Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2015, 04:23 PM

76 posts, read 127,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICaviator View Post
I didn't realize the balcony on the 30th floor was for apartments as well - I thought that was the private terrace for the building. Do you know if the terrace is on the front or the back side? The other balconies are awesome - there's 2-3 on the 10th floor and one on the 7th floor that's huge.
From what I've read, the amenity lounge/terrace area for Crossing is on the back Northeast corner. That means the rest of the 30th floor apartments, aside from a small portion of the back, have private terraces - those people on the front are extremely lucky! It seems like a strange choice to not place the amenity lounge and terrace on the front city-facing side, but they did not. They've been pretty tight-lipped with details about the amenity lounge/terrace in Crossing, so this is all to the best of my knowledge and you can see a small glimpse of it in the rendering below at the back Northeast corner of the building overlooking Commons.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hunters_point_south_02.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	139.2 KB
ID:	156022

Last edited by Crossingtenant; 08-19-2015 at 04:42 PM..

Old 08-19-2015, 04:26 PM

357 posts, read 657,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroPlus2027 View Post
This statement was offensive but I can respect your freedom of speech. Everyone in the low income category does not need to be screened to make sure their "baby daddy and 3 kids out of wedlock making 30K and under in NYC" Alot of the applicants in the low income category are hard working people who are trying their damndest to provide for themselves and/or their family. Knowledge is power and you my friend seem to be very judgemental and ignorant when it comes to how you view affordable housing.

And for the record every household at HPS is scheduled for an annual apartment inspection. What you may be referring to is the annual recertification, which is only for the low income households.
Welcome to the forum. Please ignore the troll. It will save you a headache.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICaviator View Post
For those that have moved in, at what point do you gain access to the online resident portal? I know it can be used to make maintenance requests and pay the rent, just wasn't sure when you get your login details.
I haven't moved in yet but already received access to the online portal. I got an email the day after I signed my lease.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:29 PM

22 posts, read 32,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAndConfusedHPSGuy View Post
Thanks so much for the thorough response.

I'm in exactly the same stage as you - in the moderate income bracket, had my meeting, chose the floor plan I liked (was told it's mine, assuming that when they ask me to reconfirm in November my financial situation is the same). My move in date is same as yours, seems like all the higher floors are slated to move in December.
I'm actually intrigued by this process. I am in the moderate income bracket, with a mid-30000s log number, and got my initial call from my leasing agent in June. I submitted my paperwork two days later, had a phone interview the next day, and then went to see the building the next Wednesday. However, I was not offered a choice of floorplans and was told that the building would need to wait until my log number is reached should there be units available (which makes sense). My leasing agent is very sweet, and she's very communicative, but I'm curious why some get the offer of a unit on the spot and some are waiting. I assume the log number, but I'm curious. (Take this just as curiosity! Not trying to rush things...my wife and I are impatient now that this seems real!)

Old 08-19-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileenandherbie View Post
I'm glad you're confident in the process...I'm afraid I no longer am.People on here have a log of 66,000 with no preferences are taken ahead of people with log of 20,000 with preference ,same moderate income, same apt size. The process needs to be transparent or runs the risk of appearing fixed. I hope I'm wrong. When someone call to check their status, they should be told specifics not vague generalities that seem to change with the wind.
That's really weird. At least they could give you a denial letter or something. But to have you waiting is just sickening. I say keep calling until you get a response.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:31 PM

457 posts, read 737,422 times
They're probably going by the units that are finished and what they can show, but who knows the method to their madness.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:50 PM

103 posts, read 158,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_nurse2014 View Post
I haven't moved in yet but already received access to the online portal. I got an email the day after I signed my lease.
Interesting! I tried to register myself but I don't have whatever code you need to create an account and haven't received an email either. I guess I'll ask my agent what needs to happen.

Old 08-19-2015, 04:58 PM

50 posts, read 68,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_nurse2014 View Post
That's really weird. At least they could give you a denial letter or something. But to have you waiting is just sickening. I say keep calling until you get a response.
And then we're told that if the preferences are filled, those with preferences go into the general population pool. The only problem with that is that they are already pulling from the general, no preference population. As to calling them, I can no longer trust them because they got my hopes up telling me it would be a week or two...and then they keep making excuses after they got my hopes up. Be patient, they say.well, I'm not because I don't know what I will say to a difficult landlord about signing a new lease in 2 weeks,

Old 08-19-2015, 04:59 PM

163 posts, read 271,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroPlus2027 View Post
Once you initially qualify and move-in, your household size may change, your income may change but your rent will remain the same. This isn't like subsidized housing where your rent fluctuates. However, if you are low income you will have to recertify every year. As long as you are not making 60x the rent or more, you will keep the same rent and will not be asked to move out. Also, if your household size changes and you would like to move into a larger/smaller size apartment you will have to income qualify for the new household size. In reference to lottery winnings/life insurance payouts/inheritance etc. those are counted as assets and only 0.06% is counted as income. However, if your assets exceed $250,000, HDC may fine Related or yourself which may result in legal issues.

Where do you get this information about getting kicked out if you start making over 60x the rent? I've never seen that anywhere.That's not that much more money, really, and would fly in the face of how agents have literally told people that you could win the lottery once you're in and not get kicked out.

If that IS true, do you think a person could get on the waitlist for the next income bracket instead of having to move out entirely? And if this was discovered during a 2-year lease, could you finish it out?

Old 08-19-2015, 05:04 PM

457 posts, read 737,422 times
Danseurderrick, I believe every standard NYC rent stablization lease has language that stipulates if a tenant eventually makes 200K or 250K throughout the duration in the apartment, that the LL has the right to raise the rent to market rate or 2K and above if the tenant was paying less than that. It is something to that effect, but no management Co or LL does continual salary verification after someone moves in. As long as the tenant pays on time, there shouldn't be any issues. That language is just another "what if" scenario to help greedy landlords win their case should the feel like they want a bigger slice of the money pie.

Why would it be discovered with a 2 year lease? Why would anyone harass you about your salary while you are living there? They might to an annual verification, but your middle income so I doubt they'd be interested in going after you. Is someone going to force you to do a credit check or hold you at gunpoint to submit pays tubs and tax returns?

Do you think Related Management has the time and energy to evict someone who is paying on time? And if your salary every becomes an issue, isnt that "discriminatory" to kick you out for making money? I mean...that sounds like a court case to me.

Last edited by NYCLotteryGurl; 08-19-2015 at 05:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.