U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Who is the right choice for New Mexico in 2010!
Susana Martinez - Republican 64 62.14%
Diane D. Denish - Democrat 39 37.86%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-16-2010, 02:13 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM - Summerlin, NV
3,457 posts, read 3,546,363 times
Reputation: 682

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
That's a strange response, nowhere did I say anything against drinking responsibly.

I think it's valid to look at how the candidates run their campaigns and who they hire, and what kind of behavior we see from the people they hire. To Denish's credit, she has not tried to make an issue of this drunk driving incident. But if we're going to elect someone who will be at the head of our state government and who will pick people for various offices in state government, I'm going to watch closely how the candidates make decisions leading up to the election. Especially Martinez, since I'd never heard of her until a few months ago. Denish is a familiar figure to me and has built my trust over the years.

This article in the Ruidoso News called "Diane Denish has done her homework on budgetary issues" points out that Martinez' website has three paragraphs about her economic plans for the state, while Denish has six pages. According to the article's author, Martinez "has platitudes, not plans," while Denish offers real beef. I like the article's last sentence: "It's painfully obvious that one candidate has given the state's budget a great deal of thought. The other? The dog ate her homework."

The only reason you really support Diane Denish is because she is for Domestic Partnerships.

Lets get real dude, with the House and Senate under control by Democrtas it will NEVER happen. Democrats in New Mexico will continue to push this to the side. And you think Diane is going to do something? hell no she is not.

This is a election, they will say what the people wanna hear. Most Democratic voters in this state do not even support Domestic partnerships.

I would rather have someone like Susana, who is real where she stands!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-16-2010, 05:16 AM
JBM
 
Location: New Mexico!
533 posts, read 572,405 times
Reputation: 403
I remember a poll that said 60 or 70 percent of people in New Mexico are FOR Domestic Partnerships… I'd imagine that many of them are democrats. And if domestic partnership is the only issue someone cares about, than Diane Denish is the one to vote for. I'm sure Susana Martinez is only saying what her camp likes to here as well, like you say, that's what politicians do. Domestic Partnership is a very important issue… I support it. I would rather be protected by the state than be left alone. Diane has tried to get it to pass the last few sessions, so I trust her on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2010, 07:29 AM
 
Location: Marlborough, MA
1,783 posts, read 2,609,293 times
Reputation: 713
Of course they are for domestic partnerships. I'm puzzled by the support of a very conservative politician by an openly gay poster...it's like an African-American supporting Strom Thurmond or David Dukes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2010, 08:51 AM
 
2,866 posts, read 4,224,554 times
Reputation: 1632
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
I would rather have someone like Susana, who is real where she stands!
Where does she stand? She's a little light on actual details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2010, 10:15 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque
5,552 posts, read 9,592,859 times
Reputation: 2467
Quote:
Originally Posted by domino
Where does she stand?
ObStraightLine:
---------------
In front of whatever camera/microphone is present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2010, 01:36 PM
 
Location: ABQ (Paradise Hills), NM
750 posts, read 1,979,565 times
Reputation: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
I would rather be protected by the state than be left alone.
These twelve words pretty much summarize the kind of thinking that has neutered much of what has previously made this country great.

It makes me sad to hear them spoken by a member of the upcoming generation, who seem all to often willing to trade their essential God-given liberties for an illusion of safety or "protection".

BTW, most polling I can recall has a majority of New Mexicans opposed to same-sex marriage (SSM). Support for civil "domestic partnerships" (vs SSM) does tend to be greater than opposition here, but I've never seen a poll that actually has had the "pro" side with an actual majority (only a plurality). As long as the voting public continues to equate domestic partnerships with SSM, I see this issue as a non-starter, particularly with the widespread strong Catholic roots in the state.

Politically speaking, Martinez is on the winning side of this issue and I don't think we'll be seeing Denish playing up her support for this in a major way any time soon.

Chap
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2010, 02:42 PM
 
888 posts, read 621,601 times
Reputation: 600
Yeah, well if being protected by the state, means.....the Patriot Act, Iraq, and Afghanistan.....I'd rather the state leave me alone too.

Anyway, look on the bright side, as far as Susan Martinez.
She could be.......Sharron Angle!!??

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2010, 07:12 PM
 
Location: New Mexico to Texas
4,580 posts, read 9,685,277 times
Reputation: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradly View Post
The only reason you really support Diane Denish is because she is for Domestic Partnerships.

Lets get real dude, with the House and Senate under control by Democrtas it will NEVER happen. Democrats in New Mexico will continue to push this to the side. And you think Diane is going to do something? hell no she is not.

This is a election, they will say what the people wanna hear. Most Democratic voters in this state do not even support Domestic partnerships.

I would rather have someone like Susana, who is real where she stands!
I think most democrats dont even realize who and what they vote for, at least the native New Mexicans, the out-of-staters seem to be much more vocal and extreme of what they want.

I just dont see 60-70% of New Mexican's being in favor, and if they are , then why hasnt it passed already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2010, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
50,183 posts, read 42,699,466 times
Reputation: 21684
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
I would back a Texan like Ann Richards for governor (RIP). Susana Martinez can't hold a candle to Ann Richards, that's for sure. Texas governors since Richards have been, well... I can't use that kind of language here.

By the way, bradly, don't put words in my mouth, please. I am not a single-issue voter and if I cared a whole lot about same-sex marriage I would move to a state where it's legal. This election for me is about who has the experience and knowledge to move the state forward. So far Denish wins, hands down. Martinez has a deficit of experience, knowledge, and ideas.
In your opinion Richardson was the best; do you know the difference between opinion and fact? Most of what you say and most of us say is opinion, you make it sound like fact.

Nita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2010, 12:53 PM
 
2,866 posts, read 4,224,554 times
Reputation: 1632
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
In your opinion Richardson was the best; do you know the difference between opinion and fact? Most of what you say and most of us say is opinion, you make it sound like fact.

Nita
I think we all no the difference between opinion and fact. I can't believe you would even go there, given the emphatic nature of may of your posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:36 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top