Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans
 [Register]
New Orleans New Orleans - Metairie - Kenner metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 10:10 PM

85 posts, read 319,084 times

Advertisements

Okay, I'm planning a trip to New Orleans this coming summer. Let me just start out by saying that I've always wanted to visit what seems like such an incredibly unique and wonderful city ever since I was a child! Always reading up on the city's history and whatnot.
All that being said, now I already know it's a city where one definitely needs to keep their wits about them, but as I've been planning my itinerary for the trip, I've come across an overabundance of reviews and guides about various locations outside of the French Quarter which make the whole entire city sound like it's a warzone.
Don't get me wrong, it's not like I plan on wandering around the Iberville projects or the lower ninth ward, but seeing some of Treme, the Garden District, Frenchmen St., Magazine St. and Mid-City would be nice. Seeing that there's attractions, dining, nightlife, shopping and historical sites in these parts as well, something about me isn't entirely buying that every person that, as some of the reviews I read put it, "dares" to venture into these neighborhoods ends up getting shot or mugged.

Then again, these are reviews and travel guides written by visitors that I've been reading, AKA people who don't live there, so who better to get a more realistic perspective from than locals?

So New Orleans CD, how much caution does a visitor really need to exercise in order to stay safe in areas that are a little more off the beaten path so to speak? (In particular, the areas listed above)

Thanks in advance everyone!

Old 04-13-2013, 12:03 AM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
Default Just got back from visiting NOLA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by morcellement View Post
Okay, I'm planning a trip to New Orleans this coming summer. Let me just start out by saying that I've always wanted to visit what seems like such an incredibly unique and wonderful city ever since I was a child! Always reading up on the city's history and whatnot.
All that being said, now I already know it's a city where one definitely needs to keep their wits about them, but as I've been planning my itinerary for the trip, I've come across an overabundance of reviews and guides about various locations outside of the French Quarter which make the whole entire city sound like it's a warzone.
Don't get me wrong, it's not like I plan on wandering around the Iberville projects or the lower ninth ward, but seeing some of Treme, the Garden District, Frenchmen St., Magazine St. and Mid-City would be nice. Seeing that there's attractions, dining, nightlife, shopping and historical sites in these parts as well, something about me isn't entirely buying that every person that, as some of the reviews I read put it, "dares" to venture into these neighborhoods ends up getting shot or mugged.

Then again, these are reviews and travel guides written by visitors that I've been reading, AKA people who don't live there, so who better to get a more realistic perspective from than locals?

So New Orleans CD, how much caution does a visitor really need to exercise in order to stay safe in areas that are a little more off the beaten path so to speak? (In particular, the areas listed above)

Thanks in advance everyone!
Hi, we just got back from visiting New Orleans for the first time, and had a blast!
We're from Southern California and live in a very safe suburban "bubble". I had concerns as well from stuff I'd read etc. but we had no problems and felt pretty comfortable over all in the French Quarter. We stayed at the Hotel Villa Convento where it was close enough to the action, yet away from "too crazy". We walked everywhere and at first we thought we'd be taking a cab back in the late evening after a night on the town, but we ended up walking back to the hotel at night and it was fine, we just kept our eyes open. From our hotel, it was also an easy walk to Frenchman street. A few folks looking for a hand out, but there was always some people walking around.
We took the streetcar to the Garden District area and rented bikes to go through the neighborhoods during the day, and the only hazard there were the cars. It is NOT a bike friendly town and if you're from some city like Sacramento or a college town where folks pretty much ride with abandon through stop signs etc. (never a good idea anyway) you might be in for a rude awakening.
The place where we ventured out was cajun country for a couple of days on the weekend, then we came back to New Orleans and stayed at a really nice B&B called Ashton's for our last night before flying home. The B&B is a very beautiful historic home in a not so pretty neighborhood. It's on Esplanade Ave and only about 10 blocks to the FQ and most of the guests took a cab. The owner says he feels fine walking around there, but a taxi driver said he doesn't suggest walking at night in that particular neighborhood.

Just one little note... the time will go by so fast while you're there! It's so much fun! We ate and "listened" our way through the French Quarter and only scratched the surface! We had about 4 days total in the city, not including our excursion out to Breaux Bridge (which we LOVED!!) and we can't wait to go back! When we do we'll probably stay longer and venture out a little more ourselves... would like to visit City Park, the WWII museum maybe Algiers Point etc.

Have fun!

Old 04-13-2013, 06:14 AM

497 posts, read 969,099 times
You're located in Las Vegas and you're really (seems overly) concerned about your safety in New Orleans? Surely, you've learned about how to look out for your safety in Vegas.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:32 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
All of those areas are fine in the day time and whenever others are around with you. Use normal caution, don't let your purse dangle from your hand, etc. and if it "feels" sketchy, it probably is.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:44 AM

2,311 posts, read 4,947,874 times
Magazine St. is full of antique shops and local restaurants. Not a place to be worrying about safety.

The Garden District- you'll be lucky to find a house for sale there at less than 750k or a million. Again, a very safe neighborhood.

Frenchmen St. is the pride of the New Orleans entertainment scene- it never even occurred to me to be on the look out when I used to frequent the area.

Treme and Mid-City are more mixed. There are parts of both that you will need to be careful in. But a quick look down a street before you walk should be sufficient. If it's full of abandoned houses and grown men drinking beer at noon, stay away.

Shouldn't have to worry in "Fortress French Quarter"- that's the city's moneymaker, and it's heavily patrolled.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:55 AM

3,889 posts, read 4,543,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neworleansisprettygood View Post
Magazine St. is full of antique shops and local restaurants. Not a place to be worrying about safety.

The Garden District- you'll be lucky to find a house for sale there at less than 750k or a million. Again, a very safe neighborhood.

Frenchmen St. is the pride of the New Orleans entertainment scene- it never even occurred to me to be on the look out when I used to frequent the area.

Treme and Mid-City are more mixed. There are parts of both that you will need to be careful in. But a quick look down a street before you walk should be sufficient. If it's full of abandoned houses and grown men drinking beer at noon, stay away.

Shouldn't have to worry in "Fortress French Quarter"- that's the city's moneymaker, and it's heavily patrolled.
Ha ha... that's a good one. There are folks of every stripe and age spending money in the FQ! Even the stuff I was reading about Bourbon Street was overblown. Yeah, there's a lot of people getting drunk there, and the later it gets the more obnoxious it gets. The biggest danger there was stepping in road apples from horses the police were riding on. Okay, and maybe some vomit after midnight.

But just like anywhere, if there are crowds, there can be pick pocket artists. Beware of someone "bumping" into you, don't keep your wallet in your back pocket, keep your eye on your purse, and keep some dollar bills handy in another pocket to put in the street musician's jars. That way your not fussing with your wallet constantly while walking down Royal Street!

Old 04-13-2013, 12:12 PM

62 posts, read 277,779 times
New Orleans has a homicide problem that is largely confined to the poorer African-American communities. Sad but true. Otherwise, crime is on par with other cities of comparable size. When you're not familiar with a place, always wise to keep a heightened sense of awareness, but you don't need to be in constant fear of getting mugged or something. Could it and does it happen? Yes, but it can and does anywhere. I lived in New Orleans for 3 months last summer, I walked everywhere at all times of day and night (except for the neighborhoods you shouldn't—and probably never would—be alone in) and never had any kind of issue. None of my friends living there have ever been a victim of violent crime. Basically, I'd advise you to stay out of Central City and the St. Claude/St. Roch area. Aside from that, enjoy!

Go to Parkway in Mid-City or Parasol's in the Irish Channel for a po-boy; see Kermit Ruffins wherever he's playing (especially Vaughan's if you're there on a Thursday); get brunch at Stanley in the Quarter and/or Dante's Kitchen in Riverbend; get dinner at Jacques-Imo's in the Riverbend (prepare for a wait—just put your name down, get drinks and hang out outside on the sidewalk), then go see music next door at Maple Leaf; music anywhere on Frenchman Street; and be sure to check out City Park—quite possibly the most gorgeous city park in the country. Indeed, there is much to do outside the Quarter!

Old 04-13-2013, 04:53 PM

85 posts, read 319,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrynvirginia View Post
You're located in Las Vegas and you're really (seems overly) concerned about your safety in New Orleans? Surely, you've learned about how to look out for your safety in Vegas.
Oh I'm certainly not terrified at all, I just know that it's one of the more dangerous cities in the country but from everything I've seen it seems that a lot of it is over exaggerated, so I was merely seeking a more realistic perspective on the manner.

That being said, thanks for putting it all into perspective everyone! I can't wait until my trip.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:25 PM

45 posts, read 161,228 times
It is over exaggerated - I have visit here for 20+ years, and have lived in the Marigny, now in the Bywater since 2008. I walk or ride my bike everywhere. Have never had even one problem. Come down, enjoy yourself - it is a Wonderful World!

Old 04-14-2013, 03:51 PM

1,285 posts, read 3,608,496 times
Well, sorry to say I have a very negative view of crime in New Orleans. I personally was held up in the Riverbend area as I was getting off the streetcar to go home in the evening. The people next door had a home invasion and a woman was raped. Another woman was raped in the same block. College students are regularly robbed and beate, cars hijacked. I heard a story from a brother of a slain woman that was shot and killed on State street near Magazine with two young children in the back seat. The Garden District has so much crime it has it's own police force. Crime is not black on black like so many want you to believe. Ever wonder why there are so many new iron fences around houses along Carrollton and St. Charles Ave. Please. Be honest. I know crime is bad for tourism but lying about it is not the answer. Fix the problem.Taking away guns from honest citizens will make it easier for the animals to hunt around the water hole.
Oh, yes. I left the city after 68 years because of violence, drugs, rising taxes and fees and reduced city services, tax more- get less. But City Park is beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana > New Orleans