Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 10:18 AM

523 posts, read 3,805,252 times

Advertisements

interesting that this thread just resurfaced...i posted over in the "backyard predators" thread in the garden forum today...im in mendham, nj.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kronenborg View Post
yesterday evening, while walking around our land, i found a dismembered deer leg (taken off at the shoulder). i didnt look too hard, but couldnt find the rest of the deer. there are no dogs around here, so presume this had to be the work of a coyote...rather alarming given that it was less than 100 metres from the house, and i have two children under 3 yrs.

ive never actually seen a coyote, but have only been in the area for a few months, and know that apparently both coyotes and bears are not uncommon in the area.

is there anything i can/should do about this?

i should add that i found this in our field, which is left almost entirely unmanaged, and has more or less reverted to meadow, with waist-high grass...i recently cut a number of paths through the grass so my wife and i could walk through there with the children and avoid getting ticks, but i wonder if i have created the perfect deer-ambush channel for predators who can lurk in the long grass and pounce out at the appropriate time

Last edited by kronenborg; 10-14-2009 at 10:41 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 10:43 AM

4,085 posts, read 8,787,372 times
I used to see them all the time at the rest stop at exit 172 of the GSP (usually very early morning). I haven't seen them in a few years, they probably were killed, the poor things.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:40 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
While eastern coyote are larger than western coyote, they are not big animals. Coywolves are bigger, but I don't think that they've reached NJ. They've been seen in western NY and northwestern PA.

Coyote are pack animals, hunt in packs. They might go after rodents, rabbit or other small game alone, but nothing of size. They usually shy away from people and attacks are very rare; coyote might attack people when starving or rabid. That said, I wouldn't leave a small child outside alone for a minute even in a fenced yard if coyote are hanging around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizer7 View Post
I found this blog about coyotes in Bergen County today as I Googled “Coyotes in Tenafly Englewood New Jersey”. I saw two coyotes in my backyard today October 14, 2009 around 7am. I know the local dog that ventures to my backyard every once in awhile and this didn’t resemble a dog I have seen. They had grey shabby fur, long snouts and with shaggy tails pointed towards the ground as they scurried through my yard into the brush. They are smaller than I imagned they'd be after hearing stories about their presence in Bergen County. Also, i was shocked to see two as I thought they were solitary creatures that travled by themselves? Anyway, I open the door to scare them off and they traveled back towards me to take refuge in the tall bushes behind my house. I decided to head back inside. Moments later I saw them come back through the yard towards the street (Lewelen Circle Englewood, NJ). It appeared as though they were looking for something and they kept a pretty interested demeanor outside and this scared me a bit as I have two young children. Have there been any recent incidents of coyote sightings in Tenafly, Englewood or Bergen County? If so, are they aggressive? Do they attack?

Old 10-14-2009, 04:09 PM

66 posts, read 194,518 times
No Coyote sightings, but I saw a red tailed fox on the Hohokus/Waldwick border on West Saddle River Road last week. He was crossing into a wooded area known for deer. Beautiful animal.

Old 10-14-2009, 05:58 PM

523 posts, read 3,805,252 times
i see plenty of foxes in our field, but have never spotted a coyote. hence me wondering if there was another reasonable explanation for the deer leg i found. for those who might care to see what i found (***and if you dont want to see a detached deer leg, dont open this link***) this is what i found in the field: http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...00_4213720.jpg

Old 10-15-2009, 12:41 PM

633 posts, read 1,950,170 times
There here in Manalapan, coyote and red fox.
Breeding in Battleground park.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:37 AM

367 posts, read 959,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drizer7 View Post
Have there been any recent incidents of coyote sightings in Tenafly, Englewood or Bergen County? If so, are they aggressive? Do they attack?
There have been sightings in the Pascack Valley area. Eastern coyotes are very secretive and are not known to be aggressive. That being said, if you let your cat roam, especially at night, don't plan on seeing it again.

Old 10-17-2009, 08:07 PM

3 posts, read 14,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
While eastern coyote are larger than western coyote, they are not big animals. Coywolves are bigger, but I don't think that they've reached NJ. They've been seen in western NY and northwestern PA.

Coyote are pack animals, hunt in packs. They might go after rodents, rabbit or other small game alone, but nothing of size. They usually shy away from people and attacks are very rare; coyote might attack people when starving or rabid. That said, I wouldn't leave a small child outside alone for a minute even in a fenced yard if coyote are hanging around.
Hey Gerania I just joined up tonight. You're in South Jersey?
I'm in Hammonton, and the feedback I'm getting from hunters that I know is that coyote are growing in population here in South Jersey. I spend a lot of time in the woods (Wharton Tract, mostly) and I've seen my share of coyotes...black bear too. I had a Game warden tell me recently 'If you're going to spend time in the wood, it's a good idea to take a big stick with you...just in case' I already carry a hiking stick so now I'm wondering if bear spray is a good idea too...I'd appreciate any feedback.
I've heard way too many horror stories of coyotes and small pets...and of course there are the couple of children that got chewed up a bit further north in New Jersey back in '07. I doubt a healthy coyote would attack a grown man. A black bear isn't (IMO) a likely problem either assuming you're not getting in her way when she's got cubs with her. So...it's either stay outta the woods during cubbing season...or keep your eyes open and your bear spray handy

Old 12-01-2009, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 6,794 times
Default Coyote spotted today in Holland Township

As I turned onto Javes Road in Holland Township (Milford/Hunterdon County) this afternoon a coyote jumped out of the mowed corn fields and onto the paved road, loping along in front of my slowly moving car for about 60 seconds. Had a dead rabbit in his mouth. I call it a "coyote" only because I'm told there are no wolves in NJ. HOWEVER, this animal was huge, as big or bigger than a large german shephard, minimum 75 lbs. Beautiful, full and healthy coat. It loped into some covered brush right beside the road; I stopped my car and got out to take some pictures while it devoured the rabbit. He was no more than 20 feet from me and completely unconcerned with my presence. He looked right at me, I spoke in a quiet voice and he simply continued to eat. He was not afraid of me at all --- blase and not nervous. After 5 minutes of watching him, he very casually picked up the rest of the rabbit and walked slowly and purposefully into the brush. I took a photo on my cell phone --- not very good shot. His head and snout were very large and square shaped -- not pointy like a coyote. If he's a coyote --- then he's huge, and I'm never letting my dog out alone again!
Attached Thumbnails
Coyotes in NJ?-coyote.jpg  

Old 12-01-2009, 03:28 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmanbacchus View Post
Hey Gerania I just joined up tonight. You're in South Jersey?
I'm in Hammonton, and the feedback I'm getting from hunters that I know is that coyote are growing in population here in South Jersey. I spend a lot of time in the woods (Wharton Tract, mostly) and I've seen my share of coyotes...black bear too. I had a Game warden tell me recently 'If you're going to spend time in the wood, it's a good idea to take a big stick with you...just in case' I already carry a hiking stick so now I'm wondering if bear spray is a good idea too...I'd appreciate any feedback.
I've heard way too many horror stories of coyotes and small pets...and of course there are the couple of children that got chewed up a bit further north in New Jersey back in '07. I doubt a healthy coyote would attack a grown man. A black bear isn't (IMO) a likely problem either assuming you're not getting in her way when she's got cubs with her. So...it's either stay outta the woods during cubbing season...or keep your eyes open and your bear spray handy
Wow, I don't know if I'd want the bear close enough to have to use the stick. I haven't seen a bear down here yet. I think that the bear spray is probably a good idea.

kimtudor, you're right, that doesn't look like a coyote. Look at the first picture with this article. It was taken near Port Jervis in 2006. You may have seen a coywolf...or maybe a wolf! Nice shot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey