Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2017, 07:00 PM

86 posts, read 104,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2bblessed View Post
I see what the concern is.....no its 50% of the units not income band and the logic that follows is the log number..that's why it's called a lottery. So if the first 5 log numbers for CB pref apps qualify for all apartments in that income band, then yes...they will take the whole band because their log number came first.
But that's not fair. So half of the people living there is people w cb pref n the people in the band in 80k n more non pref.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:04 PM

86 posts, read 104,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
This lottery proves one thing... middle income single earners in this city are SCREWED.
So are moderate income w a family. I can't afford new York city rent w this ****ty job I got n mind u I have a masters degree. This city is a piece of work. You don't even understand how upset I am. To have a log number of 19 n to walk away with nothing is unbelievable to me. N I'm gonna make a stink about it.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:20 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,841 times
Oh, I can imagine. You have more a right to be angry than I do in this situation with that low of a log number. I was so happy to get a log number in the low 500's for a building recently, but seeing how this process truly shakes out gives me zero hope. Maybe they gave your apartment to a homeless person per the new rules from the city last October. Has anyone who has already moved into this building been noticing any errant shopping carts in the Yoga lounge?

Old 02-17-2017, 08:25 PM

40 posts, read 50,045 times
Quote:
Norikins, did you have the Same option as problematicbae of qualifying for another income bracket?
Yes, the top 2 for a 2 bedroom. But she had already told me that all middle brackets were full so we opted for the other one. But even then, we were told that nothing was guaranteed so just hope for the best.so fingers crossed!

Old 02-17-2017, 09:36 PM

155 posts, read 187,100 times
Quote:
Well then they broke the law because they completely forgot about the disability group and put the CB pref group first.
I'm not sure.. I'm part of the 2% and I got it quickly...

Old 02-18-2017, 07:50 AM

74 posts, read 93,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
This lottery proves one thing... middle income single earners in this city are SCREWED.
Not to be even more of a downer, but last night I was checking out the similar middle income bands/apartment availability for 38 6th Ave... it's even more bleak than 461 Dean. For those of you who also applied to 38 6th Ave, note that for the same middle income band that is already full at 461 Dean, there are ONLY 3 STUDIOS AND 6 1-BEDs available, TOTAL, at 38 6th ave. Compared to 33 and 20 1-bedrooms in the income bands immediately above and below it.

For a building with over 300 affordable apartments in it, there are 6 1-BEDROOMS for a single person making $50,000... compared to 66 1-BEDROOMS for SINGLE PERSON HOUSEHOLDS MAKING OVER $74,000!! WTF!!!!

https://a806-housingconnect.nyc.gov/...entPdf/324.pdf

Old 02-18-2017, 10:29 AM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,841 times
^ yup! wtf, indeed. I was pretty mad about that too, but I still applied, but now I know that unless you wind up with a log number of like 2 in that lottery and income band you are SOL.

Old 02-18-2017, 12:41 PM

10 posts, read 15,567 times
Hi, everyone - just want to say that I had my first interview yesterday. I am not a municipal employee and I live in the Bronx. My log number is in the 8xxx range. I was surprised to get an interview so late in the process so I made sure to ask a lot of questions. One thing that stood out for me was that, according to my intake person, there are several apartments set aside for the visually and hearing impaired because they have been specially equipped for them. Those have yet to be filled. I was also told that a lot of people in the upper income group had second thoughts and declined their apartments because they found them to be too expensive.

I was missing a few things like the last two pages of my bank statements that I didn't bring because I thought it wasn't needed. Sure enough, they said they needed to see every single page. Even if it's a blank page. Since I wanted my app to be complete because I live in the Bronx and didn't want to take a day off to go back, I went to the nearest Kinkos and spent $23 printing all missing documents. I also signed docs for the employment and background checks.

We'll see what happens. I got a raise so I'm now in a different income bracket than I was when I originally applied so I'm not sure if I want to jump from my current rent of about $800 to paying $2000 or even $2500 for a one bedroom apartment, which is what I wanted.

Anyway, just wanted to share my experience. Let the saga continue...

Old 02-19-2017, 04:06 PM

155 posts, read 187,100 times
It's truly a game.

Old 02-19-2017, 10:34 PM

10 posts, read 15,567 times
Also forgot to mention that I was told that MHANY will not be scheduling any more interviews or accepting any documents after Friday, 02/24. They also plan to have the last of the apts rented by the end of April.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery