Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2016, 05:59 PM

3,699 posts, read 3,857,841 times

Advertisements

I haven't updated you guys in a while.. I wound up getting called for an interview last Monday for an appointment on Wednesday. I have CB preference and also a hearing disability preference (which I was not sure even counted to be honest with you, since I am just deaf on one side and wear a hearing aid). My log # was in the 16,###.

After reading through this thread it seems like they do not allow pets over 30 pounds. I have a 60 pound dog. The love of my life. I also could not locate my birth certificate in time for the interview. I had EVERYTHING else. It sucks too because I just HAD my birth certificate a few years ago to renew my non-drivers ID with NY motor vehicles..

Anyway.. I thought about it and decided I couldn't put my dog in a situation of living in a studio. We currently live in a place where I have a roommate and his boyfriend, and I <3 them and they have a dog too and my dog and their dog are BFF's, totally inseperable. I crunched the numbers and I would need to get a dog walker every day and paying for a single dog to get walked every day while I am at work would have cancelled out the rent difference.

THEN the renderings of the building came out on the website they just posted week. And I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. GRRRRRRRRRRR x 5000

Learning experience. I am going to order my birth certificate just to have it for any future affordable housing lotteries, but looks like i am out of this one. Best of luck to you all, the place looks great! I'm jealous. I see the top of that building every time I walk around my neighborhood and I feel like the biggest idiot not going to the interview, but at the same my loyalty is to my dog's best interest. A number of people have called me a fool when I told them all this. I won't give up my dog though.

If anyone is going through this lottery and gets far, can you confirm with me the 30 pound dog rule? I just want to 100 % be sure that is true so I can put my mind at ease. I feel like if that's not the case I will be kicking myself from now to kingdom come! But again, I don't know if I want my dog living that high up in the air all lonely and stuff. (i'm telling myself this to not feel so stupid).

Also, why do the common apps no fix themselves? I've changed my app numerous times to remove the hearing disabilty preference, and it looks like it removes it, but then I apply to new housing lottos.. look at my application and it's still listed as applying with a disability.

BEST OF LUCK ALL OF YOU who have had interviews. Maybe I'll get lucky with the Carleton place one.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,558 times
I interviewed here last week. Though, now I'm a lot nervous reading about other people's experiences. The interview was more of a checklist, and the interviewer seemed tired and generally annoyed with life. I had all of my documents in order, stapled, labeled, etc. The woman pretty much just checked off a sheet, had me sign it, and then sign a document for a credit check. When I asked what the next steps would be, she just mustered a slow sigh. I'm a little bummed because I never expected to be called for an interview! But the interviewer seemed so careless about the whole process that I feel like she could have easily just shoved all my documents into a a random drawer or used my tax returns as a coaster. My log# is in the 8000s, so here's hoping! Good luck to everyone.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:25 PM

They must be burnt out from interviewing so many people. But maybe that's a good thing? Good luck to you, I really want to see the people in this thread who have been posting from the beginning get their sweet digs.

Okay, serious question though... people applying to the studios.. they are triangular. What a weird set up. Also if you are facing the Barclay's center roof, it looks like the set of the Teletubbies lol

Old 09-26-2016, 06:33 PM

246 posts, read 485,962 times
I am some upset with you. You should have went anything could have happened. Hopefully you applied for Carlton lottery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarius37 View Post
I haven't updated you guys in a while.. I wound up getting called for an interview last Monday for an appointment on Wednesday. I have CB preference and also a hearing disability preference (which I was not sure even counted to be honest with you, since I am just deaf on one side and wear a hearing aid). My log # was in the 16,###.

After reading through this thread it seems like they do not allow pets over 30 pounds. I have a 60 pound dog. The love of my life. I also could not locate my birth certificate in time for the interview. I had EVERYTHING else. It sucks too because I just HAD my birth certificate a few years ago to renew my non-drivers ID with NY motor vehicles..

Anyway.. I thought about it and decided I couldn't put my dog in a situation of living in a studio. We currently live in a place where I have a roommate and his boyfriend, and I <3 them and they have a dog too and my dog and their dog are BFF's, totally inseperable. I crunched the numbers and I would need to get a dog walker every day and paying for a single dog to get walked every day while I am at work would have cancelled out the rent difference.

THEN the renderings of the building came out on the website they just posted week. And I was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. GRRRRRRRRRRR x 5000

Learning experience. I am going to order my birth certificate just to have it for any future affordable housing lotteries, but looks like i am out of this one. Best of luck to you all, the place looks great! I'm jealous. I see the top of that building every time I walk around my neighborhood and I feel like the biggest idiot not going to the interview, but at the same my loyalty is to my dog's best interest. A number of people have called me a fool when I told them all this. I won't give up my dog though.

If anyone is going through this lottery and gets far, can you confirm with me the 30 pound dog rule? I just want to 100 % be sure that is true so I can put my mind at ease. I feel like if that's not the case I will be kicking myself from now to kingdom come! But again, I don't know if I want my dog living that high up in the air all lonely and stuff. (i'm telling myself this to not feel so stupid).

Also, why do the common apps no fix themselves? I've changed my app numerous times to remove the hearing disabilty preference, and it looks like it removes it, but then I apply to new housing lottos.. look at my application and it's still listed as applying with a disability.

BEST OF LUCK ALL OF YOU who have had interviews. Maybe I'll get lucky with the Carleton place one.

Old 09-26-2016, 06:46 PM

THANKS FOR RUBBING IT IN, SAMMY! lol

I know, i know :/ I did apply for the Carelton Lottery, but it's the same management company called Mhany. I hope I am not blacklisted from the developments. If anything, I gave up a spot for someone else who needed it just as much? Karma. I hope!

Old 09-26-2016, 08:24 PM

132 posts, read 253,183 times
OK Aquarius, here's my 2 cents for what it's worth. I think you did the right thing. You strike me as a thoughtful, intelligent person who looked at the situation from all sides. Had this been a one bedroom at stake, I would have said "go to the interview" and then ask about dog weight limits. But as you said, you crunched the numbers and it would have cost you the difference in rent to have your dog taken care of. These apts . aren't large esp. the studios. As you can see from the drawings, they don't even have real kitchens. Your dog would have been alone all day. And what's more, you probably would have gotten rejected for not having one of the items they requested (your birth certificate). The others thing is you have a highish log # so even if you had qualified and your doggie got the green light, they probably would have run out of apts. and wait listed you. This is speculation of course and nobody really knows how it might have turned out. I say "don't kick yourself". Get your birth certificate, keep applying to other lotteries and move on. Things always happen the way the way they were meant to. I'm sure you know that. And yeah, the dog comes first. Absolutely.

Old 09-26-2016, 08:35 PM

296 posts, read 481,687 times
Thumbs up lyla45

Quote:

In reality, if you are disabled/any disability, you should keep your pet even though at no pets buildings, but you need to give the management your doctor's letter, stating that you need this pet as service animal for your emotional and overall health:NY LAW.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:44 AM

91 posts, read 136,710 times
Aquarius37,

I'm saying all this with all the care, kindness and respect possible, so please know I am coming from a good place, even if I wind up scolding you a bit. lol.

Order your birth certificate online right this second! It's affordable, quick and easy and i got mine in the mail within a week from ordering it years ago. No need to be without that or continue searching. Without it, I don't think they would have accepted your paperwork, so in that regard, I understand not going.

But other than that, I want you to continue to move forward in confidence and to take a shot at these opportunities from now on because they aren't plentiful or easy for you to pass up like you did.

A few things from your post stand out to me that I want to address for you and anyone else going through this process.

There were huge assumptions you made that weren't good:

1. WHO TOLD YOU YOU WOULD ONLY BE OFFERED A STUDIO?
Just because you're a single person, it does not mean you would only be offered a studio. My cousin was a single woman and received a lovely one bedroom at 66 Rockwell. The 1 bedrooms show you as being one or 2 people. There will absolutely be single individuals who land a 1 bedroom in this building.

2. WHO SAID THEY'D WEIGH YOUR DOG TO KNOW HOW HEAVY IT IS?
There isn't a single a building management company that has a dog scale for their pet friendly apartments. Is your dog a colossal size, or is he average and just hefty? How can they make that assessment? I have a dog and he weighs 9lbs. But I am not sure what one would assume he weighs, since his fur can make him look bigger than he is. No one is putting your beloved baby on a scale and claiming you ineligible for the building.

3.WHY DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE A DOG WALKER??
What do you do differently with your dog now that they don't need to be walked while you're at work? Is it the distance to and from your job? My pup is now fine with getting a walk before 8:00am and another walk by 5:30pm. then he gets a potty break at 8 and a final walk right before bedtime. His body adjusted to my schedule very quickly. But there are very affordable DOG WALKERS. In my spare time I walk other dogs as a dog walker for Wag walking app. It's very very affordable and they have even further affordable options called "potty breaks". It shouldn't cost you more than 50$ a week if you did it daily and honestly, in a dog friendly building, you could likely rally with neighbors to be of assistance to each other for free. Don't think yourself out of a place to live due to your dog. They need you to be comfortable for them to be comfortable.

4. THERE WAS NO OFFICIAL LEASE GIVEN TO ANY OF US TO CONFIRM DOG WEIGHT
This is all hearsay and approximation based on what the intake assistants told us.
People heard different numbers/variances in regards to weight. So you go through the process and then negotiate or sort things out. You never cancel yourself out of a situation due to your pup's weight. He's not a Mastiff right? lol.

Get your ducks in a row for the Carlton apartments. The management is the same, the building owners are the same and the pet policy will be the same too. Don't cancel yourself out again doll.

Have faith and move forward. You have to have faith to believe you will win a lottery to begin with.
Hopefully we will hear you landed Carlton a year from now.

Be encouraged!

Quote:

Old 09-27-2016, 10:24 AM

91 posts, read 136,710 times
Next steps is a letter in the mail of approval or rejection.
If rejected, you can appeal.

My interview was exactly 6 weeks ago. I'm hoping I see a letter this week or next week.
Unsure if they will be sending approval letter via email and regular mail like they did for interviews, or if it will come by mail only.

Excited and anxious too!

My log number is in the 700s. We are in good shape I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by readytomovein2 View Post
This does. I just noticed that the building has put up their official website. I had an interview in late august , my log number is 1800. Feeling hopeful but I've been obsessing non stop. What are the next steps?

Old 09-27-2016, 10:34 AM

1,258 posts, read 1,463,567 times
You could probably get the marketing agent to reconsider your application. I think you should go back to them. You can always say no at the end if you you don't like the unit. The previous poster made excellent points, especially about the possibility of working with other dog owners in the building who have pets. Your govt-issued ID should substitute for the birth certificate (I've always used a passport or NY state driver's license, and that's been fine), and if not, you're supposed to be given a week to get any missing documents--that would not have gotten you rejected, maybe delayed, but not rejected. And it doesn't take long at all to get your birth certificate. Since you seem to have misgivings, I would go back to the marketing agent and see this through. Look at it as practice.

Last edited by Moving415; 09-27-2016 at 10:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery