Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:21 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times

Advertisements

Gov. Christie urges Port Authority to build trash-hauling rail station | - NJ.com

Christie should put more Pressure on Bloomberg for the Cross Harbor Freight tunnel. That would eliminate the need for this disgusting smelly Trash Hauling station. Why is it always the NJ Gold Coast that has to take New York's crap? Why can't NY send it upstate , they seem to be getting lazy lately. First the proposed Oil pipeline under Bayonne & Jersey City and now this? The PA has better things to build , like the Replacements for the Bayonne & Goethals Bridge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2010, 12:24 AM

912 posts, read 2,445,683 times
Did you read the first paragraph of the article?

Quote:
Gov. Chris Christie urged the Port Authority to buy the proposed site of a barge-to-rail transfer station that would keep as many as 1,000 trash-hauling trucks a day off New Jersey roads.
How is this a bad idea?

Old 05-18-2010, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
Did you read the first paragraph of the article?

How is this a bad idea?
A Tunnel is better and would remove alot of Trucks form Urban Jersey and NYC and improve the region's Rail flow. It would also be a Dual Tunnel , Freight / Passenger. I don't why no one pushes for the tunnel , the best and longer lasting option. Also the stench form this place is going to be huge.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:17 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
I'd think you'd be happy, seeing how they're moving the containers onto rail cars instead of onto trucks. And who said it'll be smelly? The article says they're moving "sealed shipping containers"- they're not moving open piles of trash.

And why spend billions on a tunnel when you can move material across an existing river for free? Do you really think either NJ or NY has an extra couple billion dollars for a tunnel?

Old 05-18-2010, 06:53 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
Sometimes I think you complain for the sake of complaining. Currently there are countless heavy duty trucks filled with piles of garbage moving across the GW, Holland and Lincoln Tunnels into NJ and using our highways to transport the garbage to dumps across NJ and PA.

They want to put the garbage into sealed containers, load them on barges and transport them to a rail head where the still sealed containers will be placed on trains to be moved to the dump. It sounds like a win-win solution using intermodal freight systems like they are supposed to be used.

No need to spend billions on a tunnel when this can be done far cheaper and still achieve the desired effect.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
Sometimes I think you complain for the sake of complaining. Currently there are countless heavy duty trucks filled with piles of garbage moving across the GW, Holland and Lincoln Tunnels into NJ and using our highways to transport the garbage to dumps across NJ and PA.

They want to put the garbage into sealed containers, load them on barges and transport them to a rail head where the still sealed containers will be placed on trains to be moved to the dump. It sounds like a win-win solution using intermodal freight systems like they are supposed to be used.

No need to spend billions on a tunnel when this can be done far cheaper and still achieve the desired effect.
A freight tunnel would be more efficient and take other trucks off the road. to which dump , out of state or in state , that is the question? hahah , complain for the sake of complaining , nah. On this topic i make good points , but i wouldn't think you understand them. Its more of a Rail / Transit community type thing , people who like me think it would be better just to do the Tunnel. Its complicated for an average person to understand.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:17 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
A freight tunnel would be more efficient and take other trucks off the road. to which dump , out of state or in state , that is the question? hahah , complain for the sake of complaining , nah. On this topic i make good points , but i wouldn't think you understand them. Its more of a Rail / Transit community type thing , people who like me think it would be better just to do the Tunnel. Its complicated for an average person to understand.
How is replacing barges with a tunnel going to take more trucks off the road??? You want to build a multi-billion dollar tunnel to move trash under the river, when it can be moved across the river on barges with no new infrastructure- explain how that makes sense.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:17 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,668,651 times
An average person? I think most average people can understand. You obviously have no idea who I am or what I do, similarly to how I really don't know who you are or what you do. Would it surprise you to know that I'm a career transportation and fleet management professional? Would it surprise you to know that previous to my current position as an analyst consulting with large transportation (including your beloved rail roads) and vocational truck fleets regarding their maintenance that I was the asset manager for one of the largest trucking conglomerates in the U.S. that includes OTR, Dedicated, 3PL, intermodal (rail and ocean) and warehousing operations?

I can agree with you that a rail freight tunnel would be more efficient and be able to do other things in addition to the garbage hauling. However, you can't overlook the economics of the proposed system that is able to be implemented quickly and at minimal cost. In a time of tight budgets and capital markets making the decision to choose the cost-effective option that still provides the main benefit you are seeking is known as intelligent decision making. The problem with rail freaks is that you can't look past your passion.

You are bemoaning the fact that they didn't choose the method you thought was best (maybe it would give you something to do adding the tunnel to your train platform?), while I am praising the fact that they are making a positive decision that won't cost my grandkids capital + interest.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
How is replacing barges with a tunnel going to take more trucks off the road??? You want to build a multi-billion dollar tunnel to move trash under the river, when it can be moved across the river on barges with no new infrastructure- explain how that makes sense.
Because the Rail Tunnel , would go into the Boroughs and eliminate the need for barges. Also it would go onto LI and cut down on Truck Traffic form Jersey to LI and NYC. Eventually you will need a tunnel, so why not build it now ? + It would also improve regional trade , which is kinda of bad atm by rail east of the Hudson.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
An average person? I think most average people can understand. You obviously have no idea who I am or what I do, similarly to how I really don't know who you are or what you do. Would it surprise you to know that I'm a career transportation and fleet management professional? Would it surprise you to know that previous to my current position as an analyst consulting with large transportation (including your beloved rail roads) and vocational truck fleets regarding their maintenance that I was the asset manager for one of the largest trucking conglomerates in the U.S. that includes OTR, Dedicated, 3PL, intermodal (rail and ocean) and warehousing operations?

I can agree with you that a rail freight tunnel would be more efficient and be able to do other things in addition to the garbage hauling. However, you can't overlook the economics of the proposed system that is able to be implemented quickly and at minimal cost. In a time of tight budgets and capital markets making the decision to choose the cost-effective option that still provides the main benefit you are seeking is known as intelligent decision making. The problem with rail freaks is that you can't look past your passion.

You are bemoaning the fact that they didn't choose the method you thought was best (maybe it would give you something to do adding the tunnel to your train platform?), while I am praising the fact that they are making a positive decision that won't cost my grandkids capital + interest.
Rail Freaks , wtf? Actually we look ahead , and that was insulting. We plan for the future , unlike people in the career of Transportation which lately over the past 10 years have done poorly in planning things around here. Honestly , i hate Freight trains , but this Tunnel and line are needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey