Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 11:09 PM

74 posts, read 209,482 times

Advertisements

Ah yes Casel land (yes, spelled that way). That was way too much money to spend on a round of mini-golf. The kids had fun though. We also tried to go roller skating but my 5 yr old falls when not wearing skates so that didn't go over real well. He's part of a bowling league on base but we're contractors and reservists and we'll be losing base privileges when our reserve time is up come May.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 11:27 PM

312 posts, read 1,018,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
Ah yes Casel land (yes, spelled that way). That was way too much money to spend on a round of mini-golf. The kids had fun though. We also tried to go roller skating but my 5 yr old falls when not wearing skates so that didn't go over real well. He's part of a bowling league on base but we're contractors and reservists and we'll be losing base privileges when our reserve time is up come May.

Thats right! I knew I was spelling it wrong when I typed it out,

Its fun, but not $$$ that much fun.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:39 PM

4,552 posts, read 15,043,649 times
Quote:
Oh and yeah I'd be embarrassed to be around anyone who used that term. I would also assume they were racist and not hang around them anymore.

Just because everyone growing up used to use a term doesn't mean it's still appropriate. My grandparents all used the "N" word, that doesn't mean it should still be around.

Im pretty sure that the teens and the early aged adults still call it "Taco Town" since that has been the name of that part of town for decades now, I dont think that has changed all of a sudden.

You also mentioned you wished Clovis could be a little more like back home. What fun would that be if all towns and cities were alike, thats what makes places unique. If all towns were alike then there would be no need for traveling to see other states for vacations. You are the type of transplant that I see poeple complaining about on these forums, you automatically want to change a town instead of learning to adapt yourself to that town.

and to Shelsi- I heard that Clovis was getting a Olive Garden almost 3 years ago so I dont know when it is gonna happen, but I imagine with all the newbies there will be alot more options in town.

Im not saying that adding new restaurants is bad or shopping cause when I lived there I wanted that too, its just the whole point of trying to change a town to make it more comparable to the one your from and not accepting the people of the town and their ways.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:54 PM

74 posts, read 209,482 times
I don't think I'll ever be accepting of a place that has no Target. I HATE that I am pretty much forced to shop at Walmart. The thing is, I've lived in towns smaller in population than here and yet they had a nice mall, they had a Target and a Kohls, they had a Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond, and all those sorts of stores most take for granted. So yes, I was shocked by Clovis when I arrived and found none of it.

And is there really no ice cream place here? Not DQ but somewhere I can go and get an actual scoop of ice cream? And this place is a "family" community with no ice cream???

I've lived in many many places being that I used to be in the military. I enjoyed pretty much every single place I was in and the few I didn't like I could still find a silver lining to. I have to admit I'm having a hard time with Clovis. My husband is a contractor and was brand new with 10 other brand new people. 7 have quit, 2 are looking for other employment, and 1 just today decided to quit and gave his notice. I've never lived in a town that was so closed minded. They are nice, I'll give them that, but wow are they closed minded. So far the only thing I love about Clovis is how cheap the housing is. The fact that we could get a brand new construction home under $200k is pretty nice.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:10 AM

Quote:
I don't think I'll ever be accepting of a place that has no Target. I HATE that I am pretty much forced to shop at Walmart. The thing is, I've lived in towns smaller in population than here and yet they had a nice mall, they had a Target and a Kohls, they had a Best Buy, Bed Bath & Beyond, and all those sorts of stores most take for granted. So yes, I was shocked by Clovis when I arrived and found none of it.

And is there really no ice cream place here? Not DQ but somewhere I can go and get an actual scoop of ice cream? And this place is a "family" community with no ice cream???

I've lived in many many places being that I used to be in the military. I enjoyed pretty much every single place I was in and the few I didn't like I could still find a silver lining to. I have to admit I'm having a hard time with Clovis. My husband is a contractor and was brand new with 10 other brand new people. 7 have quit, 2 are looking for other employment, and 1 just today decided to quit and gave his notice. I've never lived in a town that was so closed minded. They are nice, I'll give them that, but wow are they closed minded. So far the only thing I love about Clovis is how cheap the housing is. The fact that we could get a brand new construction home under $200k is pretty nice.

a town being close minded is something that you have to adapt to, you are in another part of the country and in a new town, would you like people going into your town complaing that the people are too progressive, I doubt you would, so you should be accepting and tolerant to the ways and people around you, sometimes you just got to suck it up if you dont like it.

and not being accepting of a place because it has no Target is very close minded, I like Target better than Wal-Mart too but Im not gonna complain about it if I were to move to some small town that didnt have it, you got yourself into a situation dealing with the Military so you have to accept the obstacles in your way now. You dont have to like Clovis, most people dont, I dont even care for it all that much but dont knock the poeple and the town but rather just put up with it and make the most of it. Sometimes its some of the most progressive people who are the most close minded and yours and Fickles post proves that.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:05 AM

312 posts, read 1,018,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
a town being close minded is something that you have to adapt to, you are in another part of the country and in a new town, would you like people going into your town complaing that the people are too progressive, I doubt you would, so you should be accepting and tolerant to the ways and people around you, sometimes you just got to suck it up if you dont like it.

and not being accepting of a place because it has no Target is very close minded, I like Target better than Wal-Mart too but Im not gonna complain about it if I were to move to some small town that didnt have it, you got yourself into a situation dealing with the Military so you have to accept the obstacles in your way now. You dont have to like Clovis, most people dont, I dont even care for it all that much but dont knock the poeple and the town but rather just put up with it and make the most of it. Sometimes its some of the most progressive people who are the most close minded and yours and Fickles post proves that.

So wanting more diverse things is considered close minded? You are making zero sense.

--"I dont even care for it all that much but dont knock the poeple and the town but rather just put up with it and make the most of it." desert sun--

I do not remember ever "knocking the people". We are stuck here and have to make the best of it or move back home and break up our families. We are making the best of it. We are just wishing there were certain other things available here... and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

I personally think its funny that you do not "care" for the town yet you defend it and seem to get upset when anyone wishes or comments about wanting it to be different. Why wouldnt you want it to be different if you personally do not care for the town.

Once again you make zero sense.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:47 AM

141 posts, read 381,231 times
I wouldn't mine a Target or any other things mentioned on here but you can't just not accept a place because there isn't one in town. Farmington has a Target with almost 10,000 more residents than Clovis and some are saying its not doing to good. I understand where your coming from, i seriously do, but if you ain't gonna do anything about please don't complain about it. Please. Its the way this city is. Have you noticed other cities around our size in NM don't have everything either. Its just our way of doing things. I do want a Target, SAM's, Olive Garden, and a Best Buy but Im not gonna sit here and not accept it. We should start a thread on what Clovis's needs cus this thread is getting off topic.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:26 AM

9,381 posts, read 20,847,248 times
I would like to weigh in on this thread. My son was thought to be allergic to gluten, with celiac disease, when we moved to Las Cruces 4 years ago. We had one store that had a very limited selection of groceries for this diet. Now, 4 and a half years later, the one store has increased its selections, and there is another store with a full supply. Even the chain grocery stores such as Albertson's have some selection. I think what this means is that specialized food, or specialized anything will be more prevalent in cities with greater population, this seems to be elementary. Las Cruces has grown to almost 90k population. I am sure El Paso has a greater selection, and that Albuquerque is even greater. Albuquerque, though, is slightly smaller than El Paso, but would likely have a greater selection. And I think therein lies the second element: the makeup of the population. As Desert Sun observed, if you have more transplants, you are likely to see a greater possibility of the transforming the market and economy, from what was a more local flavor, to something a little more broad-based. Both elements are at play: population, but also the type of people populating the area. And I think that's what happened in Las Cruces in a relatively short period of time. Selections have improved vastly since we moved here. Now, is it on the level of where I came from, New Jersey? Not even close. But when most people move to New Mexico from a place like New York, Dallas, Chicago, etc, they shouldn't expect what they are leaving behind. All of these places have more people in the metro area than the entire state of New Mexico combined. It comes back to economies of scale. If a business thinks it can profit off the sale of a particular product, it will find its way to the shelves. I think that in Clovis, it's just simply lack of a) total population and b) demographic that limits the sale of these gluten free foods. And for that, I really feel bad for the OP, because when we first moved to Las Cruces we were in a really tough spot.

Last edited by mike0421; 10-29-2009 at 10:50 AM..

Old 10-29-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fickle View Post
So wanting more diverse things is considered close minded? You are making zero sense.

--"I dont even care for it all that much but dont knock the poeple and the town but rather just put up with it and make the most of it." desert sun--

I do not remember ever "knocking the people". We are stuck here and have to make the best of it or move back home and break up our families. We are making the best of it. We are just wishing there were certain other things available here... and there is NOTHING wrong with that.

I personally think its funny that you do not "care" for the town yet you defend it and seem to get upset when anyone wishes or comments about wanting it to be different. Why wouldnt you want it to be different if you personally do not care for the town.

Once again you make zero sense.

Shelsi's post was close minded

Fickle- there is nothing wrong with wanting new stores to shop at but the rest of your posts are just outrageous and talking a bunch of non-sense. Yes, I dont care for the town, its not that bad eithert, but I still dont think new people should come in and try to change the town right away, ACCEPT what you got and if the town wants to change, it will. This goes for anytown in the USA.

look at Santa Fe, new people came in and tottaly changed the city, its tacky and dosent even feel like New Mexico when you look at the type of people there, they outpriced the locals.

I wish there were other things available here in ABQ too but thats life and I live here, if I dont like it I can always move sometime in the future. I dont always like the way the city does things here and I let it be known but if you dont plan on being a permanent resident of Clovis then you shouldnt care.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I would like to weigh in on this thread. My son was thought to be allergic to gluten, with celiac disease, when we moved to Las Cruces 4 years ago. We had one store that had a very limited selection of groceries for this diet. Now, 4 and a half years later, the one store has increased its selections, and there is another store with a full supply. Even the chain grocery stores such as Albertson's have some selection. I think what this means is that specialized food, or specialized anything will be more prevalent in cities with greater population, this seems to be elementary. Las Cruces has grown to almost 90k population. I am sure El Paso has a greater selection, and that Albuquerque is even greater. Albuquerque, though, is slightly smaller than El Paso, but would likely have a greater selection. And I think therein lies the second element: the makeup of the population. As Desert Sun observed, if you have more transplants, you are likely to see a greater possibility of the transforming the market and economy, from what was a more local flavor, to something a little more broad-based. Both elements are at play: population, but also the type of people populating the area. And I think that's what happened in Las Cruces in a relatively short period of time. Selections have improved vastly since we moved here. Now, is it on the level of where I came from, New Jersey? Not even close. But when most people move to New Mexico from a place like New York, Dallas, Chicago, etc, they shouldn't expect what they are leaving behind. All of these places have more people in the metro area than the entire state of New Mexico combined. It comes back to economies of scale. If a business thinks it can profit off the sale of a particular product, it will find its way to the shelves. I think that in Clovis, it's just simply lack of a) total population and b) demographic that limits the sale of these gluten free foods. And for that, I really feel bad for the OP, because when we first moved to Las Cruces we were in a really tough spot.

yes, population has alot to do with this, and product demand, the transplants bring in new ideas and foods and want what they cant get anymore, I said East Coasters cause I deal with many of them, no offense, you seem like a nice guy,and of course not all EC's are like this,but there are those east coasters who complain and get frustrated when they dont or cant get what they want.

I just dont understand, when I move out of New Mexico, I am not gonna complain about the lack of shopping or eateries in my new town or city or close minded people ,I feel that if you move into someone else's area then you should adapt to that place, not the place adapt to you.

great post btw and I appreciate you being open minded and hopefully you didnt take my posts the wrong way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico