Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2015, 01:31 PM

103 posts, read 158,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossingstenant View Post
RCN actually said they would honor existing customers as "new customers" in the transfer of services when we called, which is awesome. As far as the wiring, you could be right - I just thought because our current building offered TWC and RCN that the cable wiring was the same. In any case, I guess we will find out soon enough and if there was an exclusive deal, that's a shame because there were clearly better deals available to all of us elsewhere.
Oh wow! They're really trying to get business from TWC and FIOS with that kind of deal! Fingers crossed!

Old 08-16-2015, 10:04 PM

69 posts, read 108,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_nurse2014 View Post
No I have a 1 bed room. I only took pics of the 2 bed.
for those who have moved in/ visited their actual apartment, is the unit painted white or another light color? the model unit seemed to be painted light grey or cream?

Old 08-16-2015, 11:06 PM

163 posts, read 271,231 times
A few questions...please humor me while I try to pass the time while I wait for a word! Bear in mind I am asking these from the perspective of low income, which is a different process...

1. What does the first positive contact from Related look like? Like, I had my initial interview almost 3 weeks ago, and I think I am waiting for an initial determination that I fit in the income bracket...I know they contacted my current employer for verification last week. So are they going to notify me like, "congratulations, you fit in the income bracket!" and then move on to the next step? Or do they just keep plugging forward without saying anything? My agent said that the process went something like...await verifications of all income, put together a file for her superior to approve, then wait for city approval on all that...but she never said if I get updated about what step they are at along the way.

2. This seems like it should be an obvious answer but it's freaking me out...a job that terminated last month, they can't include that in my income, can they? They are projecting a future income, not establishing my 2015 income, right? Cuz that job that ended was part of my 2015 income, but it's not part of my current or future income.

3. How did student loan debt affect anyone's process, if it all?

4. Did anyone have to answer any questions about their debt at all? Debt ratios and such? Obviously your debt is listed in your credit report so they are evaluating that, but I wonder how far into the weeds they go and if they like, ask you questions about it.

Remember I'm low income here...I don't wanna get freaked out unnecessarily by the people who went through a perhaps stricter (or less strict?) process for middle income, but any input is appreciated if you specify.

Thanks future neighbors! #positivity

Old 08-17-2015, 06:23 AM

103 posts, read 158,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aml1026 View Post
for those who have moved in/ visited their actual apartment, is the unit painted white or another light color? the model unit seemed to be painted light grey or cream?
Everything is painted a matte finish white.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:49 AM

8 posts, read 15,608 times
I'm also in the low income bracket. I supplied all my paperwork at my interview 2 weeks ago. I was told I wouldn't know anything for about 6-8 weeks but she would try to let me know sooner.

At this point I don't know how many low income spots are still left so I'm really nervous!!

Did you have a community board or city employee preference at all?

This was directed at danseurderrick

Thanks!

Old 08-17-2015, 07:57 AM

71 posts, read 107,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bk_nurse2014 View Post
Pics of the 2bed 2 bath...I didnt get pics of the living room or master bath. I was nervous and trying to get outta there lol

https://flic.kr/s/aHskhKJMSL

Thank you!!!

Old 08-17-2015, 08:14 AM

4,769 posts, read 6,558,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danseurderrick View Post
A few questions...please humor me while I try to pass the time while I wait for a word! Bear in mind I am asking these from the perspective of low income, which is a different process...

1. What does the first positive contact from Related look like? Like, I had my initial interview almost 3 weeks ago, and I think I am waiting for an initial determination that I fit in the income bracket...I know they contacted my current employer for verification last week. So are they going to notify me like, "congratulations, you fit in the income bracket!" and then move on to the next step? Or do they just keep plugging forward without saying anything? My agent said that the process went something like...await verifications of all income, put together a file for her superior to approve, then wait for city approval on all that...but she never said if I get updated about what step they are at along the way.

2. This seems like it should be an obvious answer but it's freaking me out...a job that terminated last month, they can't include that in my income, can they? They are projecting a future income, not establishing my 2015 income, right? Cuz that job that ended was part of my 2015 income, but it's not part of my current or future income.

3. How did student loan debt affect anyone's process, if it all?

4. Did anyone have to answer any questions about their debt at all? Debt ratios and such? Obviously your debt is listed in your credit report so they are evaluating that, but I wonder how far into the weeds they go and if they like, ask you questions about it.

Remember I'm low income here...I don't wanna get freaked out unnecessarily by the people who went through a perhaps stricter (or less strict?) process for middle income, but any input is appreciated if you specify.

Thanks future neighbors! #positivity
I recently observed a friend going through the process for another building, not a Related one, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt. I know you will get feedback from others in HPS.

1. After you are determined to be income eligible, and also credit eligible (based on your credit report, background check, etc.) you will need to sign some more papers giving the city investigators access to your tax forms (to see if they match the copies that you handed in). Then your file goes to HPD for approval. In my friend's case, HPD approval took one week.

2. There are three ways to determine income, and the guidelines state that the developer must calculate all three and then use the method that yields the highest result. I honestly don't know how a former job will be handled. Others have said that they had to get a manager at the previous job to affirm that the job was ended and no more income was being paid.

I assume you've handed in your six most recent pay stubs and tax returns for 2013 and 2014. Is your income higher on those tax forms?

3. and 4. Debt-to-income ratio is very important. That will be calculated, along with your credit rating. I'm sure if there's anything out of the ordinary, you will be asked about it.

Best of luck!

Last edited by macnyc2003; 08-17-2015 at 08:45 AM..

Old 08-17-2015, 08:57 AM

170 posts, read 315,293 times
For those of you who have gotten your leases, how long did it take to get the final approval after you turned in your paperwork?

I'm scheduled to move in on 9/1, but just emailed in the last of the paperwork Friday morning. (My boyfriend got a new job earlier this summer, and we had to wait until he had four paystubs from the new job before our paperwork would be considered complete.) Radio silence from my leasing rep since then.

I'm starting to get nervous. It's getting awfully close to our move-in date, and we still have no lease, and we haven't seen the apartment!

Old 08-17-2015, 09:12 AM

163 posts, read 271,231 times
Thanks for the input guys!

I have no preferences, but a relatively low number of low 2,000. My agent of course did not guarantee there'd be a unit for me, but through careful wording made me think there probably is, but of course no guarantees. That's why I'm hoping to avoid appeals though cuz I think you lose your place in line if anything goes outside the normal order of things. Without appeals though my agent said they absolutely have to offer #20 a unit before #21, as long as they are in the same category and everything is taking normal amounts of time. From this forum, I am gleaning that they just got to no-preference low income in July. I think a person with a number under 100 was only interviewed in July.

Related seems to have a slightly different order, as my agent already had me sign those tax transcript pages on day 1. So I don't think I have to go in again until they have a unit to show me. 6-8 weeks sounds like that includes the 4ish weeks for city processing. I guess I'm still wondering if they notify you that you qualify to them (Related) but now have to go through the city?

I was also told that credit is basically the last step, and that jives with anecdotal stories on here. I think it might even come after city approval, cuz whatever their exact criteria are, the specifics seem to be a Related prerogative. HUD says they are allowed to consider credit for low income as long as they advertise their criteria but it doesn't set those guidelines. If they follow FHA guidelines for loans (which is a stricter thing so might not be totally fair?) then credit score of 580+ passes but 500 is the floor (we know Related said the latter for sure). FHA usually wants a max of like 41 or 43% debt-to-income ratio with mortgage included...most of us won't have mortgages though, so I was told the debt-to-income max was 22% without rent. She also said she wasn't supposed to tell me that, ha.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:18 AM

94 posts, read 216,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LICaviator View Post
Everything is painted a matte finish white.
Seems like painted wallpaper to me. The stuff comes off very easily and gets scratched very easily. I got some weak mounting tape to mount some of my paintings and one of them fell because there wasn't enough tape. The paint/wallpaper came right off. I was very dissapointed. The mounting tape was not that strong and definitely did not make the wall peal when I used it on other walls.

They definitely cut corners with some of the stuff in the apartment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery