Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2017, 10:58 PM

207 posts, read 355,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjhjhbb9 View Post
I mean if I will not be considered becasue my current income differs from my application even though there are units fit me, I would rather not prepare for the interview.
Its fine. Even if your income is not what you put in the application, but still is within the income guidelines, Definitely go to the interview !

Old 02-16-2017, 11:44 PM

4 posts, read 4,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygaga1 View Post
Its fine. Even if your income is not what you put in the application, but still is within the income guidelines, Definitely go to the interview !
Oh since they contact me for the intake interview, does it mean all other application with preferrence gone through already?

Old 02-17-2017, 05:41 AM

86 posts, read 104,254 times
I'm writing to hdc n mayor deBlasio about this situation. I get the cb pref gets pref but I honestly don't see how this is fair. If cb pref is 50percent. They should get 50 percent of each band. To take a whole band cause u live in the neighborhood is so unfair.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:04 AM

45 posts, read 59,616 times
I agree, that is so confusing to me. How is it that if one preference group qualifies for an income band and takes up all slots, what about the other preference groups? Why even have preference groups if they don't put to the side a number for them.

Old 02-17-2017, 07:58 AM

74 posts, read 93,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latashaw83 View Post
I'm writing to hdc n mayor deBlasio about this situation. I get the cb pref gets pref but I honestly don't see how this is fair. If cb pref is 50percent. They should get 50 percent of each band. To take a whole band cause u live in the neighborhood is so unfair.
Do it. What I really want to see too is a breakdown from HDC of which log #s with which preferences got which apartments. B/c I really don't trust it's being handled correctly.

Old 02-17-2017, 08:22 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,324 times
Don't the preferences include the total number of apartments?- 50% of all apartments in the lottery go to people who live in the community, 10% go to mobility impaired, etc. I don't think that it applies just to the income bands.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:23 AM

71 posts, read 118,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhjhjhbb9 View Post
Oh since they contact me for the intake interview, does it mean all other application with preferrence gone through already?
Yes, it seems they are done with preference groups and are now calling non pref groups with log numbers between 1 and 7000. I think if they find 75 qualified applicants between those numbers, they are done. If they don't find the 75 they will probably pull more applications with log numbers greater than 7000 until they fill the apts.

Old 02-17-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latashaw83 View Post
So Latawsha, I'm not in any preference groups but it seems like you are saying there should be no preferences and everything should be based on log numbers no matter where you are living? If that is what you're saying. , then people who are in those apts in Manhattan who are paying $200 rent because they inherited their apartment would be able to win twice and the truly poor people who helped build and evolve those neighborhoods like Harlem and prospect heights and long Island city and Fort Greene would have less of a chance. Then we would be complaining about gentrification. As I said, I'm not in any preference groups so therefore I'm not biased but I do believe in the process...I just wish it weren't manual and they were more efficient.

Old 02-17-2017, 11:07 AM

74 posts, read 93,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hope2bblessed View Post
So Latawsha, I'm not in any preference groups but it seems like you are saying there should be no preferences and everything should be based on log numbers no matter where you are living? If that is what you're saying. , then people who are in those apts in Manhattan who are paying $200 rent because they inherited their apartment would be able to win twice and the truly poor people who helped build and evolve those neighborhoods like Harlem and prospect heights and long Island city and Fort Greene would have less of a chance. Then we would be complaining about gentrification. As I said, I'm not in any preference groups so therefore I'm not biased but I do believe in the process...I just wish it weren't manual and they were more efficient.
That's not at all what she's saying. What she's asking is that, if CB preference counts for 1/2 of the apartments available, then following that logic shouldn't that mean 1/2 of EACH INCOME BAND's apts are set aside? The question here is whether 50% of TOTAL apartments will be for CB pref REGARDLESS of which income band (in which case, some filled faster than others) or whether the 50% CB prefs were distributed equally across all income bands.

Last edited by crwnhtsresident; 02-17-2017 at 11:43 AM..

Old 02-17-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwnhtsresident View Post
That's not at all what she's saying. What she's asking is that, if CB preference counts for 1/2 of the apartments available, then following that logic shouldn't that mean 1/2 of EACH INCOME BAND's apts are set aside? The question here is whether 50% of TOTAL apartments will be for CB pref REGARDLESS of which income band (in which case, some filled faster than others) or whether the 50% CB prefs were distributed equally across all income bands.
I see what the concern is.....no its 50% of the units not income band and the logic that follows is the log number..that's why it's called a lottery. So if the first 5 log numbers for CB pref apps qualify for all apartments in that income band, then yes...they will take the whole band because their log number came first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery