Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2016, 06:39 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,841 times

Advertisements

Thanks, Sammy! Same here for you. Thanks for lighting the fire cracker under my butt (er, that sounds weird hahah). But it's pretty obvious in this entire process you have to be on top of it from step A to step Z. Which is totally understandable.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:48 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,463,567 times
You will get a credit check. It's standard and usually done toward the end -- they ask for a $25 money order. If they end up not checking your credit because it's determined you don't qualify, they return the money order (you can cash it so nothing is lost). I'm not sure what the needed score is. It's not that high, but they're also looking for bankruptcies, a high credit to debt ratio, loans you might have defaulted on, etc. You can pull your report yourself to see what's in it. Not a bad idea.

Old 09-30-2016, 06:50 AM

246 posts, read 485,962 times
for 461 dean street lottery a money order is not required to check your credit. I was told for this lottery no money order is required. but when i did go on the "interview" the young lady that took all my information did say that when they do check your credit they are not looking at the score they are looking to see if you pay your bills on time. If you have any judgements you have not paid off. if you debt is way more then your income.

hope that helps

Old 10-01-2016, 12:14 PM

56 posts, read 93,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
Got my rejection letter in the mailbox this evening. Basically it's three reasons listed on there with an X marked next to it. 1 - you didn't fit within the income range, 2 - there are no available units left that fit your income and 3- "other" mine said I failed to show up for the interview. (I wasn't a no show, I did cancel well in advance). It says you can appeal and have ten days from the date of the letter (arg, the date of the letter is Sept 23rd, so I have what 4 days left?) but you have to do it in writing. I am wondering if an email appeal will be considered in writing? They did respond to me when I asked about the appeal via email. I am going to appeal and tomorrow go to the post office and send it via certified mail. It SHOULD get there within 4 days.

Monday I have to go to Trenton to get my birth certificate in person. There's a chance I have it at home (I will be tearing apart my entire room (yes, room) trying to find it hahaha.

Stressful, but so many of you have been so damn supportive!!! We need to have a citydata meetup after moving in for all of us who get accepted to this place if we do those VIEWS! :-!
I received my rejection letter today (I was away for a week). Letter is dated 9/23/16, but postmarked 9/27/16. That doesn't give me much time to respond. The letter indicates that I failed to show up to my interview, but I did. I submitted everything. Feeling discouraged. I'll be wasting my time on Monday submitting an appeal.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:05 PM

246 posts, read 485,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrklynTransplant View Post
I received my rejection letter today (I was away for a week). Letter is dated 9/23/16, but postmarked 9/27/16. That doesn't give me much time to respond. The letter indicates that I failed to show up to my interview, but I did. I submitted everything. Feeling discouraged. I'll be wasting my time on Monday submitting an appeal.
Damn I am sorry to hear that but I think you should appeal. If you took in all your information on your requested date that means they are dropping the ball. You have to stay on top of them

Old 10-01-2016, 05:18 PM

Definitely appeal!!! It's their mistake. You'll prevail.

Old 10-01-2016, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moving415 View Post
Definitely appeal!!! It's their mistake. You'll prevail.
Yes. Thanks. I plan to appeal. It actually says: "failure to schedule an interview appointment following two outreach attempts".
Annoyed I have to appeal their mistake. Hope that doesn't mean they are skipping my application. I wonder if they misplaced everything and I have to resubmit. I'll deal with it on Monday. I have the initialed checklist they provided at the "interview". Instructions for the appeal are not very clear.
Let me know if this happened to anyone else.
Thanks.

Old 10-02-2016, 08:33 AM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,841 times
omg, mine said failure to schedule an interview after that they made two outreach attempts too!!! That wasn't true, it was only one. And I did make an appointment, but I cancelled well in advance. But I did appeal, via email actually, and got a response back asking me when i'd like to come in for the appeal interview, but I haven't heard back yet. It was late friday afternoon when I heard back from them. Definitely appeal, sounds like a major human error.

Old 10-02-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrklynTransplant View Post
Yes. Thanks. I plan to appeal. It actually says: "failure to schedule an interview appointment following two outreach attempts".
Annoyed I have to appeal their mistake. Hope that doesn't mean they are skipping my application. I wonder if they misplaced everything and I have to resubmit. I'll deal with it on Monday. I have the initialed checklist they provided at the "interview". Instructions for the appeal are not very clear.
Let me know if this happened to anyone else.
Thanks.
It could be something as simple as someone putting the wrong response into an envelope. If you've ever been in one of these offices, for any development, there's always someone quickly stuffing envelopes, usually while answering the phone and dealing with arriving applicants -- as far as the appeal goes, just write a letter stating that you had an appointment on (name the date), and that you submitted (list the documents that you gave them). Say there must be some mistake. Be as clear and succinct as possible -- include details (the date you were there, the documents you gave them), but be concise. Be prepared to resubmit the documents. Again, stay courteous and gracious, while making it clear that they've made a mistake. Showing disrespect to the marketing agents can be one of a number of reasons for rejection.

Last edited by Moving415; 10-02-2016 at 09:30 AM..

Old 10-02-2016, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
omg, mine said failure to schedule an interview after that they made two outreach attempts too!!! That wasn't true, it was only one. And I did make an appointment, but I cancelled well in advance. But I did appeal, via email actually, and got a response back asking me when i'd like to come in for the appeal interview, but I haven't heard back yet. It was late friday afternoon when I heard back from them. Definitely appeal, sounds like a major human error.
Did you send a letter by mail too?
I know it's just an error. It has my log # on it too. It's just disappointing my application isn't moving forward. I'll probably have to resubmit everything again. Take another day off (I just went on vacation). Stress about all this when I already had it done. I'll do what I need to do, nicely.
Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery