Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2015, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,916 times

Advertisements

Contacted 02/15 and was told that my application had been selected for further review. After sending financial documents demonstrating our income I was told that we were within the required income limits and signed a lease + gave deposit 03/15 for a 06/15/15 move in date. I was later notified that our unite would not be ready by 06/15/15 and that we could move in on 08/03/15. Signed a second lease and was told after asking for compensation for a changed move in date it was agreed that I would be getting a ~800 rent credit. I was asked to submit my last 4 pay stubs on 06/29 and on 07/08/15 scheduled my move time with the buildings moving coordinator, later that day I was contacted by a leasing representative telling me that we make to much and are not eligible to move in.

My question here is if anyone else has experienced a similar situation. We were scheduled to move in on 08/03 and after going to see our unit today 07/11/15 were told that we could not move in due to our income. It sounds like they botched our application in the first place and should have never given us a lease to sign.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:02 PM

357 posts, read 657,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieNYC View Post
I am referring to home inspecting of your current living conditions BEFORE your application is approved for Hunters Point South. I know this is done on other housing lottery apartments and wondering if this is done for Hunters Point as well. The reason I ask is that it adds to the processing time and you have to take another day off work to be sitting around for them to visit. Has anyone had to do this with Hunters Point yet? If you have an apartment there, let us all know. Many thanks.
Nope...No home inspection to my current place. Which lotteries have done this?

Old 07-11-2015, 05:10 PM

99 posts, read 190,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_nurse2014 View Post
Nope...No home inspection to my current place. Which lotteries have done this?
A home inspection of your current living conditions is part of all Mitchell-Lama housing lotteries. I have also heard that for certain programs on the lotteries found on Housing Connect, this is also the case. Sounds like for Hunters Point they are forgoing this or it is not a requirement. Probably, they simply have too many apartments to fill as soon as possible. If anyone has had a home inspection done, let us know. Otherwise, I guess there won't be any, which is good.

Old 07-11-2015, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwsmithii View Post
Contacted 02/15 and was told that my application had been selected for further review. After sending financial documents demonstrating our income I was told that we were within the required income limits and signed a lease + gave deposit 03/15 for a 06/15/15 move in date. I was later notified that our unite would not be ready by 06/15/15 and that we could move in on 08/03/15. Signed a second lease and was told after asking for compensation for a changed move in date it was agreed that I would be getting a ~800 rent credit. I was asked to submit my last 4 pay stubs on 06/29 and on 07/08/15 scheduled my move time with the buildings moving coordinator, later that day I was contacted by a leasing representative telling me that we make to much and are not eligible to move in.

My question here is if anyone else has experienced a similar situation. We were scheduled to move in on 08/03 and after going to see our unit today 07/11/15 were told that we could not move in due to our income. It sounds like they botched our application in the first place and should have never given us a lease to sign.
Wow...thats messy. Sorry you are experiencing this. Has your income changed since feb? Do you receive bonuses or anything like that? Any union back pay? etc?

I would contact the leasing rep and ask them how they calculated your income. Go into the office and let them show you their formulas and what not.

Also...they told you on 7/8 you weren't eligible but they still let you see the unit today? t

Old 07-11-2015, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieNYC View Post
A home inspection of your current living conditions is part of all Mitchell-Lama housing lotteries. I have also heard that for certain programs on the lotteries found on Housing Connect, this is also the case. Sounds like for Hunters Point they are forgoing this or it is not a requirement. Probably, they simply have too many apartments to fill as soon as possible. If anyone has had a home inspection done, let us know. Otherwise, I guess there won't be any, which is good.
Thanks for sharing! I had no idea. I am on the waiting-list for a Mitchell-Lama so thats good to know.

How has your experience been with HPS?

Old 07-11-2015, 05:40 PM

136 posts, read 217,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulwsmithii View Post

Wow, to go thru all this including the lease to get rejected, is horrible. Which building were you supposed to move in? If your income was high, the least they could of done was let u pay a higher rent instead of not giving you the unit after all this hassle. Disgusting, in my opinion, typical bureacracy. Exactly my point thus far with HPS.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:45 PM

94 posts, read 216,550 times
After my 3 month appeal I am happy to say I saw 2 apartments today. Seems like its really slim pickings right now, at least anything with a move in date that is coming up soon. They basically show you two apartments and you are required to pick one or be put on the waiting list. I actually requested a high floor apartment with west views and was OK with delaying my move in date, but they showed me two on the 3rd floor. So don't expect to get any of your preference met at this point. They will show you what they still have left. Both had flaws, but I wasn't expecting to get everything.

I am somewhat pleased with my studio. I am going to pick the first one out of two they showed me. Unfortunately, it is on the third floor so it has those ugly metal bars on the window. It was facing north with decent views, but the metal bars were blocking some of the views including the Chrysler Building (whoever thought of this art installation should seriously be fired). The studios were completely different and were both in the 1561 price rance.

Studio 1 ~500 sq feet(the one im going to chose)

North view
Closed in kitchen to the right when you walk in (which was completely awesome for a studio)
Kitchen was missing drawers for utensils (UGGHHH!!!)
Bathroom was a very nice size
Entryway and living area were nice size
2 closets which was decent
views of upper Manhattan, decent river views, and views of the Queensborough Bridge
Ugly Metal Bars
Street light outside which might be annoying when it glows at night

Studio 2 ~500 sq ft (The one i'm passing on)

East view
Living area was decent
View was crappy (building next door and nothing else)
Ugly Metal Bars
Walk in Closet (did not make up for the flaws)
Kitchen was completely in the living area, which was a complete deal breaker.

Some things to note (applies to middle income):

-Amenities for a studio around $130 (Annually, NOT monthly). This includes Gym and all
-low price 1 bedrooms are GONE! for middle income. At least for anyone with community board preference. If you don't have preference, you might still have a shot.
-Was told no specific differences between the price ranges for the apartments. They still do have $1561 studios available but like I said very slim pickings
-You have 1 day to decide which apartment you want and come up with a check for 2 months rent.

Old 07-11-2015, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtothisforum View Post
After my 3 month appeal I am happy to say I saw 2 apartments today. Seems like its really slim pickings right now, at least anything with a move in date that is coming up soon. They basically show you two apartments and you are required to pick one or be put on the waiting list. I actually requested a high floor apartment with west views and was OK with delaying my move in date, but they showed me two on the 3rd floor. So don't expect to get any of your preference met at this point. They will show you what they still have left. Both had flaws, but I wasn't expecting to get everything.

I am somewhat pleased with my studio. I am going to pick the first one out of two they showed me. Unfortunately, it is on the third floor so it has those ugly metal bars on the window. It was facing north with decent views, but the metal bars were blocking some of the views including the Chrysler Building (whoever thought of this art installation should seriously be fired). The studios were completely different and were both in the 1561 price rance.

Studio 1 ~500 sq feet(the one im going to chose)

North view
Closed in kitchen to the right when you walk in (which was completely awesome for a studio)
Kitchen was missing drawers for utensils (UGGHHH!!!)
Bathroom was a very nice size
Entryway and living area were nice size
2 closets which was decent
views of upper Manhattan, decent river views, and views of the Queensborough Bridge
Ugly Metal Bars
Street light outside which might be annoying when it glows at night

Studio 2 ~500 sq ft (The one i'm passing on)

East view
Living area was decent
View was crappy (building next door and nothing else)
Ugly Metal Bars
Walk in Closet (did not make up for the flaws)
Kitchen was completely in the living area, which was a complete deal breaker.

Some things to note (applies to middle income):

-Amenities for a studio around $130 (Annually, NOT monthly). This includes Gym and all
-low price 1 bedrooms are GONE! for middle income. At least for anyone with community board preference. If you don't have preference, you might still have a shot.
-Was told no specific differences between the price ranges for the apartments. They still do have $1561 studios available but like I said very slim pickings
-You have 1 day to decide which apartment you want and come up with a check for 2 months rent.
Congratulations on your apartment! Did you sign your lease? and when is your move-in date?

Old 07-11-2015, 08:01 PM

94 posts, read 216,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_nurse2014 View Post
Congratulations on your apartment! Did you sign your lease? and when is your move-in date?
I need to go to the bank to get certified bank checks on Monday.

My move in date is July 25 (was expecting it to be much later. But again, I appealed for 3 months and it doesn't look like they moved it back).

Old 07-11-2015, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtothisforum View Post
I need to go to the bank to get certified bank checks on Monday.

My move in date is July 25 (was expecting it to be much later. But again, I appealed for 3 months and it doesn't look like they moved it back).
Awesome! I have to do the same on Monday. Meet with the leasing rep Tuesday. Keeping my fingers crossed everything turns out smoothly.

Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery