Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 11:35 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
The advantage(s) conferred by a move to NM or AZ would most likely be of a psychological nature. If you fancy the wide open desert vistas, the pastel colors of the fascinating geology, the incredible cultural richness and diversity, then the southwest is for you. Your pain will be mitigated by your enjoyment of the aforementioned environments. Ultimately, it's all in your mind anyway how you cope with adversity, be it physical or psychological or spiritual. I love the southwest...always have...even before I spent over thirty years in another wondrous place: Hawai'i. The desert is a place of deep spiritual "mana", as we used to say in the islands. It can be a place of contentment and emotional healing, and it is a creative place as well.
I agree 100% with your post, dracul.

I called it healing for my "soul and spirit" earlier in this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 12:27 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,327 times
Man oh man, everything I post seems to always be "in my mind".

I loved Maine, but I hurt there and it was not my mind that was hurting. Cold and dampness not only hurt my bones, they hurt my asthma also. Its been proven that dryness is much better for those with breathing problems.

Hmmmm, I seem to recall having this same discussion with a idiotic labor room nurse who told me my contractions and pain were all in my mind. I let her know in no uncertain terms exactly WHERE my pain was and that it was not in my mind!!

Old 12-18-2008, 12:44 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,026,689 times
Alison:

I understand you.

The pain I have is REAL too. And it is not relieved too much by living in New Mexico instead of Kansas. I HURT ... and I HURT a lot of the time.

It limits exercise to some extent, it limits my sleep, it limits how good I feel on a daily basis. It even affects my temper (unfortunately) and my attention span, etc. etc. etc.

I would never say anyone's pain is in their mind, because I know better.

My point is that New Mexico helps me cope with the pain; it doesn't relieve it. I wish it did. But the magic of NM is that it gives me peace and helps me to go on even in the face of pain.

I am betting it is just the same for you here.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:11 PM

775 posts, read 2,587,926 times
Default Towanda and Others

All you people have been suffering needlessly Rattlesnake fat with one or two applications will take away the pain for months. el pintada kid

Old 12-18-2008, 01:55 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
Default Sorry Pintada but...

I like snakes but I like them from a distance and I don't want to be close enough to one where I'm forced to kill it and get there fat and the same goes for bears.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:01 PM

717 posts, read 1,954,814 times
PK, we love you but your "cures" are dubious at best. Few have more pain than I. Most people could not live with this continuous, body wide agony as I have been compelled to do. It has been a matter of strengthening my mind and pain tolerance. Biofeedback has helped as well. I also once had severe asthma and LEFT a dry climate (Colorado's) for the WET/HUMID digs of Hawai'i; my asthma soon left me and I eventually forged myself a body that was extremely strong and durable...but not immune to the heavy damages I brought upon it. I pay for them every moment of every day. So even the anecdote about lung problems and climate are suspect. Hawai'i's humidity certainly did no harm to me that I can recall. I eventually weighed in excess of 275 hard pounds and competed as an arm wrestler, bodybuilder and powerlifter. My strength was huge...but I paid a terrible price for my great power. I have a TEMS unit that helps to mitigate the pain somewhat and relaxation/meditation techniques are of some utility. I also enjoy music extensively and am an artist; these pursuits distract attention away from pain a bit. I also swim avidly which lessens the burdens of gravity and permits stretching and exercise. Try some of these remedies if you haven't already...and if they fail...try rattlesnake fat :::

Old 12-18-2008, 02:30 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
Try a good massage too. (I'm talking the LEGITIMATE kind) from a real massage therapist.
A good one is hard to find but if anyone is ever in the Timberon area.......I'm here.
(Wait another month though until I get myself over this injury I have)

Old 12-18-2008, 09:40 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsva View Post
Hi Everyone,
I am new to this Forum.
I have heard that people with arthritis and other pain issues do better in the South West. I was wondering if there are specific areas or if anyone knows anything about this. I had Lyme Disease and have been left with joint pain problems. I am considering relocating possibly to New Mexico if it will make my pain more manageable. My husband and I are planning a trip out there from Cold, Damp Virginia in a month or two. We will be traveling in a camper van and able to explore the state. We would like to find someplace that isn't too too hot in the summer and has mild winters. Any suggestions??
Thanks in advance!
I'm looking forward to exploring your state.
I would think that southern NM would be better for people with arthritis or anything affected by cold damp weather.

Today for example was in the 60's, sunny much of the day, most days are sunny and the bright light is good for people whose moods are affected by dark cold dreary days.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:47 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
The advantage(s) conferred by a move to NM or AZ would most likely be of a psychological nature. If you fancy the wide open desert vistas, the pastel colors of the fascinating geology, the incredible cultural richness and diversity, then the southwest is for you. Your pain will be mitigated by your enjoyment of the aforementioned environments. Ultimately, it's all in your mind anyway how you cope with adversity, be it physical or psychological or spiritual. I love the southwest...always have...even before I spent over thirty years in another wondrous place: Hawai'i. The desert is a place of deep spiritual "mana", as we used to say in the islands. It can be a place of contentment and emotional healing, and it is a creative place as well.
That's a good post. It might be more the psychological part -- but I think lots of bright sunshine helps people feel better. Here we don't have that cabin fever syndrome you see in other places.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:18 PM

717 posts, read 1,954,814 times
Cabin fever I have big time with this encased mitt and the lousy weather here in sub-arctic Denver! Milder Winter's I'm fondly anticipating
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico