Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2017, 11:55 AM

189 posts, read 287,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormgal View Post
Wow that sucks. And aren't there any other laundry services around the area?

There's one two blocks away on Steinway St its right next to 20-65 Steinway St

I'm not sure if what others exist near by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginaq View Post
Gym will be located in the common area in the cellar in front of the compactor room. Only one laundry room. which is not enough for 86 units. Had to wait an hour to do laundry Saturday morning. I guess you have to time it during off peak hours which, obviously excludes weekends. They should have built two laundry rooms one for the east and one for the west.

Did you find out when they will be finished building/making the gym??

Old 04-19-2017, 12:48 PM

41 posts, read 54,201 times
There is a laundry mat a few blocks away on steinway street

Old 04-19-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plbplb View Post
Did you find out when they will be finished building/making the gym??

nope, really hoping the commercial space ends up being a gym

Old 04-19-2017, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginaq View Post
nope, really hoping the commercial space ends up being a gym
I know me too!!!

Old 04-22-2017, 01:18 PM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
So yesterday, I went on the interview - it was very straightforward - nothing special. The person conducting the interview just asked me to sign credit and tax release information consent forms and verified my identification and income.

Something interesting to note is that although no studios are currently available (I only qualify for the upper income 1 bedrooms, anyway), the interviewer said that studios are slowly starting to open up. Im not sure if it's because they're being constructed or because people are vacating them - I doubt the latter.

Anyways, I *did* find the commute horrendous and to be a nightmare, to be honest. By that alone, I may turn it down - assuming I'm actually offered a lease, although I was looking at Google Maps, and see that the M60 (LaGuardia airport bus) runs straight into Manhattan - albeit a 20 minute ride, which is actually not that bad. The M60 bus runs right behind the building, so that may be a thought. Has anyone here taken that bus into Manhattan? What is your experience? I've only taken it from the airport after traveling, but never for my normal commuting route.

Old 04-22-2017, 04:35 PM

162 posts, read 248,785 times
the M60 is on Steinway and Astoria Blvd which is a few blocks from the bldg. You can take the M101 which is right on the corner to the M60. I take the M60 every weekend to visit my aunt. It's not a bad ride at all.

Last edited by DiddleBee; 04-22-2017 at 05:02 PM..

Old 04-23-2017, 06:13 AM

61 posts, read 94,668 times
I thought I would get use to the loud traffic noise at night but it's really horrible. We hear tractor trailer
trucks, trash trucks all thru the night. We actually have to sleep with earplugs and leave the fan running all the night so it can deaden the sound. This means that we can't leave the windows open during the night.

My suggestion is avoid the Steinway side and stick to the courtyard or 38th street. We love our place but the noise is a little to much.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:44 AM

6,681 posts, read 6,022,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbasurero View Post
I thought I would get use to the loud traffic noise at night but it's really horrible. We hear tractor trailer
trucks, trash trucks all thru the night. We actually have to sleep with earplugs and leave the fan running all the night so it can deaden the sound. This means that we can't leave the windows open during the night.

My suggestion is avoid the Steinway side and stick to the courtyard or 38th street. We love our place but the noise is a little to much.
Noise at night is definitely a deal breaker.

Old 04-24-2017, 10:00 AM

I am on the Steinway side as well, noise isn't so bad on weekdays, but on weekends with the garage being open to the public it's terrible. There is a lounge up the block and Saturday nights are pretty loud with all the parking and drunks from the lounge- i literally thought someone was dying but it ended up being a drunk girl just being dramatic, heard a female screaming around 3am for help, it was frightening but come to find out she was just drunk. This garage situation is going to be interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery