Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 04:48 PM

101 posts, read 159,494 times

Advertisements

I signed my lease and I am ready for Sept 1st! My coordinator was very nice and took me to see the apt again and the laundry room. I am super excited and since I am painting first, I have to go in one day to get the keys and get my walking tour. They did recommend to move in before the 15th of the month. I also took a tour of the supermarket in front of the building, I love it!!!

While I was with the coordinator signing papers, another one of the coordinators was talking very loud with a middle income candidate that everyone could hear the conversation. Two things she said stuck with me, they are up to log#s 17k and that everyone regardless whether they are low or middle income had to be offered at least 2 choices when it came to apts. Towards the end it becomes impossible so they start assigning units to the candidates. Now the woman with the coordinator was on her first interview and her log # was in the 22ks no preference. She was told she would have to wait until her log# came up and to prepare for the possibility of not being any studios left at that point.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:56 PM

142 posts, read 198,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divina50 View Post
I signed my lease and I am ready for Sept 1st! My coordinator was very nice and took me to see the apt again and the laundry room. I am super excited and since I am painting first, I have to go in one day to get the keys and get my walking tour. They did recommend to move in before the 15th of the month.

While I was with the coordinator signing papers, another one of the coordinators was talking so loud with a middle income candidate that everyone could hear the conversation. Two things she said stuck with me, they are up to log#s 17k and that everyone regardless weather is low or middle income had to be offered at least 2 choices when it came to apts. Towards the end it becomes impossible so they start assigning units to the candidates. Now the woman with the coordinator was on her first interview and her log # was in the 22ks no preference. She was told she would have to wait until her log# came up and to prepare for the possibility of not being any studios left at that point.
Congratulations, a very exciting new start for you. What color are you painting.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICCAT View Post
Congratulations, a very exciting new start for you. What color are you painting.
Thanks, I'm still not sure, debating between a light blue or a sage green color. I lived with white walls for 18 years, cannot wait to see some color on my walls!

Old 08-21-2015, 05:17 PM

142 posts, read 198,812 times
Divina 50 how long did it take for final approval from the city.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Divina 50 how long did it take for final approval from the city.
1 week.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:01 PM

50 posts, read 68,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divina50 View Post
I signed my lease and I am ready for Sept 1st! My coordinator was very nice and took me to see the apt again and the laundry room. I am super excited and since I am painting first, I have to go in one day to get the keys and get my walking tour. They did recommend to move in before the 15th of the month. I also took a tour of the supermarket in front of the building, I love it!!!

While I was with the coordinator signing papers, another one of the coordinators was talking very loud with a middle income candidate that everyone could hear the conversation. Two things she said stuck with me, they are up to log#s 17k and that everyone regardless whether they are low or middle income had to be offered at least 2 choices when it came to apts. Towards the end it becomes impossible so they start assigning units to the candidates. Now the woman with the coordinator was on her first interview and her log # was in the 22ks no preference. She was told she would have to wait until her log# came up and to prepare for the possibility of not being any studios left at that point.
Thanks, Divina, for telling us what you heard. I wonder how long they thought they would reach her log number because I would be ahead of her assuming they take me off the preference list if it's filled and put me in numerical order with the no preference population. And I want a one bedroom.did they seem available from what you heard? I would gladly wait if I didn't have this landlord problem..
Anyway, Congrats! You deserve it!

Old 08-21-2015, 06:02 PM

15 posts, read 26,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyDNYC View Post
I'm mid-income and have a log # of about 14K, no preferences. I qualify for any of the studios or a 1br in that range. I'm hoping to be offered a place as soon as tomorrow. What is your log #?
I thought you said in an earlier post you were a log of 50k?

Old 08-21-2015, 06:24 PM

63 posts, read 110,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danseurderrick View Post
Interesting, I didn't know about that! Maybe 33% of the terraces go to low income?

ALSO something just occurred to me...did they segregate even for the application process? I'm wondering, did the middle income people have all their meetings in that main Related office with the scale models of the buildings? And did all the low income people have to go all the way down that long hallway into that dungeon where cubicles go to die? :P I just assumed everyone's meetings were in that weird separate office, but maybe not?
I'm lower income and I never visited that dungeon you mention. I have been to that office with the scale models no less than 7 times.

I had a housing coordinator for the initial interview and then again after I won my appeals. I met a leasing coordinator who showed me my unit and two days ago I met the housing supervisor at the same office in Chelsea, to sign the final docs that go to the city for approval. EVERYBODY has been fantastic, so very helpful and understanding. They have gone out of their way to expedite the process and they respond my emails and calls in a very timely manner.

Having said this, I am still anxiously waiting to sign my lease. I have move in date of Sept 8 and I am getting so nervous...

Old 08-21-2015, 06:29 PM

110 posts, read 218,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lichopefull View Post
I thought you said in an earlier post you were a log of 50k?
I did say that, but I got confused with my log # in another lottery. I think it was for some affordable apts in Harlem. When I met with the leasing agent, he mentioned I was around 14k, then I double-checked on NYC Housing Connect and realized I'd looked at the wrong one.

Old 08-21-2015, 06:59 PM

94 posts, read 216,426 times
Quote:
I think the few people in the lower income bracket are thankful but are a little surprised when they first walk into the studios that are 280-300 sq ft. It becomes a real challenge once below 375 sq ft for anyone to live.

I'm sure having to buy new furniture to fit is a burden financially. I live in 500 sq ft and to go down 150-200 sq ft would be a challenge as well. Most people are buying new furniture these days due to bed bugs.
There is no way the low income studios are 300 sq feet… Based on the low income studio floorplans posted so far, they are definitely bigger. I don't have the floor plan with me, but I will say the floor plan posted was not too much smaller then mine. Again, I didn't realize how big my studio was until I started putting all my furniture in the living area.

I think people are not counting the bathroom and the kitchen which take up a lot of square feet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery