Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2015, 07:07 PM

9 posts, read 14,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtothisforum View Post
There is no way the low income studios are 300 sq feet… Based on the low income studio floorplans posted so far, they are definitely bigger. I don't have the floor plan with me, but I will say the floor plan posted was not too much smaller then mine. Again, I didn't realize how big my studio was until I started putting all my furniture in the living area.

I think people are not counting the bathroom and the kitchen which take up a lot of square feet.
The living area in the studios are like 175-210square feet. So, add the bathroom and kitchen to that. I think for most, the living area space is most important. Don't need a huge bathroom. And don't need a huge kitchen.

And maybe you have tiny furniture. lol

Old 08-21-2015, 07:34 PM

3 posts, read 4,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newtothisforum View Post
There is no way the low income studios are 300 sq feet… Based on the low income studio floorplans posted so far, they are definitely bigger. I don't have the floor plan with me, but I will say the floor plan posted was not too much smaller then mine. Again, I didn't realize how big my studio was until I started putting all my furniture in the living area.

I think people are not counting the bathroom and the kitchen which take up a lot of square feet.
Agreed. I think the living/sleeping area ALONE for my studio is about 280 square feet. The kitchen and bathroom are pretty spacious themselves.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:49 PM

9 posts, read 14,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psyknit View Post
Agreed. I think the living/sleeping area ALONE for my studio is about 280 square feet. The kitchen and bathroom are pretty spacious themselves.
You're lucky then. U got more square footage because you were CB preference and interviewed in May. The low incomes after u seem to have much smaller living areas.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:19 PM

101 posts, read 159,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileenandherbie View Post
Thanks, Divina, for telling us what you heard. I wonder how long they thought they would reach her log number because I would be ahead of her assuming they take me off the preference list if it's filled and put me in numerical order with the no preference population. And I want a one bedroom.did they seem available from what you heard? I would gladly wait if I didn't have this landlord problem..
Anyway, Congrats! You deserve it!
Sorry to say, I think she did say there are no 1 bedrooms available even for middle income.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICCAT View Post
I think the few people in the lower income bracket are thankful but are a little surprised when they first walk into the studios that are 280-300 sq ft. It becomes a real challenge once below 375 sq ft for anyone to live.

I'm sure having to buy new furniture to fit is a burden financially. I live in 500 sq ft and to go down 150-200 sq ft would be a challenge as well. Most people are buying new furniture these days due to bed bugs.
I need to buy a new bed and couch, what I have is to big, but after paying rent and security I cannot afford it now. Thankfully my ex is painting the place and moving my stuff for free.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyknit View Post
Wow, that is nice. My living/bedroom area is only 209 square feet. I will manage somehow, I love my new place.

Old 08-21-2015, 08:59 PM

94 posts, read 216,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Divina50 View Post
Wow, that is nice. My living/bedroom area is only 209 square feet. I will manage somehow, I love my new place.
Just measured my living area, its around 21 by 12 if not smaller. If I can fit a couch, a tv stand, bookcases, a bed and more in here, then anyone can. The agent told me its around 500 sq feet, so they have to be getting that other sq feet from somewhere or they just blatantly lied to me. I do have a pretty big foyer, but definitely not enough to make for the the other sq footage. The one big advantage I do have is the kitchen is to the right right when you walk in, and completely separate from the living area, which does make the place a little more livable. I think its the best layout, but definitely with sacrifice of sq footage.

Either way, it is enough to live comfortably if you do not have too much stuff. But then again, one shouldn't be living in a studio if one has lots of stuff/furniture.

Keep in mind the kitchen/bathroom are both MUCH bigger then what you would find in 99% of studios. I don't know how much it matters to other people, but it definitely matters to me that I have a kitchen I can comfortably cook in with more cabinets and a bigger refrigerator then I would ever need.

Last edited by Newtothisforum; 08-21-2015 at 09:10 PM..

Old 08-21-2015, 10:16 PM

12 posts, read 47,180 times
Wait a minute! Does everyone have to re-submit financial documents such as paystubs even if they just submitted it a month ago?

Old 08-21-2015, 10:17 PM

357 posts, read 656,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousAndConfusedHPSGuy View Post
Actually that's exactly how it works. It's a 66/33 split, meaning, by law the building is not allowed to lump all the lower income tenants into the bottom or less desirable areas of the building, so 66% will be in those areas and the lucky 33% will be mixed into the "better" parts of the building.

Doubt you'll meet any upper moderate income folks on the lower floors facing the back of the building or for that matter, any lower income folks with private terraces.
I am glad that it is against the law to lump all the lower income tenants into the less desirable parts of the building. However, I am in the upper moderate income category (according the the HPS chart) and was offered a selection of 3 different apartments (1 in crossing, 2 commons) and 2 of those choices were on the 2nd and 4th floor facing that grey wall of the school.

If theres a lucky 33% mixed into the "better" part of the building why do you doubt that lower income folks would have private terraces?

You got me wondering though..Do the lower income folks get to also fill out the preference sheet? and are their preferences actually taken in consideration?

Last edited by bk_nurse2014; 08-21-2015 at 10:30 PM..

Old 08-21-2015, 10:20 PM

357 posts, read 656,963 times
I will say this though, had they not offered me something mid-level in addition to those 2nd and 4th floor choices I would have walked away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery