Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 03:44 AM

5 posts, read 10,846 times

Advertisements

A question I maybe should have ask with my first post...
Anyone know if there is a problem with Lyme Ticks out there?
Since they travel on deer, maybe I should ask if there are many deer.
Right now I live in the middle of the woods, and I do love it and used to hike these little mountains, but I stay away from the deer haunts these days. Once was enough for me!

Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 07:53 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
We can never recapture lost youth once it has departed; one of life's most difficult and exasperating lessons I'm afraid. Your hay slinging days are almost certainly relegated to the halls of fading memory, just as my bodybuilding, powerlifting and armwrestling exploits are now passe. Alas. Rites of Passage and such. Old age is one of life's most bitter states as it tears from you, step by inexorable step, everything you once were...until one day, you gaze into a mirror, and no longer recognize the hagard travesty that long ago was so vigorous and attractive and seemingly indomitable. Aging requires supreme courage and the guts to keep fighting a battle no one ever wins. A fighting retreat. But I keep an old saw close to my heart: "Go not gently into the night, rage, rage, RAGE against the dying light."

I soldier on, as you must, and take what pleasure(s) still remain. Life's flame is to be lived, however brief the candle flickers.

Thanks Dracul, that's a beautiful post. I'm keeping the quote close to my heart. Fortunately, or unfortuantely I guess, it's not my age holding me back. It's that damned asthma. In almost two years, i've gone from a completely healthy 30 year old, able to go where I wanted, do what I want, to a 32 year old who feels 72. Slow, lil ol' lady steps, struggling to lift a 50 lb sack of feed, having to rest between hay bales, handicapped tag, can't horseback ride any longer, no outings with the family and NO outside activity when the humidity is above 40%, which is most of the time here.

So THAT'S why I crave NM so much, Not just for the beauty, the food, the nice people, the food, the amount of things there are to do, the food- it's for the very life it can, and will give me back.This i've seen and felt for myself in June.

Sorry to get so maudlin, but it's been raining here for two weeks and i've sufficiently scared myself and my family and friends enough so that I spent yesterday in the Dr.'s office, discussing options and getting shot fulla a large dose of Dex to keep me from keeling over before the New Year. Hard to be Christmas-happy when you wonder if you'll make it 'til then safely.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:46 AM

717 posts, read 1,955,193 times
I know how it can be with asthma. Serious bummer. I almost died from it as a kid, had many adrenaline shots to keep my labored heart pumping...we did not have Dex in those days. I was so sickly my doctor once stripped me down and had me pivot before him and my mother. He told her as I was turning my skinny little bod around that I would most likely not live beyond my teens!!! I never forgot those stark and cruel words. They helped to motivate me and propel me to state of super fitness, which I enjoyed pretty much until age 50 or so. I became an athlete in three sports and lost the dreaded asthma at age 12 when we moved to Hawai'i.

Since then I've had several injuries and surgeries, as I've always gone to the wall and often exceeded my limits. You can only bench press 500+ so many times before you fry your shoulders for instance. Nevertheless, I'm still far stronger than almost all men my age and I can smoke most twenty year old's in the gyms where I train. You can achieve lasting health and fitness.

NM may be the catalyst you need to thrive. The climate CHANGE, the stark grandeur of the desert, the cultural diversity and, of course, the inspirational and ubiquitous ART which characterizes NM. It will probably be a cocktail of therapies you will need to employ to restore your health. Be persistent and consistent. Be optimistic; know you can prevail, despite the adversity and obstacles confronting you. You are ultimately the master of your destiny. B well, my friend, and thrive!

Old 12-19-2008, 11:52 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,344,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsva View Post
A question I maybe should have ask with my first post...
Anyone know if there is a problem with Lyme Ticks out there?
Since they travel on deer, maybe I should ask if there are many deer.
Right now I live in the middle of the woods, and I do love it and used to hike these little mountains, but I stay away from the deer haunts these days. Once was enough for me!

Thanks again
In my neck of the woods, I haven't seen any ticks or fleas and I have 2 dogs.

Old 12-19-2008, 01:20 PM

775 posts, read 2,588,356 times
Default Ticks and Fleas in N.M.

I would think that most of N.M. is too cold and windy and free of lots of Ticks and Fleas but you always check your dogs ears at least a couple of times a month just in case. Inside dogs that spend 5 minutes outside a day check them at least once a day. Not just for fleas but for mites or small spiders that are almost invisible. My Jack Russell loves to run through weeds and all over my big yard in the summer sometimes ill pull some BIG fleas out of his ears yuk i hate that. Record is about 4 at a time and they leave a mark when you pull them off. As for deer in the Mountains they run Wild and most of them are very Clean as far as i know since i havent hunted in over 20 years. Maybe the Flea or Tick could mostly be in the Mountains of Southern N.M. where its much warmer then Central and the Northern Mountains of New Mexico. el pintada kid

Old 12-19-2008, 03:18 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
Getting old ain't for sissies but it sure beats the alternative.

Old 12-20-2008, 05:26 AM

1,753 posts, read 4,250,936 times
I agree, Alison, I agree.

Thanks for sharing, Dracul. It's personal accounts like yours and Alison's that give me hope. The dream (and memory) of how I was in NM- passing by my 16 year old whilst walking the sidewalks in Ruidoso, being able to sit on the dunes with Chilegal and talk in a normal manner (ridin' in her jeep with the windows down!- MAN, I had forgotten how good that feels!), takin' the kids to the zoo and being able to keep up with them- it's what life is about.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:18 AM

429 posts, read 1,477,651 times
RRR - My Mom had a terrible time breathing in Texas (Fort Worth area) due mostly to smog and pollution we think and while she still suffers with arthritis she says she can breathe so much better now (in Eastern NM)- the docs were trying to get her to be on oxygen 24/7 in TX but now she only uses it at night for her sleep apnea. She is much happier & I'm sure you will be too. Hope you get here soon!!! When's your arrival date??

Old 12-20-2008, 10:34 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
PK, we love you but your "cures" are dubious at best. Few have more pain than I. Most people could not live with this continuous, body wide agony as I have been compelled to do. It has been a matter of strengthening my mind and pain tolerance. Biofeedback has helped as well. I also once had severe asthma and LEFT a dry climate (Colorado's) for the WET/HUMID digs of Hawai'i; my asthma soon left me and I eventually forged myself a body that was extremely strong and durable...but not immune to the heavy damages I brought upon it. I pay for them every moment of every day. So even the anecdote about lung problems and climate are suspect. Hawai'i's humidity certainly did no harm to me that I can recall. I eventually weighed in excess of 275 hard pounds and competed as an arm wrestler, bodybuilder and powerlifter. My strength was huge...but I paid a terrible price for my great power. I have a TEMS unit that helps to mitigate the pain somewhat and relaxation/meditation techniques are of some utility. I also enjoy music extensively and am an artist; these pursuits distract attention away from pain a bit. I also swim avidly which lessens the burdens of gravity and permits stretching and exercise. Try some of these remedies if you haven't already...and if they fail...try rattlesnake fat :::
But how would you know unless you tried it? I think cures and treatments found in nature might be effective.

I don't have any pain but for allergy symptoms I use local bee honey and it works.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:36 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
It's like cod-liver oil that people still sometimes talk about, how their moms gave it too them for everything -- but there probably IS something in it that's good for you.

Now they're telling parents not to use the over-the-counter chemicals sold as cough remedies because they're quite dangerous. Maybe it's time to go back to cod-liver-oil and things like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico