Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 01:23 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times

Advertisements

ajzjmsmom claimed:

> ... seems to be common ... someone comes on this forum
> posting questions that the regulars on here deem stupid
> or made by trolls, it still doesn't excuse bad manners.

I came on the thread late or would have made a similar 'edgy' remark.

As I read through this, I was amazed that the answers given could cause any offense.

Yet; the OP kept getting more and more irritated.

It's like The Far Side (cartoon). Some people just don't "get" it.
That cartoon I found to be regularly brilliant and hilarious, others just didn't ...
My dad kept asking me to explain it to him, but .... how?
My mom liked it almost every time.

You have to like the sort of humor such as:
-----------------------------------------
Spouse1: "Did you take out the garbage?"
Spouse2: "Yes, I threw it out the door and all over the yard!"
Spouse1: "That's nice. Thank you!"
-----------------------------------
For some, the above conversation is a mystery and makes no sense.

For most of the posters on this board it made perfect sense.

I think a great example of someone who impressed me with the ability to deal with the sarcasm was truckzter in her 'moving to grad school' threads. We were especially obnoxious and she gave as well as she got.

Last edited by mortimer; 05-13-2009 at 02:02 PM..

Old 05-13-2009, 01:40 PM

1,732 posts, read 4,450,786 times
Well, who had to clean up the garbage?

Old 05-13-2009, 01:44 PM

5,548 posts, read 16,083,410 times
Bad dog! ... er, cat! No!

Old 05-13-2009, 01:44 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,364,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karmathecat View Post
Well, who had to clean up the garbage?
Not me.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:47 PM

110 posts, read 366,143 times
My goodness. Where are you now? You've just described all the tourist trap stuff, so evidently you know little about the reality of this state.

If you're coming here, I'm sure most of us would appreciate it, if you at least like people.
judy

Old 05-13-2009, 04:41 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortimer View Post
ajzjmsmom claimed:

> ... seems to be common ... someone comes on this forum
> posting questions that the regulars on here deem stupid
> or made by trolls, it still doesn't excuse bad manners.

I came on the thread late or would have made a similar 'edgy' remark.

As I read through this, I was amazed that the answers given could cause any offense.

Yet; the OP kept getting more and more irritated.

It's like The Far Side (cartoon). Some people just don't "get" it.
That cartoon I found to be regularly brilliant and hilarious, others just didn't ...
My dad kept asking me to explain it to him, but .... how?
My mom liked it almost every time.

You have to like the sort of humor such as:
-----------------------------------------
Quote:
Spouse1: "Did you take out the garbage?"
Spouse2: "Yes, I threw it out the door and all over the yard!"
Spouse1: "That's nice. Thank you!"
These people must reside in T or C, that's where all the trash comes from that's blowing everywhere in town! Then the coyotes come into town at night and shred the bags open. Dumb spouses!

-----------------------------------
Quote:
For some, the above conversation is a mystery and makes no sense.

For most of the posters on this board it made perfect sense.

I think a great example of someone who impressed me with the ability to deal with the sarcasm was truckzter in her 'moving to grad school' threads. We were especially obnoxious and she gave as well as she got.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:28 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
You guys take this whole 'internet thing' way too seriously in my opinion...while at the same time, completely failing to answer a serious question and turning the whole thing into a freak show and borderline argument.

There's an extremely fine line between 'scarcasm' ...and just being rude to the new guy.

Carry on, I'm not really hurt or whatever.
Thanks for your interesting post. I don't know what to make of it.

Scarcasm [sic], LOL.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino View Post
I don't think anyone was being mean-spirited on their reply to the OP. The question posed by the OP had an "edge" to it, and people responded in kind. The question begs to not be taken seriously . . . as if you will be ostracized if your dog is not dyed turquoise and wrapped in a red bandana.
I don't see any mean spirits here.

On another note, I mentioned earlier in the topic that I had a Kokopelli belt buckle, bracelet and ring. I lied (accidentally). The Kokopelli ring turned out to be a bear paw ring (turquoise and coral) and a geometric ring (turquoise and coral), alternating green and orange triangles. However I discovered that I have two Kokopelli bracelets, so technically I didn't lie!

Old 05-13-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameBen View Post
I *think* that green chile is technically a sauce. Salsas, by definition, have chunks of tomatoes and onions in them (sometimes fruit too, I know, weird) and the term 'relish' doesn't seem to fit as it's not really sweet.
Ben, while salsa often contains tomatoes and onions, that is not a "definition." Please see this Wikipedia article on salsa.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Valley Gal View Post
Here's my theory: People in other parts of the country save up all year long to go somewhere beautiful for a couple of weeks, and they come back rested and renewed. Some of that is just being away, but I think a lot of it is being someplace beautiful - you don't save up to spend two weeks in Newark, New Jersey, now do you??? Well, here in New Mexico we live, 365 days a year, in the place people come to in order to renew their spirits. I think this has a palpable, nearly measurable effect on the spirits of the locals. No matter how wired and stressed and freaked out you get in the course of your working day, when you get into your car and head home, and look out over the astonishing beauty of this place, it all drains right out of you, and by the time you get home, the world looks good again.

I love New Mexico - passionately. I can't get enough of it. The desert drives me insane, the openness, the HUGENESS of the sky, the weather (oh GOD the weather - it's bliss), the way the world wraps around you here, unimpeded by cities and cars - the huge open spaces of the place. It's weird, at first, and takes some getting used to, and frankly I think it's not for everyone (it had better NOT be for everyone, we don't have enough water for that), but if you love it here, it will take hold of your heart and you'll never be happy living anywhere else, ever again.
Wow! You put my feelings down perfectly! I'm giving serious thought to retiring in New Mexico (my career is already toasted). I've visited NM several times, camping, and I loved it! The desert drives me insane too. I first felt it in California's Death Valley. I've felt it all over AZ, NM, and many parts of UT. I just love that there aren't so many plants that they get in the way of the horizon. I love that practically every place I can see dozens or a hundred miles. I love that when the sun goes down I can be completely alone in solitude.

I didn't need any time to get used to it. The desert has always felt like home to me. It's the city that I have problems getting used to, the place I've lived my whole life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico