Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 03:52 AM

403 posts, read 1,190,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
You want to see racists? Try living in Newark......and being white.
Dude........I guarantee no one has ever bothered you in Newark solely for being white. If you were bothered it was because they thought you had money.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twista6002 View Post
I'm white and live in Newark. Almost 3 years now in the Central ward. I've never had a racial slur thrown at me nor been attacked, insulted or threatened on the basis of race.
But......that can't be true. It's not possible to live in Newark and NOT be bothered if you're white. I mean......this is Newark we're talking about. Surely that city can't be full of honest, law abiding black people who mostly get up and go to work or school everyday and mind their own business. This is NEWARK......they must all just stand on the corner all day waiting for a random white person to walk pass so they can attack them. I mean after all this is what the news tells me. This is what people in the New Jersey forum on CD say every single day so it MUST be true. There's no way a white person can spend that much time in Newark and never be bothered. Are you sure you don't live in Newark, Delaware?

(I hope you picked up on my sarcasm)

Old 12-15-2009, 04:38 AM

315 posts, read 871,781 times
Angerinthenation>>>>>>
You,re probably right- - I know this is a NJ thread- However I hope your not pining that moniker soley on NJ- every state in this country has communities and towns that are racist to some degree- It would be unfair to say NJ is one of the most racist states in the country- - we do have more nationalities living here, from middle easterners, to Indians..etc...etc...(you get the idea) that people cant get used to- - Its a, "as long they,re not in my town thing"
NJ has a bigger problem because we are more diversified than many other states, we should be a model to follow- not a state that still has this same issues, year after year- decade after decade * *
Another thought- I think a racist is someone who acts out - where as someone who is predjudice is less visable and contists of a larger segment of the population- - anyway>

The more people deal everyday ,in business or in thier private lives with people who are different -sooner or later they will realize that we,re all not very different- we may just have different customs and historys- - and no-one is going anywhere, so they might as well get used to it. Learn from 1 another -

Diversity should be positive thing, but I think too many look for the negitives- -you can find both,but
-why search for the negitive in someone or some culture, when you can learn so much more focusing on the positive contributions different races or cultures provide..??
ceffo

Anger-
Just out of couriosity(sP)-what would you do or suggest to people who are considered racist?. What would you tell these people, to ease thier fears that all people ,-not like them,- are against them?? Some of these people have been raised in different times & never grew with the times- - How do we convince those people that this type of thinking was wrong 200 years ago and is even wronger today?? How does one become part of the solution,instead of part of the problem??
best regards
ceffo

Last edited by tceffo; 12-15-2009 at 05:14 AM..

Old 12-15-2009, 11:51 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,672,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
Dude........I guarantee no one has ever bothered you in Newark solely for being white. If you were bothered it was because they thought you had money.
true. When I go to Camden, Newark, Trenton, Phila, etc. I am harassed or potentially harassed because I don't seem local. If I were white and not black/Latin, I would be harassed for the same reason. Just because I look like many people in the hood does not keep me from being a potential target.

NJ is racist - or to state it another way - there are lots of racists in New Jersey.

But there are also lots of racists in every state, and in every country. It's just part of the price you pay for living on this planet. Some of us pay a steeper price than others.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:26 PM

1,489 posts, read 3,090,579 times
I think you'll find racism declining as soon as you get rid of Al Sharpton. Why do black people let someone like that represent them. Form an alliance and tell him to shut up, he makes the black population look bad. Let the president speak for the black community when necessary now.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:39 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,672,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
I think you'll find racism declining as soon as you get rid of Al Sharpton. Why do black people let someone like that represent them. Form an alliance and tell him to shut up, he makes the black population look bad. Let the president speak for the black community when necessary now.
Yes, Al Sharpton is the reason there is racism in America. Brilliant deduction.

BTW, Sharpton speaks only for Al Sharpton. I speak for myself. As for the President, he speaks for the black community, the white community and all other communities in the sense that he is the duly elected leader of the United States of America. Mod cut

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-15-2009 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: Not necessary.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowitsshowtime View Post
So he makes the whole black community look bad as opposed to only making Al Sharpton look bad?

Moderator cut: personal attack

Old 12-15-2009, 07:33 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,276,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nauticadon View Post
But......that can't be true. It's not possible to live in Newark and NOT be bothered if you're white. I mean......this is Newark we're talking about. Surely that city can't be full of honest, law abiding black people who mostly get up and go to work or school everyday and mind their own business. This is NEWARK......they must all just stand on the corner all day waiting for a random white person to walk pass so they can attack them. I mean after all this is what the news tells me. This is what people in the New Jersey forum on CD say every single day so it MUST be true. There's no way a white person can spend that much time in Newark and never be bothered. Are you sure you don't live in Newark, Delaware?

(I hope you picked up on my sarcasm)
I can appreciate your sentiment here (anti-stereotyping)...but if you really believe that the vast majority of Newark's residents are hardworking people with legit jobs...I'm not sure I'd sign up for agreement on that one. If you drive through many of Newark's neighborhoods during a summer weekday, you'll see lots of folks sitting outside drinking or just hanging out. I wouldn't put my money on the fact that they all have night shifts at their places of employment.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:35 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,276,343 times
Blatant racism exists everywhere in the world.

Blatant racism exists much LESS in the US than anywhere else in the world.

Blatant racism exists much LESS in NJ than *most* places in the US.

If you disagree...I'd suggest more domestic travel.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:50 PM

1,014 posts, read 2,889,823 times
^True.

If you want to see some hate, check this documentary out:

Hulu - Vanguard: From Russia With Hate - Watch the full episode now. (http://www.hulu.com/watch/91531/vanguard-from-russia-with-hate#s-p3-n1-so-i0 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey