Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 05:41 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,883,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensgirl View Post
Ah, that's why so many of the locals here winter in Las Cruces. They live here April thru Thanksgiving, then head south! I find I can always bundle up and get warm in the winter (thank goodness for the wood burning stove!), but find it much harder to stay cool.
I agree entirely! You can only take off so many clothes....but it is so easy to add layers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Move to Santa Fe.
Believe me.....I wish I could.

Right now, I have to be close to TX....but where I will go (if indeed I do move again) once I don't have to go back to TX....I don't know!! Between the time I had the contract in Farmington and the time I went back to Alamo, family considerations (stroke, etc) figured into the mix. That is one of the reasons I didn't go back to Farmington after the contract was terminated. Alamogordo is relatively close (430 miles, easy 6 hour drive) when I need to get home, and far easier than Farmington would have been. It is a beautiful place with gorgeous mountains and an easygoing pace of life.

Santa Fe is basically unaffordable for me, so that is another consideration.

My 2 top choices were Durango, CO, and Santa Fe.

This summer may well be an anomaly, so we shall see what it is like over the next few years. I have no idea how long I will stay here, but I will be here as long as I have to drive back and forth. That could be anything from next year to 5 years. By the time that rolls around, I have no clue as to how I will feel.

Santa Fe may well be in my future.....who knows? Wonderful, wonderful place.

Old 06-18-2008, 05:51 PM

801 posts, read 2,213,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jecc View Post
Where does that site show Benson Ridge? If it says 9,800 feet, I'd wonder whether to trust it at all. Benson tops out at 9,400. The highest point in the region is less than 9,700. Not to split hairs or anything. I'm just curious as to where the info is listed and where it came from.
Yeah, I noticed that. Occasionally, they have a RAWS on a tower, but I think the tallest tower on Benson Ridge is probably 9600 feet or so. Their 9826 may be a typo...perhaps it's 9326 or something like that. Cosmic looks pretty accurate at 9100 feet, I think.

Anyway, I know the guys responsible for overseeing maintenance, and I know they try to do a good job keeping the stations up to par. One will break down every once in a while, but, IMO, they are still a very good source of information.

Old 06-18-2008, 06:02 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,030,715 times
Cathy ~

Yes, housing prices are unaffordable right now ... but that might change as the market continues to stall and sellers find they cannot get the exhorbitant prices they are asking.

We got a wonderful deal from some motivated sellers who were not trying to make a gigantic profit on this house. Meanwhile, more expensive ones sit there with no contracts. I think that might cause us to see more home prices start falling.

But I am not a realtor, so my opinion isn't worth too much.

As far as everything else, we shop and eat at the cheapest places, and in that respect, Santa Fe is not much different from our life in the Midwest.

AND .... if you ever come here, remember...we are going to the State Capitol Building to catch a session of the state legislature and make sure they are doing their jobs ... OR THEY ANSWER TO US! (Two crazy out of state transplant women! )

Old 06-18-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Cathy ~

Yes, housing prices are unaffordable right now ... but that might change as the market continues to stall and sellers find they cannot get the exhorbitant prices they are asking.

We got a wonderful deal from some motivated sellers who were not trying to make a gigantic profit on this house. Meanwhile, more expensive ones sit there with no contracts. I think that might cause us to see more home prices start falling.

But I am not a realtor, so my opinion isn't worth too much.

As far as everything else, we shop and eat at the cheapest places, and in that respect, Santa Fe is not much different from our life in the Midwest.

AND .... if you ever come here, remember...we are going to the State Capitol Building to catch a session of the state legislature and make sure they are doing their jobs ... OR THEY ANSWER TO US! (Two crazy out of state transplant women! )
LOL!!! We can go and give 'em h***!!

I am keeping my eye on several different places. I figured that once you bought the RE and paid for it, that the cost of living is probably not that much above the rest of the state. The main expenses (groceries, utilities and gasoline) are expensive everywhere.

So....you just might see me up there one day.

The predicted high for SF tomorrow is 92.....has it been that hot up there?!?

Old 06-18-2008, 06:42 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,030,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post

I am keeping my eye on several different places. I figured that once you bought the RE and paid for it, that the cost of living is probably not that much above the rest of the state. The main expenses (groceries, utilities and gasoline) are expensive everywhere.

The hottest it has been so far is about 88, I think.

I am thinking of finding the real estate people who told us "You really don't need A/C or swamp coolers in SF ... it only gets to 90 a couple days all summer" ... and beating them up.

SHEESH!!! It's only June!!!

(Okay...this is the point where mortimer comes in and makes fun of us.... )

Old 06-18-2008, 06:42 PM

1,569 posts, read 3,403,634 times
Quote:

Because of the affordable housing laws here I"m pleasantly surprised that I am able to buy a home in Santa Fe. I would not have been able to in WA so for me, Santa Fe has turned into an affordable place to live. But it's only because I fall into affordable housing otherwise I'd be out of luck with ever buying. Everything else seems to balance out--some higher, some lower than the NW. According to a gallery owner in my drawing class the expensive houses are still selling but the cheap homes ($300,000!) are sitting. I have no idea if that's true. I'd never be able to afford his idea of cheap--I needed under $200M.

I walked to the plaza and library at lunch today and it didn't seem like 92 (I don't know what the temp was.) There was a slight breeze--gorgeous day--I could have kept walking but had to get back to work

Old 06-18-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
The hottest it has been so far is about 88, I think.

I am thinking of finding the real estate people who told us "You really don't need A/C or swamp coolers in SF ... it only gets to 90 a couple days all summer" ... and beating them up.

SHEESH!!! It's only June!!!

(Okay...this is the point where mortimer comes in and makes fun of us.... )
ROTFLMAO!! You mean you do not have even a swamp cooler?!? OMG!!! And 88?? OUCH.

I suppose it would both be against your restrictive covenants and the looks of the place to get window units?

I'd certainly look into portable inside ACs. Amazon has a few models!

But...it's unusually hot everywhere. Cloudcroft got to 85 yesterday, and broke a record. Granted, that's not horribly hot, but it is for that area, just as 88 probably is for SF. I wasn't aware that it got as high as 90 at times.

I hate summer.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Because of the affordable housing laws here I"m pleasantly surprised that I am able to buy a home in Santa Fe. I would not have been able to in WA so for me, Santa Fe has turned into an affordable place to live. But it's only because I fall into affordable housing otherwise I'd be out of luck with ever buying. Everything else seems to balance out--some higher, some lower than the NW. According to a gallery owner in my drawing class the expensive houses are still selling but the cheap homes ($300,000!) are sitting. I have no idea if that's true. I'd never be able to afford his idea of cheap--I needed under $200M.

I walked to the plaza and library at lunch today and it didn't seem like 92 (I don't know what the temp was.) There was a slight breeze--gorgeous day--I could have kept walking but had to get back to work
Well, I'm really glad it worked out for you, Dancing!! Enjoy!! I guess I'll just have to see how it goes over the next few years. There's really no telling.

But I sure will be glad to see October.

Old 06-18-2008, 10:44 PM

801 posts, read 2,213,330 times
Quote:
It really depends on what part of town you're talking about. Temperatures in Santa Fe typically exhibit a bit of diversity. At the cooperative station in town, temperatures have hit 90 degrees an average of 19.5 times per year since 1972. At the airport (lower elevation, far fewer trees), the average is about 30 times per year. However, quite a few people who live on the western and southern fringes of town experience temperatures similar to the airport. The airport has hit 90 degrees 9 days this month so far, including the last 5. Since the subject of this thread was about dry heat, I'll point out the humidity in Santa Fe was less than 10 percent this afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico