Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:11 PM

43 posts, read 127,714 times

Advertisements

Was it because a lot of people got paid this weekend? I got paid on Friday, because 15th fell on a weekend...
I was at Short Hills Mall today, and I thought the same thing. Parking was packed and every store was decently crowded!
But I bet, this holiday season won't bring retailers much money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2008, 09:17 PM

1,369 posts, read 4,638,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taro View Post
Was it because a lot of people got paid this weekend? I got paid on Friday, because 15th fell on a weekend...
I was at Short Hills Mall today, and I thought the same thing. Parking was packed and every store was decently crowded!
But I bet, this holiday season won't bring retailers much money.
Ah! I didn't think of that. My pay goes direct deposit and well...I just don't think about it but I can assume you are correct-a-mundo!

Shanny

Old 11-16-2008, 11:23 PM

11 posts, read 54,694 times
I work at the Barnes & Noble at the Palisades Mall in West Nyack, NY (I'm from Bergen, though). Being in a mall, our store basically operates in extremes. By that, I mean that we're extremely slow during the weekdays but we get slammed on weekends. Obviously this is true of any retailer, but the crappy economy brings this out even more. In the last couple months, we've virtually never made our sales plan on weekdays, but on weekends we usually hit it by a decent margin. This was true on Sunday all throughout the day...we got slammed.

I have a few ideas of what might be the cause of this (aside from obvious ones), but none substantial enough to really share.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:01 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,760,111 times
Do you think maybe the media is just overhyping as usual??

I honestly think that if they would just SHUT UP things would begin to regulate. I really won't even watch the news anymore because I'm so sick of hearing about how bad things are. I don't like being depressed!!!!

I've been out every weekend and I don't see any slow down in shoppers. It's driving me crazy to keep hearing how bad everything is and yet, the stores are packed.

You would think they'd want to report happy news for a change.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:08 AM

1,972 posts, read 5,421,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Do you think maybe the media is just overhyping as usual??

I honestly think that if they would just SHUT UP things would begin to regulate. I really won't even watch the news anymore because I'm so sick of hearing about how bad things are. I don't like being depressed!!!!

I've been out every weekend and I don't see any slow down in shoppers. It's driving me crazy to keep hearing how bad everything is and yet, the stores are packed.

You would think they'd want to report happy news for a change.
Ummm...when there's something "happy" to report, I'm sure they will. I know that it seems like everything is gloom & doom nowdays but reality is the whole country is in a big mess, sure, you may see people still shopping but I assure you that they've cut their spending budget.

It's like this, remember when oil was $147 a barrel and gas was at over $4? Everyone up in arms and talks about drilling domestically, look now at the oil prices and everyone seems to forget and relax and think everything is fine & fixed because they think paying $2 a gallon is "ok". They still reporting the happy/good news about oil prices coming down, but no one makes a big fuss about it.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:28 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,760,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07860 View Post
Ummm...when there's something "happy" to report, I'm sure they will. I know that it seems like everything is gloom & doom nowdays but reality is the whole country is in a big mess, sure, you may see people still shopping but I assure you that they've cut their spending budget.

It's like this, remember when oil was $147 a barrel and gas was at over $4? Everyone up in arms and talks about drilling domestically, look now at the oil prices and everyone seems to forget and relax and think everything is fine & fixed because they think paying $2 a gallon is "ok". They still reporting the happy/good news about oil prices coming down, but no one makes a big fuss about it.

I get what you are saying, however, you don't think their ratings are going through the roof with everyone glued. You know the old saying, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Well their ratings aren't broke right now, why fix them. We need more than just oil prices going down for good news. They have completely stopped human interest stories, etc. I think jamming it down our throats about everything gloomy isn't helping anyone. Don't you think if we felt better, things would get better.

No, I'm not a shrink or anything like that. Just trying to use some common sense. And looking for something to look forward to or just make me feel good.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:27 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,933,144 times
I have been amazed at how busy the stores have been here as well. Two weekends ago I was unfortunate enough to go to The Willowbrook Mall on a Sunday afternoon. It was absolutely jam packed. I was forced (you can tell this was a good day for me) to go into Sephora to buy some perfume. The place was a zoo. There were 3 registers open and at least 5 people in line before us. I was watching each item getting rung up and I don't think anyone spent less than $40 and most spent way more than that.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:56 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,586,399 times
I repped ya Shanny just for something non-depressing about the economy.

My sales are still down by 40%.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:00 AM

1,507 posts, read 5,906,750 times
Lightbulb Air Waves too

Even the radio stations are playing Christmas Music in Mid October 97.5 FM is guilty of that...

Economic Stimiulus Those sly little buggers are getting us all to listen & think about shopping earlier.

Dear Shanny, The problem is simple. It was SUNDAY. Oiy Yay!!

We make a point of NOT stepping foot in a store on Sat or Sun unless we are in dire need of an item.
I totally understand that some people have not other choice but to shop on weekends.

I hit the Christmas Tree Shops HARD last week. Used 20% coupon of total purchase. Yeahhhhhhhh

Old 11-17-2008, 02:07 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,949,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
I get what you are saying, however, you don't think their ratings are going through the roof with everyone glued. You know the old saying, if it isn't broke, don't fix it.

Well their ratings aren't broke right now, why fix them. We need more than just oil prices going down for good news. They have completely stopped human interest stories, etc. I think jamming it down our throats about everything gloomy isn't helping anyone. Don't you think if we felt better, things would get better.

No, I'm not a shrink or anything like that. Just trying to use some common sense. And looking for something to look forward to or just make me feel good.
Does the media over hype - yes. But this is a foolish argument. The proof is in the #'s. It does not matter how crowded a parking lot is or how long a line was at any given store, unless sales are good...things are bad. Look at the #'s coming in from retailers and you can tell we're in a pinch. Anyone who thinks this economy is just a creation of the media is in seriously sad denial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey