Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 07:21 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,503,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Being able to go from a cold alpine environment to a warm desert climate (skiing to sunbathing) in a short distance. The progressive/hippie atmosphere of Sedona is a bonus.
Nothing as dramatic and long a drive from flagstaff to phoenix here in new mexico but i can offer several awesome drives.

The first is in northern NM i.e.the enchanted circle as it encircles the highest mountain range in NM as that is Mt. Wheeler at over 13,000 ft as you start at Taos and head north to Questa by the Colorado border then over to Red River (looks like a Swiss ALP town) then over to Eagles Nest and then over to Angel Fire as all these towns are really buautiful and neat to visit. I need one of the northerners to chime in but i think the entire drive is about 2 hours??

The other drive is in southern NM the best drive is on U.S. 180 from Silver City to Reserve about 90 miles but takes 2 hours at least as you swing close to the Arizona border going up and down the huge 9,000 to 10,000 ft peaks of the Mogollon Mts and see some of the most awesome views for as far as the eye can see.

As for a Sedona feel i always thought the Ghost Ranch of Georgia O'Keefe north of Espanola has that feel but others can weigh in and tell what they know.

Hope that helped some?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 07:53 PM

713 posts, read 1,839,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post
Nothing as dramatic and long a drive from flagstaff to phoenix here in new mexico but i can offer several awesome drives.

The first is in northern NM i.e.the enchanted circle as it encircles the highest mountain range in NM as that is Mt. Wheeler at over 13,000 ft as you start at Taos and head north to Questa by the Colorado border then over to Red River (looks like a Swiss ALP town) then over to Eagles Nest and then over to Angel Fire as all these towns are really buautiful and neat to visit. I need one of the northerners to chime in but i think the entire drive is about 2 hours??

The other drive is in southern NM the best drive is on U.S. 180 from Silver City to Reserve about 90 miles but takes 2 hours at least as you swing close to the Arizona border going up and down the huge 9,000 to 10,000 ft peaks of the Mogollon Mts and see some of the most awesome views for as far as the eye can see.

As for a Sedona feel i always thought the Ghost Ranch of Georgia O'Keefe north of Espanola has that feel but others can weigh in and tell what they know.

Hope that helped some?
The Turquoise Trail drive from SF to ABQ on Hwy 14 through Cerrillos, Madrid, Cedar Crest, etc. Beautiful drive.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:11 PM

9,331 posts, read 20,668,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6 FOOT 3 View Post

Hope that helped some?
I also would like to chime in on the Rt 82 drive from Alamo to Cloudcroft in 30 minutes. Completely a different biosphere in an even shorter drive. The drive on 152 from Hillsboro/Kingston up to San Lorenzo is another example of the fauna/climate changing in a relatively short period of time.

Old 02-15-2009, 09:18 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,310,913 times
LSD ain't too bad either.
Lake Shore Drive by Aliotta-Haynes-Jeremiah Songfacts

Old 02-16-2009, 12:10 PM

717 posts, read 1,949,397 times
Funny man mutz Just got back via 54 and 219 and I-25 and Franktown/Parker. Loved Corrizozo and "Big Al" at the Antique shop. Love the old Hacienda Doors! TorC was a blast with the Art Night, belly dancers and fire dancers!!! Not too pleased with Jungle Gym; owner is an insecure egotist way too proud of her Master's in PT Lousy business hours and HIGH membership rates to boot. Place is begging for a better gym! Loved the lava fields around Corrizozo, which reminded us of Hawai'i so very much! My dog was a hit everywhere as he is one spectacular pooch! Beowulf already has a fan club Dragged my wounded ass all over Southern NM once again! Back again in Late March or April. Later.

Old 02-16-2009, 07:49 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,222,520 times
Thanks for all those scenic tour ideas. Can't wait to get my RV and have a look see.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:40 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,530,043 times
I have driven the silver City to Socorro via Rt 180, Rt 12 and Rt 60 with a side trip up to Mogollon on Rt 159. We drove from alpine lushness of Glenwood to anvil of the sun of the Plains of St. Augustine in one day. Should have stared over in Mogollon or Reserve but did not schedule the time.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I also would like to chime in on the Rt 82 drive from Alamo to Cloudcroft in 30 minutes. Completely a different biosphere in an even shorter drive. The drive on 152 from Hillsboro/Kingston up to San Lorenzo is another example of the fauna/climate changing in a relatively short period of time.
Yeap can't disagree with you there Mike and also the Tularosa to Ruidoso to Capitan is really nice also.

Old 02-17-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dracul View Post
Funny man mutz Just got back via 54 and 219 and I-25 and Franktown/Parker. Loved Corrizozo and "Big Al" at the Antique shop. Love the old Hacienda Doors! TorC was a blast with the Art Night, belly dancers and fire dancers!!! Not too pleased with Jungle Gym; owner is an insecure egotist way too proud of her Master's in PT Lousy business hours and HIGH membership rates to boot. Place is begging for a better gym! Loved the lava fields around Corrizozo, which reminded us of Hawai'i so very much! My dog was a hit everywhere as he is one spectacular pooch! Beowulf already has a fan club Dragged my wounded ass all over Southern NM once again! Back again in Late March or April. Later.
Did you get to see the famous ghost town of White Oaks at all Drac .

Old 02-17-2009, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I have driven the silver City to Socorro via Rt 180, Rt 12 and Rt 60 with a side trip up to Mogollon on Rt 159. We drove from alpine lushness of Glenwood to anvil of the sun of the Plains of St. Augustine in one day. Should have stared over in Mogollon or Reserve but did not schedule the time.
Next time your up that way greg cross over to Alpine just across the state line as it's really nice with pine trees so thick for 100's of miles. Some neat old motels and campgrounds all in that area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico