Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2006, 08:33 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,755 times

Advertisements

Great info. I'm buiding one of these in Norwalk, CT. http://www.aidomes.com/default.html (broken link) with lots of passive & active solar.

Concrete isn't "green" according to some greenies because it's energy intensive to produce but the energy efficiency and durability of these types of homes makes it greener than some of the politically correct homes like straw, certainly more than stick frame. The disaster resistance is a bonus.

Some others to consider:
http://www.monolithic.com/
http://www.domesintl.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2006, 09:26 AM

215 posts, read 840,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
SI just wanted to add to the discussion about concrete slab kitchen countertops. Do you guys like them or not? The plus is they are virtually indestructible. The minus for me is they seem cold to me. Any thoughts?
PROS: They are strong, they look cool, and you can mix any color into the concrete. If you're considering a dome home, concrete might be good because it can be formed into any shape.

CONS: They can stain easily, they are hard on knives (use a cutting board), and they are very heavy. They are often poured in place, though you can make them in sections outside the kitchen and then lug them into place later. Also, as with anything else made of concrete, counters will often crack as they dry and settle. These hairline cracks are generally considered part of concrete's charm, but if you don't like them, go with a solid-surface synthetic counter made to look like stone.

Check out this article:

findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1216/is_1_204/ai_58517812

Old 10-12-2006, 01:25 AM

827 posts, read 5,080,275 times
Great website Geos! American Ingenuity dome homes have a lot of great info! I am headed that way after here to read more. Thanks! Sound like you are going to have a great home! Are you building a small one or a larger one? Are you going to use solar or wind power? What material are you going to use for the dome? The polystyrene mentioned and the exterior insulation a layer of ½” to ¾” thick steel reinforced concrete or another type? I notice companies use different materials. Thumbs up for building one!

Jecc, thanks for the pros and cons. I think maybe I will look into other countertops and I thank you for your candid post. I think they are cold looking too and yes the heavy part I don't like either. I like more lighter materials like wood but I also like durable surfaces. I had a home with granite countertops and they are very beautiful but man are they hard to keep! The stains and such. I just want something easy and durable. Thanks Jecc for the article link and advice!

Last edited by Crackerjack; 10-12-2006 at 02:10 AM..

Old 10-18-2006, 12:13 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
Great website Geos! American Ingenuity dome homes have a lot of great info! I am headed that way after here to read more. Thanks! Sound like you are going to have a great home! Are you building a small one or a larger one? Are you going to use solar or wind power? What material are you going to use for the dome? The polystyrene mentioned and the exterior insulation a layer of ½” to ¾” thick steel reinforced concrete or another type? I notice companies use different materials. Thumbs up for building one!
Thanks. You have a choice of 7" or 9" EPS unsulation. I'll go with 9" since it's not too much more. The rebar is encorporated into the concrete panels. It overlaps when you install the panels.
Quote:
Jecc, thanks for the pros and cons. I think maybe I will look into other countertops and I thank you for your candid post. I think they are cold looking too and yes the heavy part I don't like either. I like more lighter materials like wood but I also like durable surfaces. I had a home with granite countertops and they are very beautiful but man are they hard to keep! The stains and such. I just want something easy and durable. Thanks Jecc for the article link and advice!
Concrete can be very beautiful. It's surprisingly versatile. Check out http://tinyurl.com/yluas6
Concrete Countertops: Design, Form, and Finishes for the New Kitchen and Bath
by Fu-Tung Cheng, Eric Olsen
Concrete at Home: Innovative Forms and Finishes: Countertops, Floors, Walls, and Fireplaces by Fu-Tung Cheng

Old 10-18-2006, 09:35 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,670,925 times
Default Great Thread!

I just wanted to say that this thread about Environmentally Friendly Homes is great! Not only does it provide very useful information, but more importantly, all of you who posted in this thread show the "true spirit" of this forum by taking the time to share your knowledge with each other as well as providing great research material for future viewers.

Thank you and keep up the great posts!

Steel Man

Old 10-19-2006, 01:42 AM

Quote:
by Geos Concrete can be very beautiful. It's surprisingly versatile. Check out http://tinyurl.com/yluas6
Concrete Countertops: Design, Form, and Finishes for the New Kitchen and Bath
by Fu-Tung Cheng, Eric Olsen
Concrete at Home: Innovative Forms and Finishes: Countertops, Floors, Walls, and Fireplaces by Fu-Tung Cheng
Looks like great books Geos! You are an environmental king! I am going to get them at the Amazon site listed. So much more with concrete than I thought. I am "rethinking" concrete. Thanks!
Yeah, I don't blame you going with 9 inch eps, better and I would do the same.

Steel Man - thanks for the kind post and thanks to all who contribute to this thread and forum as well!

Old 10-19-2006, 01:50 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
I don't know much about rammed-earth homes...I'll need to investigate. Are they particular as to climate and soil type? I suppose they would be impractical where the soil is thin on solid rock.

Thanks, Steel Man. This subject is fascinating!

Old 10-19-2006, 01:53 AM

I have read a lot about rammed earth homes and it seems they can be built almost anywhere. They remind me some of the old pioneers who built sod homes. Rammed earth, when compacted, really is like a concrete. A good choice for solid insulation.

Old 10-19-2006, 02:04 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,189,686 times
Are they mostly above ground level?

Old 10-19-2006, 02:14 AM

Yes, they are usually above ground. I thought about incorporating an underground home using concrete where the backfill will be and the front that is exposed to the south, using rammed earth. Just thinking though, not sure yet if I will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico