Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Who is the right choice for New Mexico in 2010!
Susana Martinez - Republican 64 62.14%
Diane D. Denish - Democrat 39 37.86%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 07:01 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,990,725 times

Advertisements

Nita, I think we are the only ones who really understand New Mexico politics.

I mean I was raised in Nothern NM, politics can not get any more "scummier" haha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 07:10 PM

560 posts, read 1,715,810 times
I don't really like Martinez, but I the Dems are dead to me now. This independent is probably, begrudgingly, voting Republican straight across the board in November.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:26 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,990,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmagana View Post
I don't really like Martinez, but I the Dems are dead to me now. This independent is probably, begrudgingly, voting Republican straight across the board in November.
I would agree, but depending in what congressional district you live in....

I believe all the NM democrtaic congressmen except for Harry are doing well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeandproud View Post
Martinez gets my families vote, its time for some change, its obvious NM is not on the right track the way it is right now.
RIGHT ON!!! Mine too.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:15 PM

5,045 posts, read 7,424,034 times
New Mexico Republicans have hit rock bottom, voted out of all statewide offices, and are understandably upset with their situation and motivated to elect one of their own to whatever office they can, by any means necessary. They're outnumbered almost two to one in the Roundhouse, haven't held the governorship in 8 years, have zero senators and representatives in the US Congress. The best they can come up with now is a DA from Doña Ana County. If elected she probably won't be able to accomplish much with such a heavily Democratic legislature. I can only hope she will be a Mitt Romney Republican, the Massachusetts governor who signed same-sex marriage and universal health care into law there.

Someone remind me... WHY were the Republicans voted out of office in NM?

The last Republican governor we had, Gary Johnson, was a nice guy, but can anyone name something he accomplished besides becoming famous for favoring decriminalization of drugs?

Old 09-07-2010, 09:30 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,030,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post

The last Republican governor we had, Gary Johnson, was a nice guy, but can anyone name something he accomplished besides becoming famous for favoring decriminalization of drugs?
Well, yeah.

From his website:

Some of Governor Johnson's accomplishments include:

•Reducing taxes $123 million annually.
•Eliminating the state's budget deficit.
•Shrinking the size of state government by 1200 employees (without firing anyone).
•Leaving the state government with all-time high bond ratings.
•Enacting major welfare reform, which cut government welfare spending by 30%.
•Shifting state Medicaid to managed care.
•Bringing the New Mexico state government and the Navajo nation leadership together to finally resolve century-old disputes over water, gaming, and other issues.
•Privatizing half of the prisons in the state.
•Shooting down campaign finance legislation.
•Attracting many new private and parochial schools into the state.
•Repealing the Little Davis-Bacon Act, thereby allowing non-unionized labor the ability to be employed in construction of new schools and other public works.
•Overseeing the construction of 500 miles of new, four-lane highway (designed, financed, built, and guaranteed by the private sector).

Gary Johnson for America.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:54 PM

475 posts, read 1,267,857 times
I firmly intended to vote for Martinez but three things have put me off. Maybe somebody can help clarify things for me -- explain the reasons for these things.

1. Her position on tax lightning which is frankly punitive for 40% of the population. (I go into this in another thread.)
2. Her position on medical mj. I myself do not imbibe but I have friends (responsible, intelligent people) who swear by it for certain conditions. And no, they cannot find a prescription drug that works anywhere near as well.
3. Her campaign. I was on her mailing list and I wanted to go see her. But all I'd get is a message around 9 AM in the morning that she would be somewhere at noon. Why didn't she ever say where she would be tomorrow? A politician who doesn't want to meet the people?

Last edited by Santa Fe; 09-07-2010 at 10:27 PM..

Old 09-07-2010, 10:22 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,099,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post

Someone remind me... WHY were the Republicans voted out of office in NM?

He really wasn't that bad from what I've read. But I wouldn't be one to compare him to Susana Martinez. He rode his bike all over the state picking up trash. Of course, he's more libertarian. He's pro same-sex marriage, abortion rights, and drug legalization. SO, he's almost as polar opposite as you can get from her. Johnson was able to at least work with the legislature and do something. If Martinez becomes governor, I have a feeling nothing is going to go on at all in Santa Fe for at least 4 years, and we'll just be reading about the governor and the legislature fighting. Martinez voters won't get any of the change they're looking for, as the legislature won't be along for her ride. AND democrats will really just kinda sit here cause nothing will get done. I doubt it would be anything like Mitt Romney, unfortunately. She's already stated point-blank she would not sign the Domestic Partnership bill. It'll be a long line of vetoes and an entire legislature either having to over ride vetoes or be complacent in nonexistent legislation or watered-down legislation. Martinez herself wouldn't really be able to do too much without the legislature's support, so yeah... Gary Johnson or Mitt Romney she's not, however.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
He really wasn't that bad from what I've read. But I wouldn't be one to compare him to Susana Martinez. He rode his bike all over the state picking up trash. Of course, he's more libertarian. He's pro same-sex marriage, abortion rights, and drug legalization. SO, he's almost as polar opposite as you can get from her. Johnson was able to at least work with the legislature and do something. If Martinez becomes governor, I have a feeling nothing is going to go on at all in Santa Fe for at least 4 years, and we'll just be reading about the governor and the legislature fighting. Martinez voters won't get any of the change they're looking for, as the legislature won't be along for her ride. AND democrats will really just kinda sit here cause nothing will get done. I doubt it would be anything like Mitt Romney, unfortunately. She's already stated point-blank she would not sign the Domestic Partnership bill. It'll be a long line of vetoes and an entire legislature either having to over ride vetoes or be complacent in nonexistent legislation or watered-down legislation. Martinez herself wouldn't really be able to do too much without the legislature's support, so yeah... Gary Johnson or Mitt Romney she's not, however.
I agree with you, but I think Martinez is going to win. Denish has really not done anything to separate herself from Richardson and the corruption of his administration will pull her down.

Denish has come out in favor of ethics in general but keeps her mouth shut about ongoing corruption. She takes contributions from all of Richardson's supporters and returns those contributions only when they get caught with their hands in the public till.

Why? Even Richardson has said that she should distance herself from him. Why doesn't she?

Frankly, I think we have two fairly weird candidates.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:41 PM
JBM

567 posts, read 1,099,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa Fe View Post
I agree with you, but I think Martinez is going to win. Denish has really not done anything to separate herself from Richardson and the corruption of his administration will pull her down.

Denish has come out in favor of ethics in general but keeps her mouth shut about ongoing corruption. She takes contributions from all of Richardson's supporters and returns those contributions only when they get caught with their hands in the public till.

Why? Even Richardson has said that she should distance herself from him. Why doesn't she?

Frankly, I think we have two fairly weird candidates.
I like Denish. As far as corruption, to be fair, Lieutenant Governor really isn't involved or intertwined with a lot of these crazy cases. And also, the fact that Denish wants to have a constitutional convention to make our government much more transparent says that long-term Denish's plan for tackling corruption is actually more thorough than Martinez'. I think given the circumstances, Denish is an all around better pick to me. And now that Martinez is against medical pot, I really don't have much respect for her... I don't have a prescription or anything, but pot is the only thing that keeps my headaches away and my back from hurting to much. It's a natural medicine in my eyes. Why you would want to take it from Cancer and AIDS patients is beyond me, and in my eyes just shows Martinez to be anything but compassionate and humane.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBM View Post
I like Denish. As far as corruption, to be fair, Lieutenant Governor really isn't involved or intertwined with a lot of these crazy cases.
Yes, but

1) she accepts campaign contributions from all these people and gives them back only after they are indicted or forced to resign. And recently, she returned the contributions from the individual, but not his totally owned companies. The ethical difference is ????

2) she is running for office and she can speak out. Why not call for a independent investigation of the ongoing corruption scandal in Santa Fe County? Or promise to launch one if elected? We have the Santa Fe County Sheriff investigating his political allies in the Santa Fe County Democratic party. Does anybody think that is going to be a thorough investigation?

And a constitutional convention is going to be the answer?

I hate to say anything in support of Martinez, but an investigative arm of the state police sounds like a better idea to me.

Denish should start reading the polls and running a smarter campaign. I am beginning to think she is really dumb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico