Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 10:29 PM

101 posts, read 159,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_nurse2014 View Post
I am glad that it is against the law to lump all the lower income tenants into the less desirable parts of the building. However, I am in the upper moderate income category (according the the HPS chart) and was offered a selection of 3 different apartments (1 in crossing, 2 commons) and 2 of those choices were on the 2nd and 4th floor facing that grey wall of the school.

If theres a lucky 33% mixed into the "better" part of the building why do you doubt that lower income folks would have private terraces?

Do the lower income folks get to also fill out the preference sheet? Are their preferences actually taken in consideration?
I'm low income, I never filled out a preference sheet. I was never offered any choice. In spite of that, still pinching myself I was this lucky.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:53 PM

357 posts, read 656,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divina50 View Post
I'm low income, I never filled out a preference sheet. I was never offered any choice. In spite of that, still pinching myself I was this lucky.
We all are very lucky regardless of income level and should be pinching ourselves. 93k people applied to this and we got picked. I'm glad it's a mixed income building and that I will have a variety of neighbors ☺️.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:59 PM

10 posts, read 14,887 times
Default just wondering

Has anyone had to write an appeal for getting rejected and did they accept you?
Im wondering what are the chances of getting the unit?

Thanks!

Old 08-22-2015, 08:08 AM

20 posts, read 27,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroPlus2027 View Post
An interview means that your application looks like it may be eligible. It can take any time between 2 to 8 weeks before you get the call letting you know that the property will be moving forward with your application. Many factors play into this...missing paperwork, the amount of time it takes to receive a third party verification, the amount of units available, the amount of eligible files that have preference before yours.
Many thanks MetroPlus, my coordinator did tell me it takes 6/8 weeks before I get notified one way or another.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:01 AM

94 posts, read 216,435 times
Quote:
I am glad that it is against the law to lump all the lower income tenants into the less desirable parts of the building. However, I am in the upper moderate income category (according the the HPS chart) and was offered a selection of 3 different apartments (1 in crossing, 2 commons) and 2 of those choices were on the 2nd and 4th floor facing that grey wall of the school.

If theres a lucky 33% mixed into the "better" part of the building why do you doubt that lower income folks would have private terraces?

You got me wondering though..Do the lower income folks get to also fill out the preference sheet? and are their preferences actually taken in consideration?

I was middle income and for preferences put high floor facing west as my move in date was flexible. So I'm under the impression that they don't care what your preferences are. Low income or middle income. At least at the point that I interviewed. I appealed for 3 months, so it was definitely frustrating to be shown what they had left far along in the process through no fault of my own.

I was offered 2 apartments on the third floor. One was facing north (the one I took) and one was facing south facing another building. Bottom line, I highly doubt they are just offering the low income people the less desirable apartments. Just be happy with what you have. Either if your low income or middle income, you are still paying way less then market rate for the neighborhood. I think some people just start expecting the world. You will not be offered a west facing view on a high floor unless you are in the highest bracket of each category. Thats just the way it is and the only way it makes sense. People in the highest bracket get the most priority for their preferences. And why not? they are paying more. I was in the lowest bracket for a studio so my expectations were not out of this world. I felt that if it met two out of four of my expectations, that would be fine i knew it wasn't going to meet all of them.

Last edited by Newtothisforum; 08-22-2015 at 09:12 AM..

Old 08-22-2015, 09:15 AM

94 posts, read 216,435 times
Quote:
I will say this though, had they not offered me something mid-level in addition to those 2nd and 4th floor choices I would have walked away.
Just curious, why weren't you happy with the apartments on the second and fourth floor? where they just facing another building?

Old 08-22-2015, 09:20 AM

4 posts, read 6,080 times
Anyone know the name of the people supervising the tenant selection process from Related or HDC??
If you have a problem that you want to discuss with someone other than your coordinator about the process, who is there to talk to?
And hello everybody

Old 08-22-2015, 09:54 AM

9 posts, read 14,063 times
One interesting thing about how they calculate your income—by the time we had to recertify, I had gotten a new job. Because I didn't start the job before the beginning of the pay period (I started on June 8), my first paycheck was given to me at the end of the month and included three weeks of pay.

HPS calculates your annual income based on the average from the total pay from the last four paychecks, not based on the biweekly rate (which is clearly stated on all paychecks, even my large one). I even explained when submitting why the first one was large.

When I signed the recertification documents, they had listed my annual salary as nearly $10k more than what I make because of this, and when I mentioned it to our agent, she said that's just how it's done. I'm super lucky I didn't decide to start at my job on June 3 (I could've if I wanted), because who knows if that would've pushed us out of the income range? We were pretty close to the top of our range as it was. Sort of moronic.

By the way, I'm croquemme's boyfriend.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtothisforum View Post
I was middle income and for preferences put high floor facing west as my move in date was flexible. So I'm under the impression that they don't care what your preferences are. Low income or middle income. At least at the point that I interviewed. I appealed for 3 months, so it was definitely frustrating to be shown what they had left far along in the process through no fault of my own.

I was offered 2 apartments on the third floor. One was facing north (the one I took) and one was facing south facing another building. Bottom line, I highly doubt they are just offering the low income people the less desirable apartments. Just be happy with what you have. Either if your low income or middle income, you are still paying way less then market rate for the neighborhood. I think some people just start expecting the world. You will not be offered a west facing view on a high floor unless you are in the highest bracket of each category. Thats just the way it is and the only way it makes sense. People in the highest bracket get the most priority for their preferences. And why not? they are paying more. I was in the lowest bracket for a studio so my expectations were not out of this world. I felt that if it met two out of four of my expectations, that would be fine i knew it wasn't going to meet all of them.
Well said.

And I am very happy with what I was given. I didnt mean to give the impression that I am not.

Someone on the forum mentioned that their income had something to do with getting a high floor apartment and then another person of a low income mentioned that they were also on a high floor.

So yes, a mixture of people are getting "less desirable" and a mixture are getting awesome views....and clearly those in the top 135k bracket are gonna get first dibs ;-)

Old 08-22-2015, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by croquemssr View Post
One interesting thing about how they calculate your income—by the time we had to recertify, I had gotten a new job. Because I didn't start the job before the beginning of the pay period (I started on June 8), my first paycheck was given to me at the end of the month and included three weeks of pay.

HPS calculates your annual income based on the average from the total pay from the last four paychecks, not based on the biweekly rate (which is clearly stated on all paychecks, even my large one). I even explained when submitting why the first one was large.

When I signed the recertification documents, they had listed my annual salary as nearly $10k more than what I make because of this, and when I mentioned it to our agent, she said that's just how it's done. I'm super lucky I didn't decide to start at my job on June 3 (I could've if I wanted), because who knows if that would've pushed us out of the income range? We were pretty close to the top of our range as it was. Sort of moronic.

By the way, I'm croquemme's boyfriend.
Oh ...lol

I was wondering why she changed her name. Welcome to the forum.

They also over-calculated my salary...by TWENTY THOUSAND DOLLARS!!! When I went in the office the first time they put me in some absurd bracket and I was like I do not make that much. But they were taking into account back pay from the union.

I sent them updated pay stubs and they still over calculated my income by 10k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery