Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2023, 09:45 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky16 View Post
Hi! I still live here.

For me electricity is cheap, about $40/month. But I believe affordable apartments get a cap on how high our bill can be. I think it was $55 or so. Also, we pay electricity directly to Copper as opposed to having our own personal con ed accounts.

For amenities - the gym, the indoor pool, sauna, sky lounge, and children's playroom - are free for affordable residents. Access to the roof was free with some additional fees when I first moved, but Copper has since turned into an exclusive club that's only open in the summertime and you have to pay like $3,000 for access (you can look up the sentry club at copper buildings). So yeah...that's a no-go.

Transportation is worse on paper than in reality IMO. You get used to it. The M15 and M15-sbs on 1st ave runs pretty well and the M34/34A are fast, though they can be crowded when the NYU hospital shift changes. The 6 train is about a 12 minute uphill walk on 33rd and park, but you can hop on the M34 and transfer to slice that time in half. Also, the NYC ferry is across the street and usually runs really well. Plenty of things in the area - trader joes, target, movie theater, a ton of bars/resturants on 3rd ave, starbucks, cvs, walgreens, and of course not far from herald square.

Outside of that, the building itself is well maintained. The front desk staff is awesome, seriously some of the nicest people ever. People in general here are friendly. Only drawback I have is that the walls are thin and the apartments are small.

Hope this helps!
IIRC there were issues causing some friction with that open to everyone roof lounge, so Copper made changes to tighten things up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2023, 09:54 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky16 View Post
Hi! I still live here.

For me electricity is cheap, about $40/month. But I believe affordable apartments get a cap on how high our bill can be. I think it was $55 or so. Also, we pay electricity directly to Copper as opposed to having our own personal con ed accounts.

For amenities - the gym, the indoor pool, sauna, sky lounge, and children's playroom - are free for affordable residents. Access to the roof was free with some additional fees when I first moved, but Copper has since turned into an exclusive club that's only open in the summertime and you have to pay like $3,000 for access (you can look up the sentry club at copper buildings). So yeah...that's a no-go.

Transportation is worse on paper than in reality IMO. You get used to it. The M15 and M15-sbs on 1st ave runs pretty well and the M34/34A are fast, though they can be crowded when the NYU hospital shift changes. The 6 train is about a 12 minute uphill walk on 33rd and park, but you can hop on the M34 and transfer to slice that time in half. Also, the NYC ferry is across the street and usually runs really well. Plenty of things in the area - trader joes, target, movie theater, a ton of bars/resturants on 3rd ave, starbucks, cvs, walgreens, and of course not far from herald square.

Outside of that, the building itself is well maintained. The front desk staff is awesome, seriously some of the nicest people ever. People in general here are friendly. Only drawback I have is that the walls are thin and the apartments are small.

Hope this helps!
Where tenants pay building for electric city leans on landlord to provide some sort of discount for "affordable" or "low income" tenants. OTOH where tenants pay utilities directly city will again apply some muscle to have LL discount rents a certain amount for same two groups of tenants. Overall working theory is to assist in making (or keeping) units "affordable" overall.

Master metering has been around for large buildings for years. Some people love it, others not so much.

In past landlords were loathe to give meter readers access to buildings and or devote what could be a not small amount of space for all those meters. A small 5-6 story building with say 35 units is one thing, but with huge multi-family where you have easily one hundred or more units, that's a lot of meters.

One master meter can work out to be energy efficient as Con Ed gives landlord discounted rate. Some tenants don't like master metering because they feel are paying more for electric than they otherwise would (carrying other households in building).

With ConEd and everyone else phasing out old meters for new smaller smart versions in theory going with individual meters per apartment may not be such a bother. As with water the new electric meters transmit readings electronically thus normally don't require in person reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City > New York City Housing Lottery