Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2015, 06:44 PM

357 posts, read 656,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenhouse13 View Post
Thanks for sharing! We are also in running for $3,300 2 bed but taking longer because we are self employs and so many things we have to get from financial manager.

I'm curious what floor you are on and when your move in date is, if you don't mind sharing.

Also for everyone else: has anyone heard any info on the "storage space" that is listed under the Amenities section on the website?? For a family of four in a 2 bedroom this would be very nice.

Thanks everyone for all the information.
Its $175 a month for the storage space

Old 07-25-2015, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing! We are also in running for $3,300 2 bed but taking longer because we are self employs and so many things we have to get from financial manager.

I'm curious what floor you are on and when your move in date is, if you don't mind sharing.

Also for everyone else: has anyone heard any info on the "storage space" that is listed under the Amenities section on the website?? For a family of four in a 2 bedroom this would be very nice.

Thanks everyone for all the information.
This is from the online resident portal.
Attached Thumbnails
Hunters Point South Housing Lottery-storage_agreement___hps_commons-page-001.jpg  

Old 07-25-2015, 06:58 PM

Amenity Fee Schedule
Attached Thumbnails
Hunters Point South Housing Lottery-hps_commons_amenity_fee_schedule-4-page-001.jpg  

Old 07-25-2015, 08:16 PM

63 posts, read 110,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danseurderrick View Post
So is there a brave low income renter out there with a story to share of getting approved for an apartment with a less than stellar credit score? I'm curious what the lowest they've approved is, and if they evaluate more case-by-case for certain low income people's situations. Or anyone who won an appeal around this?
Hi Danseurderrick,

I am in the lower income bracket and got approved for either a 2 or 3 bedroom. Unfortunately I had to appeal twice due to issues different from credit score and when I finally won my appeal, there were only 2 bedrooms and one bath, left for my income bracket. Last week I was offered a unit for September 8th move in. I am soon excited!

So here is what the leasing coordinator told me:

For the lower income bracket, Related checks all the paperwork and when they are fairly confident they have an excellent opportunity of presenting this candidate to be approved by the city, then and only then, they call the person in to offer a unit. At this point there are very few options left since the process is so far along already.

If you accept the unit, which we did, they send your file and unit option to the city housing and in about a week they get the response from them. The coordinator also said that they would call me in to sign a lease about two weeks before move in date, because the unit isn't ready and you have to see the unit before signing. (Although several people in this thread have signed without viewing their actual unit)

The leasing agent also explained that background check has already been performed once they call you in to offer a unit, but they only charge the amount for background check to those who are signing a lease. As per today, no inquiry has been made into my credit history, but my score is 630, rebuilding my credit after a very difficult couple of years.

The interview is for you to add up your estimated income for the year 2015, deduct business expenses if you are self employed on a 1099 and sign many papers for income and residence verification. I went April 7th to my first interview and June 30 for the second, which was basically to update all the paperwork.

Good luck on your process! Hope you make it!

Old 07-25-2015, 08:33 PM

457 posts, read 736,963 times
BK Nurse, thanks for posting all that stuff about the amenities.

The information was very helpful.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:14 PM

163 posts, read 271,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandNewCitizen111 View Post
Hi Danseurderrick,

I am in the lower income bracket and got approved for either a 2 or 3 bedroom. Unfortunately I had to appeal twice due to issues different from credit score and when I finally won my appeal, there were only 2 bedrooms and one bath, left for my income bracket. Last week I was offered a unit for September 8th move in. I am soon excited!

So here is what the leasing coordinator told me:

For the lower income bracket, Related checks all the paperwork and when they are fairly confident they have an excellent opportunity of presenting this candidate to be approved by the city, then and only then, they call the person in to offer a unit. At this point there are very few options left since the process is so far along already.

If you accept the unit, which we did, they send your file and unit option to the city housing and in about a week they get the response from them. The coordinator also said that they would call me in to sign a lease about two weeks before move in date, because the unit isn't ready and you have to see the unit before signing. (Although several people in this thread have signed without viewing their actual unit)

The leasing agent also explained that background check has already been performed once they call you in to offer a unit, but they only charge the amount for background check to those who are signing a lease. As per today, no inquiry has been made into my credit history, but my score is 630, rebuilding my credit after a very difficult couple of years.

The interview is for you to add up your estimated income for the year 2015, deduct business expenses if you are self employed on a 1099 and sign many papers for income and residence verification. I went April 7th to my first interview and June 30 for the second, which was basically to update all the paperwork.

Good luck on your process! Hope you make it!
Wow, CONGRATS and THANK YOU BrandNewCitizen! Your response was so helpful. And that's fantastic that you didn't give up and won two appeals. Do you mind messaging me what they were about and if you felt there was a fair structure in which to do so?

But maybe I won't have to appeal anything if they haven't even pulled your credit yet. See, I didn't think they were allowed to make low-income decisions based on credit score, per their FAQ...it says they only use that third party credit report (CoreLogic) for middle-income. Low-income they are supposed to scrutinize more carefully than just a number.

So am I to understand that your timeline has gone...1st interview, 2nd interview, background check, Related verifies, called in with an offer, your file sent to the city, city approves...and it will end with getting called in to view and sign? Do you think I bypassed any step for some reason for them to call me right in and not want me to send in documents ahead of time?

Finally, a few questions to throw out to you or anyone else who might have a thought...

...with my fluctuating performer's income, there are several ways to project it. They could add up the last full 365 days I've worked, and I'm in the bracket. They could average my last 3 tax years, and I'm in the bracket. But if they take my year to date and straight-up project it forward without making allowances for the seasonal nature of my work, it will put me above the bracket. How do we think they'll calculate this?

My summer gig was gonna drastically reduce hours or stop after the summer anyway and I was gonna look for something more permanent. Would it behoove me to quit that job effective end of summer and get a letter? It would ensure there's no way to calculate my income outside the bracket, and like I said it was gonna basically end anyway. I don't know if they care if you turn down jobs or money to ensure you're in a bracket? They might not love seeing employment that is ending. But how much are they allowed to base their decision on whether or not you have guaranteed income if your work is performing artist/seasonal mostly and never really guaranteed? I assume they just look to history?

Old 07-25-2015, 09:37 PM

ALSO...if they didn't look at your credit, did they at least ask you to document your monthly debt bills? When I was there making my appointment, I bugged a woman with some questions and she said you can't owe more than 22% of your monthly income to debt. Just wondering how they check that and when.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:39 PM

BTW, a thousand thank yous to everyone on this forum for sharing their stories. As you can tell I'm basically one of the most prepared people in the world who tries to think of everything ahead of time, haha, so this is really helping me to not go in there clueless

Old 07-26-2015, 07:52 AM

49 posts, read 81,997 times
Another random question someone may know more about.

Do you know if you have to have an active lease to qualify? Has anyone had to give copies of your lease or rent?

We have been in a weird situation and because of some family health issues we have been staying with family without paying full rent and have done some back and forth out of town.

Just hoping this doesn't exclude us for some reason.

Thanks for your help again.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Another random question someone may know more about.

Do you know if you have to have an active lease to qualify? Has anyone had to give copies of your lease or rent?

We have been in a weird situation and because of some family health issues we have been staying with family without paying full rent and have done some back and forth out of town.

Just hoping this doesn't exclude us for some reason.

Thanks for your help again.
They never asked me anything about current lease or living situation.

Were you selected for an apartment?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery