Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2015, 07:15 AM

20 posts, read 27,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCLotteryGurl View Post
Heat and gas is free, but since you have a new AC/heat unit built.into the wall and not the old NYC traditional heaters where you turn the knob, the heat is basically electric since it's electric powered. Expect a cheap con ed bill in March, April, September and October only.

Now if you would only channel that energy you used in doing your research to landing a job that pays 6 figures, you'd be all set for life.

I think if you spent half the time you do on this forum trolling for attention, you'd be a billionaire.

Pride myself on not indulging attention seekers such as yourself but you have no business telling other people how to live their lives. This forum is for people who are seeking insight into this apartment application process... In other words, no one cares for your unnecessary and irrelevant commentary.

Old 08-20-2015, 07:38 AM

163 posts, read 271,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossingstenant View Post
So I looked into the heat thing. From the IslandAire website (the maker of our A/C heater combos), I found a model that looks like ours and it says "The GS model utilizes gas heat to create high efficiency warmth for your home." If that's the case, it makes sense why the lease would say "heat included" because our gas is included. I'm piecing information together, so I obviously don't know for sure, but that's how I'd interpret it.

You can see it here:

Islandaire Packaged Terminal Air Conditioners (PTAC) | EZ Series GS

Good sleuthing! Never heard of such a thing but it's true, unit available in "cooling only" or "cooling with natural gas heat". Guess we get the latter!

Old 08-20-2015, 07:42 AM

32 posts, read 45,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divina50 View Post
I was told by someone who saw my pictures that it looks like I'll be seeing a thousand dollar electric bill in the winter because of the window unit, I told them that the heat and cooking gas is included in the rent according to the lottery. He said they lied to you. I'm hoping they are wrong and that it's not the case.
Gas and water is included, electricity you pay for. For reference, my old place was a 2 bedroom with a living room that had wrap around windows. It depends on how well the windows seal, but it was definitely not super expensive. $130 at the height of winter.

On a different note, the windows have some metal embedded in them that reflect UV which is great for the summer. I'm noticing that my unit does not get very hot right now, and whenever the sun is blasting and I'm near the windows, the surface of the windows are cool. Neat stuff.

While the heating/cooling unit attached to the wall is powered by electricity, I suppose you could heat your apartment by leaving the oven on too and it'd be run by gas lol

Last edited by HomerJay1990; 08-20-2015 at 07:59 AM..

Old 08-20-2015, 07:54 AM

32 posts, read 45,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICaviator View Post
For those that have moved in, at what point do you gain access to the online resident portal? I know it can be used to make maintenance requests and pay the rent, just wasn't sure when you get your login details.

I had to ask for the code so I can create my account. Once you get it though it's pretty much immediate.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:30 AM

357 posts, read 656,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossingstenant View Post
So I looked into the heat thing. From the IslandAire website (the maker of our A/C heater combos), I found a model that looks like ours and it says "The GS model utilizes gas heat to create high efficiency warmth for your home." If that's the case, it makes sense why the lease would say "heat included" because our gas is included. I'm piecing information together, so I obviously don't know for sure, but that's how I'd interpret it.

You can see it here:

Islandaire Packaged Terminal Air Conditioners (PTAC) | EZ Series GS
Thank you for once again presenting facts and not pure nonsense. Repped!!!

Old 08-20-2015, 08:37 AM

101 posts, read 159,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJay1990 View Post
Gas and water is included, electricity you pay for. For reference, my old place was a 2 bedroom with a living room that had wrap around windows. It depends on how well the windows seal, but it was definitely not super expensive. $130 at the height of winter.

On a different note, the windows have some metal embedded in them that reflect UV which is great for the summer. I'm noticing that my unit does not get very hot right now, and whenever the sun is blasting and I'm near the windows, the surface of the windows are cool. Neat stuff.

While the heating/cooling unit attached to the wall is powered by electricity, I suppose you could heat your apartment by leaving the oven on too and it'd be run by gas lol
I just had mental image of the oven on to heat the apt, in such a new and pretty apt, I had a good laugh!

When I was a teenager my parents lived in a 3 bedroom apt near the J train in East New York. We didn't get heat for days and had to sleep with our coats and put the oven on.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:49 AM

46 posts, read 70,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomerJay1990 View Post

I know you're making a joke, but would highly recommend against using an oven for heat, that's how fires get started. And comments like this will give bad ideas to some, especially those on tight budgets.

Old 08-20-2015, 08:54 AM

372 posts, read 398,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAndConfusedHPSGuy View Post
I know you're making a joke, but would highly recommend against using an oven for heat, that's how fires get started. And comments like this will give bad ideas to some, especially those on tight budgets.
It should be a measure of last resort because your power is out and it's below freezing, not because you want to save a few bucks on the heating bill.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:38 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,528,293 times
Congratulations to all who are/ have moved in to Hunters Point South! The pictures posted look very nice and I hope that you enjoy your new apartments.

You all are inviting us over next year to view the 4th of July fireworks, right? I'll bring the hotdogs!

Old 08-20-2015, 09:51 AM

36 posts, read 62,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danseurderrick View Post
Where do you get this information about getting kicked out if you start making over 60x the rent? I've never seen that anywhere.That's not that much more money, really, and would fly in the face of how agents have literally told people that you could win the lottery once you're in and not get kicked out.

If that IS true, do you think a person could get on the waitlist for the next income bracket instead of having to move out entirely? And if this was discovered during a 2-year lease, could you finish it out?
It is part of the Low Income Housing Tax Credit Program rules, which can be found in the HUD manual. And technically if you win the lottery, only 0.06% of that is counted as income since lottery winnings are considered an asset if it is held in any type of financial institution. I mean if you get periodic lottery winnings (monthly, weekly, etc.) that's different and will be counted as income. This information is available in the deed of the property, usually it states that during the recertification process the income cannot be more than 130 to 140% of the maximum allowable income becuase it will cause the property to be out of compliance of Section 42 requirements and lose its tax breaks.

If you are already moved in and your income exceeds the maximum allowable income you will still pay the same rent until your lease has expired. I'm not 100% sure that you can be placed on an income bracket waitlist, usually the waitlists are for bedroom size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery