Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 03:51 PM

457 posts, read 737,243 times

Advertisements

LICHOPEFUL,

Congrats. My coordinator finally responded 2 me today and they did my paperwork and credit check months ago. She told me today to give up all hope. Ain't that grand?

Old 08-20-2015, 04:13 PM

10 posts, read 14,886 times
Default Still hoping for the best!

the wait...

Old 08-20-2015, 04:20 PM

103 posts, read 158,839 times
After months of waiting and stressful anticipation, I picked up the keys to our new home in Crossing today. Stepping foot into our apartment made it all worth it! While there were definitely times where I was pulling my hair out, the team at Related really handle the move-in process well. When I arrived, the concierge had my keys ready for me and I was taken through the entire apartment by the maintenance manager and he explained how everything worked and make sure everything was up to standards. There was also a nice welcome bag waiting in the kitchen and a roll of toilet paper in the bathroom (it's the little things, right?). They also had the A/Cs on so the place was nice and cool when I got in.

A few hours later, another maintenance staff member stopped by to say hello and ask if I needed help with anything. They offered to put additional storage bars up in the closet as well if I decided I needed them.

Interestingly enough, I did ask about the heat situation as we were talking through. He explained that the heat is generated by gas, which they pay for. It's blown through the apartment by electric fan, which we pay for. Ultimately, it'll result in a much lower heating bill than if we were responsible for the whole thing. We live in a building like that now, and the bill honestly isn't too crazy since it's well insulated and the windows are thick/tinted. Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Hunters Point South Housing Lottery-img_3030.jpg  

Old 08-20-2015, 04:27 PM

9 posts, read 14,127 times
Sorry to hear that NYCLottery girl. What did they actually say to you on the phone?

Old 08-20-2015, 04:29 PM

163 posts, read 271,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroPlus2027 View Post
You can get married/divorced/give birth/household member passes are examples.

Rent subsidized programs are the programs where your rent is determined every year based off of your annual income. It's usually a sliding scale situation and usually doesn't exceed 30% of your annual income, few exceptions.

In reference to Hunter's Point South, this is a rent stabilized Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program. Rent stabilized differs from rent subsidized.

Using your hypothetical situation with the over-limit income & partner, you recertify, you're over the maximum income limit for a 2 person household but are under the 140% rule...you will pay the same rent that is indicated on your lease until your lease expires. Upon expiration of your lease you will be sent a renewal which will allow you to choose another 1 or 2 year lease option and with those options come a respective Rent Guidelines Board increase (i.e. 1 year = 1% increase 2 year = 2.75% increase).

The rents for Hunter's Point South are separated by household size and annual household income. So once you qualify and move in, you will continue with that same initial rent until the lease expires and you choose your new option. You will not be switched to a new "tier of rent." The only time you will change initial rents is if you move into a different size unit.

Recertification and choosing your new lease terms are two totally separate processes.
Good point, there are household size changes that actually mean a decrease in income. Any household size changes that even raises your income by 50% though is too much to move units (140% rule). So my future partner doesn't need to have a job, lol.

I agree with you on all points except your initial one that you get kicked out over 140% of your income limit. As far as my research shows, they are expressly forbidden from making you move even when you are over the 140% limit, they just have to offset your unit by turning the next vacant market rate unit into a tax credit unit (Available Unit Rule). But at HPS it's deep rent skew and the tax credit units are fixed, so the rule is kind of redundant or like dividing by 0. (They might have to turn the next 50% AMI unit into a 40% AMI unit, but I dunno.)

Old 08-20-2015, 04:37 PM

163 posts, read 271,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICaviator View Post
After months of waiting and stressful anticipation, I picked up the keys to our new home in Crossing today. Stepping foot into our apartment made it all worth it! While there were definitely times where I was pulling my hair out, the team at Related really handle the move-in process well. When I arrived, the concierge had my keys ready for me and I was taken through the entire apartment by the maintenance manager and he explained how everything worked and make sure everything was up to standards. There was also a nice welcome bag waiting in the kitchen and a roll of toilet paper in the bathroom (it's the little things, right?). They also had the A/Cs on so the place was nice and cool when I got in.

A few hours later, another maintenance staff member stopped by to say hello and ask if I needed help with anything. They offered to put additional storage bars up in the closet as well if I decided I needed them.

Interestingly enough, I did ask about the heat situation as we were talking through. He explained that the heat is generated by gas, which they pay for. It's blown through the apartment by electric fan, which we pay for. Ultimately, it'll result in a much lower heating bill than if we were responsible for the whole thing. We live in a building like that now, and the bill honestly isn't too crazy since it's well insulated and the windows are thick/tinted. Hope this helps!

This post makes me so happy! Congrats and Welcome Home indeed! Can't wait for all of us to write this post.

I hope there's a really cool vibe among neighbors, I'd imagine everyone feels equally grateful and relieved and fortunate! We can all relate to the same thing haha

Old 08-20-2015, 04:37 PM

41 posts, read 65,807 times
Default Parking rates

Was there today. Studio is so damn small and poorly designed. I don't know what the designers were thinking. But here's a pic of their parking rates for anyone that is curious.
Attached Thumbnails
Hunters Point South Housing Lottery-screen-shot-2015-08-20-6.34.34  

Old 08-20-2015, 04:39 PM

457 posts, read 737,243 times
WishMeLuck, my coordinator actually contacted me cause I've been asking for a status update for weeks now. So I got the call and it basically said there almost full and to basically give up on my hopes and dreams. That's the last thing I wanted to hear because the humidity has truly given me a bad hair day. I almost look like Rachel Dolezal LOL!

Old 08-20-2015, 04:43 PM

71 posts, read 107,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopingForTheBest View Post
Was there today. Studio is so damn small and poorly designed. I don't know what the designers were thinking. But here's a pic of their parking rates for anyone that is curious.
Thank you for this! I've been contemplating whether or not to get a spot due to it being $300 (with taxes and fees), now that I see we can get a reserved parking for less, I might just do that instead. This is good news!

Old 08-20-2015, 04:47 PM

103 posts, read 158,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bball212 View Post
Thank you for this! I've been contemplating whether or not to get a spot due to it being $300 (with taxes and fees), now that I see we can get a reserved parking for less, I might just do that instead. This is good news!
That sign is actually very poorly written and misleading. To park monthly, it's $300 (which you can probably talk down to $275 or 250 as we were able to do). That gets you a spot with full valet parking. Oddly, that additional $150 allows you to park your own car from what I understand - which seems really backwards to me. I forgot how that differs from park & lock - which I believe is when you park yourself and take the keys with you. We just pay $250 a month, which gets us an assigned "spot number" and they park the car for us without any additional fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery