Theres still ALOT of sexism in the world as well and I know guys that treat women horribly, fat women even worse but they either have fat guy friends and/or are fat themselves. Makes no sense to me.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:16 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
No, it is not the same thing. The "N" word has an inflammatory history.
Depends on how far back you go, and who is using it.

Old 10-17-2008, 08:58 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuCullin View Post
Depends on how far back you go, and who is using it.
There are no conditions on this. The truth is the truth.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:48 PM

2,736 posts, read 9,671,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
There are no conditions on this. The truth is the truth.
Exactly. Which is why it depends on how far back you go, and who is using it. Read a history book or two.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:42 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
you know the most discriminated group are fat people. For example your black, you go with the black, Catholic go with the Catholics however when your fat nobody wants you!!! I know fat women who will not date a fat guy, or vise versa. I know employeers wont hire a fat person. I know fat people who critize other fat people!! When your fat and I am talk really fat not just 20 lbs NOONE WANTS TO BE AROUND YOU! I have seen this first hand with sister, and a few people I worked with in Social work.

I have a good friend who is female and weights 325 lbs. Now, look I know this is a choice, and I am not saying lets cry and feel sorry for them however I have seen first hand how lousy she is treated by others in public. Its terrible! She is very qualified to work in the medical field but really takes the brunt of her weight at her job. Routinely passed up for advancement, kinda throw them in the back room attitude. She is qualified and nothing wrong with her brain! However she is so unappealing to look at that she wont ever get ahead. Like I state I know she is making her own choices and can change her weight. However me being an ex druggie I see her problem the same as mine. Its not easy and she is very discriminated again. Thanks have a good night Marilyn
You are right. It's like the last acceptable prejudice.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:43 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,953,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
Medically I am considered Obese. I have never seen or felt any sort of body size discrimination. Maybe Im lucky? Usually, people either like me or not based on my personality (I tend to rub people the wrong way sometimes). My doctor always gives me crap but as a doctor thats his job. I hate getting on airplanes (I have a hard time fitting in the seat) and, even then, people are generally nice and accomodating. 'Maybe' they are calling me phat white cracker, whale or a fat phuk in their heads? I dont know Ive never gotten the impression that they were.

Maybe its because shes a woman in the medical field? Maybe people are quicker to judge her because they feel she should know better type thing kinda? Theres still ALOT of sexism in the world as well and I know guys that treat women horribly, fat women even worse but they either have fat guy friends and/or are fat themselves. Makes no sense to me.
I think it's more against women, but it can go either way.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:45 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,838 times
Cucullin now an expert on history. Time for the ignore button.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey