U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 08-08-2010, 06:48 PM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
701 posts, read 1,439,508 times
Reputation: 210

Advertisements

I agree valley is not "Dangerous" but it is not the best area in the world and is lower socio-economic then the rest of west orange along its neighbors to the west. A note on Livingston, when you talk about saleability down the line, Livingston down the line will be different then it is today. Maplewood, South Orange, Montclair diverisfied then leveled out this decade, West Orange has diversified and is leveling out. The next town is Livingston, I know people wont believe but TRUST ME Livingston will change, give it time but in 20 years Livingston is over 15% black. Again this is not a bad thing its just law of averages.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-08-2010, 07:03 PM
 
Location: NJ/NY
9,640 posts, read 9,479,590 times
Reputation: 6769
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
I agree valley is not "Dangerous" but it is not the best area in the world and is lower socio-economic then the rest of west orange along its neighbors to the west. A note on Livingston, when you talk about saleability down the line, Livingston down the line will be different then it is today. Maplewood, South Orange, Montclair diverisfied then leveled out this decade, West Orange has diversified and is leveling out. The next town is Livingston, I know people wont believe but TRUST ME Livingston will change, give it time but in 20 years Livingston is over 15% black. Again this is not a bad thing its just law of averages.
I'm not understanding your link between "15% black" and "saleability". This is 2010. 20 years from now, it will be 2030. Is there really still a link? What is going to decrease the "saleability"? Will the school system go downhill? Will the crime rate go up?
Of the black people that I am friends with in town now, all are professionals, nice, and not any different from me and my family. This isn't the 1960s. People are much more concerned with people being good neighbors than they are about the color of the person. If what you say comes to fruition, I doubt there will be any "white flight" to cause people to sell their houses below market value.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2010, 07:17 PM
 
1,894 posts, read 3,707,486 times
Reputation: 4538
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
A note on Livingston, when you talk about saleability down the line, Livingston down the line will be different then it is today. Maplewood, South Orange, Montclair diverisfied then leveled out this decade, West Orange has diversified and is leveling out. The next town is Livingston, I know people wont believe but TRUST ME Livingston will change, give it time but in 20 years Livingston is over 15% black. Again this is not a bad thing its just law of averages.
When I posted about saleability in Livingston, I was strictly talking about 2 things:

PROPERTY TAXES
SCHOOL SYSTEM

I can't believe you are saying that "diversity" (code word: BLACK PEOPLE) detracts from the desirability of a town.

I also can't believe that within the span of 1 week, I am posting on this forum, defending my former town against accusations that it:

1) is ALL exclusive, snobby white people and the only black people in town are in uniforms.

2) is 15% black now, turning more black looking forward 20 years.

So, which is it, people? Are Livingston residents standing at the town gates with their pitchforks and torches with "No Black People" signs? Or are we "Diverse" with a capital "D"?

The amount of wrong information on this forum is astounding.
And some of the views that are tossed around here so nonchalantly are appalling.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2010, 11:50 PM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
701 posts, read 1,439,508 times
Reputation: 210
I agree with you, I personally dont care what color my neighbors I think diversity is great. I am just saying that a school system with a higher minority population is percieved as not as good. West Orange has great programs just like Livingston, yet people prefer Livingston because the school system is more white, I am not saying I do I am saying in general. I was getting at that for a long term investment Livingston is the same as west orange because in the long term they will be very similar. I appoligize if my comment was percieved as racist, I was taking a shot more at Livingston then at black populations.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2010, 11:51 PM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
701 posts, read 1,439,508 times
Reputation: 210
Oh Livingston also has horrible property taxes, as does all of west essex.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 06:50 AM
 
Location: NJ/NY
9,640 posts, read 9,479,590 times
Reputation: 6769
Quote:
Originally Posted by nykstevenyg View Post
I agree with you, I personally dont care what color my neighbors I think diversity is great. I am just saying that a school system with a higher minority population is percieved as not as good. West Orange has great programs just like Livingston, yet people prefer Livingston because the school system is more white, I am not saying I do I am saying in general. I was getting at that for a long term investment Livingston is the same as west orange because in the long term they will be very similar. I appoligize if my comment was percieved as racist, I was taking a shot more at Livingston then at black populations.
Here is where you are wrong. You are assigning the different rankings in the school systems to the degree of minority students in them. This is a false presumption. Livingston was ALWAYS ranked a lot higher than West Orange. I grew up in Livingston. My wife grew up in West Orange. When we were kids, and West Orange was almost all white, the school system STILL ranked much lower than Livingston. The fact is, that West Orange had a big blue collar white population back then, while my parents and all of my friend's parents in Livingston were professionals. My wife's parents sent her and her brothers to Newark Academy, because they loved West Orange, but not the school system.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 06:53 AM
 
Location: NJ/NY
9,640 posts, read 9,479,590 times
Reputation: 6769
And dont get me wrong. I am not trying to dis the West Orange schools. They are good for what they are, but they are not at the top.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 07:33 AM
 
3,261 posts, read 4,526,238 times
Reputation: 3963
I live in West Orange and the debate about property taxes and the schools sytem seems to be one that has existed for years.

Here is my take:
The West Orange school system is actually very good. If we were able to compare it to Livingston, soley on the basis of quality of teachers, programs and enrichment, I wouldn't be surprised if we were relatively comparable. Many of my good friends live in Livingston and their children, IMO, are not receiving a better education than mine.

I think the problem is frankly primarily a factor of the demographic make-up of each town.

Given that school ratings are ultimately based on the entire student population's results and not on much else, consider these factors:

West Orange has a significantly larger transient/renter population than Livingston, i.e. less stability for those children to grow in the system and adjust

West Orange has a significantly lower average household income, therefore I think it would be safe to assume that many households have less excess income for tutors and other after-school enrichment programs

West Orange has a significantly higher population of ESL students. I think that affects the parent's ability to be more helpful and involved with their child's education.

Otherwise, I see absolutely no reason why a child can't receive a terrific education in West Orange. I know mine does and is on the AP track in school.

Relative property tax burden now that's a whole other story.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 08:14 AM
 
Location: West Orange, NJ
12,542 posts, read 17,739,387 times
Reputation: 3681
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Here is where you are wrong. You are assigning the different rankings in the school systems to the degree of minority students in them. This is a false presumption. Livingston was ALWAYS ranked a lot higher than West Orange. I grew up in Livingston. My wife grew up in West Orange. When we were kids, and West Orange was almost all white, the school system STILL ranked much lower than Livingston. The fact is, that West Orange had a big blue collar white population back then, while my parents and all of my friend's parents in Livingston were professionals. My wife's parents sent her and her brothers to Newark Academy, because they loved West Orange, but not the school system.
from research I did, WO high school was highly ranked in the mid 90s by publications such as the Washington Post. Seems as of late, they generally get ranked around 100 of the NJ schools. I don't necessarily know the history of Livingston (though i did hear that the influx of asian population in the early 80s did help the math scores improve back then - don't actually know if that's true) but I think the moral is, WO schools are plenty good enough, they just aren't among the best in the state. I'm not saying they shouldn't improve, but from conversations I have had on here and out in the world, I think a lof of jersey folks don't realize how good even NJ "average" public schools are compared to many other parts of the country.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2010, 08:30 AM
 
Location: NJ/NY
9,640 posts, read 9,479,590 times
Reputation: 6769
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
from research I did, WO high school was highly ranked in the mid 90s by publications such as the Washington Post. Seems as of late, they generally get ranked around 100 of the NJ schools. I don't necessarily know the history of Livingston (though i did hear that the influx of asian population in the early 80s did help the math scores improve back then - don't actually know if that's true) but I think the moral is, WO schools are plenty good enough, they just aren't among the best in the state. I'm not saying they shouldn't improve, but from conversations I have had on here and out in the world, I think a lof of jersey folks don't realize how good even NJ "average" public schools are compared to many other parts of the country.
Umm, you seem to have been misinformed. I was in the school system in the early 80's and I had less than 5 Asian students in my year. Same goes for the classes ahead of me and behind me. The school system was ranked at the top BEFORE the Asian population grew. In fact, the good school system is probably a large part of the reason the first Asian families decided to settle there. Dont forget, it was a very Jewish town predating the years when many Asian families moved in.
As for West Orange, I'm sure the Washington Post used different criteria than the local NJ folk use. Its easy to rank a school sytem from 200 miles away, but it isn't always reflective of the local's opinions. Even in it's heyday, WO was never ranked at the top in NJ.
...Actually, I shouldn't say that, because I dont know about the mid 90's, but I can say in the late 70s and early-mid 80s it was not ranked highly.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 08-09-2010 at 08:44 AM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top