Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 09:29 PM

189 posts, read 296,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
1 cup of dried posole, OR 1 30-oz can of hominy
5-6 cups of water
1.5 lbs of finely diced (or ground) pork
2 chopped onions
2-3 minced cloves of garlic
6 TB ground red chile (pure chile powder with no additives works best).
1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
2 tsp salt
1-2 TB oil/lard/bacon grease

If using dried posole, cook in 5-6 cups of water about 5-6 hours until the kernels start to pop. Bring water level to at least 7 cups. If using canned hominy, just add with the rest of the ingredients.

Brown pork in oil, add onion/garlic/comino, and sauté until soft. Add remaining ingredients, simmer a couple of minutes, then scrape this into water with posole/hominy.

Bring to boil, lower heat, cover, and simmer 2 hours.

For those on low-fat, skip the oil/sauteeing part.
I had Posole for the first time about a month ago. My wife and I loved it.

We liked adding lime and I think cilantro if I remember correctly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
I got this recipe from the Albuquerque newspaper in 1970 when I lived there. It has been a staple in my kitchen ever since. I make it to go with soup, chili, etc.

Dah Diniilghaazh
(Navajo Fried Bread)

4 cups flour
4 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
water

Add enough water to dry ingredients to make soft dough that is not sticky. Work dough until pliable.

Divide into 8 equal portions.

Pat each portion between hands to make 7" circles. Poke a hole in center of each circle.

Fry in very hot oil in skillet until golden brown.

Serve hot ... with butter .... or cinnamon and sugar.

I love fry bread. I had it first when I moved to Phoenix.

I'm seeing some trailers here in Austin do fry bread breakfast sandwiches. Some eggs, cheese and a couple slices added to fry bread and bam....... really really good.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack View Post
Cathy, looks like a great Posole recipe! I may try it when family comes down this weeked. Also I am going to try the bean recipe. YUM! Thanks!
Towanda, I like the fry bread recipe. It is a favorite in the Four Corners region. I know a lady who dips it in butter and then spreads chocolate frosting on them. Talk about fattening! Pretty yummy though!
Thanks for sharing!

I found a HOT chili recipe. This is only for those who like hot fire chili. If you follow the 6habaneros called for, know it feels like your mouth is on fire. I have to reduce it to two habaneros for myself and it is still hot!

Habanero Heckfire Chili -actually has another name but this website blanks out adult words, so I use the alternative.

INGREDIENTS
1/4 pound bacon
1/2 pound ground round
1/2 pound ground pork
1/2 green bell pepper, diced
1/2 yellow onion, diced
3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
3 habanero peppers, seeded and chopped
4 Anaheim peppers, seeded and diced
1 clove garlic, minced
2-1/4 teaspoons ground cumin
1-1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 tablespoon beef bouillon granules
1/2 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 (16 ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, drained
1 (16 ounce) can chili beans, drained
1/2 (12 fluid ounce) can beer
1-1/2 ounces tomato paste
1/2 ounce chile paste
1 cup water

DIRECTIONS
Place bacon in a large soup pot. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain excess grease, leaving enough to coat bottom of pot Remove bacon, drain on paper towels and chop.

Brown beef and pork in pot over medium high heat. When meat is browned, stir in the bell pepper, onion, jalapeno peppers, habanero peppers, Anaheim peppers, garlic, cumin, red pepper flakes, chili powder, bouillon, crushed tomatoes, whole tomatoes, beer, tomato paste, chile paste and water.

Reduce heat to low and simmer for 45 to 60 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans and bacon and continue simmering for another 30 minutes. Serves at least 4.

My notes:
Wear gloves when handling habanero peppers! I reduce the habaneros to two. That is enough for me! For those who don't eat pork, simply eliminate the pork and bacon and increase the ground round to one pound. I have used kidney beans in place of chili beans too. I vary the ingredients as well to fit my tastes, feel free to do the same! Enjoy!
Oh and have water readily available, you are going to need it! The name fits it!

I got this one from allrecipes, a great place for recipes.
This is kind of awesome....... I may just go nutz and try this one...... wow...

I see some common themes in NM cooking.... meat-tomato-chili pepper-onion........

sometimes garlic........

oregano and cumin........

earthy stuff......

Old 07-25-2016, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towanda View Post
Thanks for the tips, Cathy.

I'll start looking around in supermarkets here to see what I can find in the frozen foods department.

Several years ago we could not get green chile at all .... and now there are a few more choices. I haven't looked for frozen green chile in a while but maybe we have it now.

I have several small packets of it in my freezer that I prepared and froze myself from scratch a year ago ..... still hoarding it for a special occasion.
Note to self....... remember this....

serve incredible hatch green chili stew to someone who appreciates it 6 months after hatch chili season is over........

and gain major points........

Old 07-25-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1hottamale View Post
Hey all,
What a great & yummy thread! Here's one you might want to try for breakfast (I love these & the hotter the better!):

"Huevos Rancheros"
(First, choose a favorite chile, like jalapeno, poblano, habanero, etc):

1 tbsp oil
1 chile chopped (remove seeds by cutting top & then rinse)
1/4 spanish onion chopped
1/2 tomato chopped
2 eggs
salt/pepper to taste

Pour oil into a heated fry-pan. Add chopped chile, onion & tomatoes to pan and saute' until onions are translucent, stirring frequently. Add in the eggs & fry for "easy-over" eggs. Add salt & pepper to taste. You can increase or decrease the amounts of chile, onions & tomatoes to taste. Enjoy this with some hot off-the-grill corn tortillas & a glass of Jugo de Mango (juice). Serves 1. Enjoy!
THIS IS THE TRICK!!!!!!!

I tried to match the gals doing amazing breakfast tacos at the nearest joint. They make them so good, better than any other place I've had here. And they were simple.

I messed around trying to match them, until I did what you mention. Fry some chili, onion, and tomato first and then cook the egg in. I've been using garlic........ but Spanish onion may even be better.

You have there the perfect base recipe. The wife and I keep it fresh, lime and cilantro and maybe some basic salsa. But from making that base recipe you can play around with it all you want. Maybe add some great cheese and a bit of good bacon.......

put that on Navaho Indian Fry Bread....

Old 07-26-2016, 10:18 PM

I get why you all love hatch green chilies. They have some that are hot, some not so much, some that are more acidic........ you can play around with them.

I looked it up and it looks like Hatch chili season isn't for a month.....

I have to throw this out there cause I gotta know. Is the Old El Paso brand diced chilies in anyway close to hatch chili flavor? Or is it bogus???

Old 07-27-2016, 07:08 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,767,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattV View Post
I have to throw this out there cause I gotta know. Is the Old El Paso brand diced chilies in anyway close to hatch chili flavor? Or is it bogus???
The Old El Paso brand diced chiles are green chiles... I can't comment on them, have not recently tried them. Green chiles come in thousands of varieties, and even some of the same types go by different names. This can be very confusing if you're looking for a specific type of green chile. Here are some descriptions: Types of Green Chiles

Old 07-27-2016, 10:23 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,819,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattV View Post
I get why you all love hatch green chilies. They have some that are hot, some not so much, some that are more acidic........ you can play around with them.

I looked it up and it looks like Hatch chili season isn't for a month.....

They are ok. Yes, they are green chiles, probably of the Anaheim variety so nothing special. The flavor is good, but not as strong. But I guess that is pretty much with anything that is canned and not freshly roasted. And they are really mild.

Just a side note. When referring to the pepper, it's chile, or chiles such as a green chile, not chili, nor chilies. The meaty stew, chili, with an "i," like Wolf Brand or Hormel, is really chile con carne (chile with meat).

Last edited by PanTerra; 07-27-2016 at 10:33 AM..

Old 07-27-2016, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
They are ok. Yes, they are green chiles, probably of the Anaheim variety so nothing special. The flavor is good, but not as strong. But I guess that is pretty much with anything that is canned and not freshly roasted. And they are really mild.

Just a side note. When referring to the pepper, it's chile, or chiles such as a green chile, not chili, nor chilies. The meaty stew, chili, with an "i," like Wolf Brand or Hormel, is really chile con carne (chile with meat).

Totally my bad on the spelling of chili....chile..... just total laziness on my part.......

So growing up in the Northern East coast there was only one brand of Southern/ South food you could buy. It was the Old El Paso brand.

Most people in that area when I grew up only knew about jalapeno chilies. Most people had them on some nachos straight out of the can. I somehow tried those Old El Paso green chilies in a can one time and I actually thought from there on that there was some kind of magic southern flavor going on with them. Those chilies and their flavor had to be a kind of secret flavor the South was making and using in their recipes. I also knew it was canned and that the fresh ones had to be better, but at the time there was no way to get that minus flying down to the South.

It may be strange to you to hear this coming from wherever you came from. But those jars of Old El Paso green chilies were the closest thing we had growing up that matched anything from NW and the area. Those jars made me want to try more NM style cooking. And when I tried hatch chilies I had found the exact and perfect flavor I had envisioned. Like I said, I get why you people go nutz for hatch green chilies. I think in my previous life I was a Navaho Indian living in the area known as New Mexico....... smiley face....!

Old 07-27-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post

Also..... best forum name I've ever seen........ seriously........

I sometimes play Pantera and much of the time play heavy metal when cooking..........

I always cook with music......... and most of the time with a drink.......... it is heaven to me....

doing the dishes still sucks though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico