Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:30 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,306,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
"Since the 80's Boston's been upscaled in many ways as well, so I'd expect the salaries in many fields to be higher than in Jacksonville. I know these comparisons are very imperfect, but the average household income in the City of Boston is essentially the same as in NYC (5 boros). "

I guess I wasnt clear, the salaries were higher in Boston than Jax, but higher in NYC than Boston, based on my recollection.

I dont think a household income comparison is really useful due to differing demographics. I really think you need to take it field by field, even experience level by experience level.
Agreed about the demographics; that's what I was getting at with my reference to "imperfect."

Got it about Jacksonville, I think I wasn't clear. I meant that Boston had closed a salary gap within NYC to some extent since the 80's. For many jobs, it's even or close whereas Jax salaries are well below.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 03:30 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,564,078 times
" But you can have good schools in Milton, Newton, Belmont, Arlington, Lexington, Winchester, Melrose, Swampscott, Wellesley, Weston, Lincoln, Needham and still be closer to downtown Boston than Ditmas Park is to midtown."

OP seemed to indicate a desire to be carfree. Only place on your list that would really be possible with a middle class lifestyle would be Newtown, I think, and thats not so cheap either, IIUC, at least not for a big old victorian.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holden125 View Post
I meant that Boston had closed a salary gap within NYC to some extent since the 80's. For many jobs, it's even or close
interesting if true, but count me skeptical

Old 08-04-2010, 03:33 PM

9,247 posts, read 24,080,233 times
Quote:
btw, if i was an engineer working in NJ, and wanted a city lifestyle, I would be looking in hoboken/jersey city etc ..... growing up lots of middle class people lived in coop or condo apts, thats not unusual in NYC
Exactly.Hoboken and Jersey City are quite nice and similar in a lot of ways to what the Op is used to.
And who wants/needs a house anyway if you aren't having kids ?

Old 08-04-2010, 03:33 PM

53 posts, read 133,342 times
Quote:
btw, if i was an engineer working in NJ, and wanted a city lifestyle, I would be looking in hoboken/jersey city etc and reverse commute from there - it would be cheaper and a shorter commute than Manhattan, and a much shorter commute than brooklyn. Dont know how much a town house would cost to buy there though. assuming you have to have a house. growing up lots of middle class people lived in coop or condo apts, thats not unusual in NYC
Okay but if I was living in NJ and I definitely feel like I'd be better off just staying home and visiting. It seems like there are some firms that are well within a 45 minute commute from Northwest Brooklyn. The main problem is someone like me cannot buy real estate there or for that matter much anywhere in the City.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:36 PM

53 posts, read 133,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog2 View Post
Exactly.Hoboken and Jersey City are quite nice and similar in a lot of ways to what the Op is used to.
And who wants/needs a house anyway if you aren't having kids ?
Just to clarify I'm not looking for a house I'm talk about a Condo even those aren't affordable anywhere I'd want to live.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:38 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,378,760 times
I am correcting my comment...I thought it was price..not salary.

Starfox based on a $150,000-$200,000 salary, you should have no problem living a middle class lifestyle, including Carrol Gardens...hop on a 1 bedroom and live it up!

Last edited by SobroGuy; 08-04-2010 at 03:51 PM..

Old 08-04-2010, 03:43 PM

1. I am not sure what you mean by staying home and visiting. Hoboken has a "scene" also IIUC, Im not sure the lifestyle would be that different from Carroll Gardens

2. I see why you looked at Bay Ridge and Carroll Gardens, youre looking to be on the BQE for the reverse commute to NJ. I guess I would look at Sunset Park - maybe grittier than you want, but it has brownstones and new condos, cheaper than CG I guess. I would look at Brownstoner: Brooklyn Real Estate and Renovation to keep up with whats available there. Windsor Terrace could be a choice, but longer drive to NJ, I guess.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:44 PM

"where in Boston proper can you find a HOUSE for $150,000-200,000? "

I think he said on a 150-200k salary, not that as a price.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:46 PM

244 posts, read 568,299 times
^^^^

I agree.

Why do people always compare New York City proper to the "metros" of cities like Boston?

Although Boston proper is not as expensive as NY.....it is still expensive. If you're complaining about the costs of Boston --- you likely can't afford NYC either.

If you want the type of cheaper lifestyle you're looking for, but with a more cosmopolitan edge (because let's face it -- Boston is neither interesting, glamorous or cosmopolitan), why not a satellite city to NYC like White Plains...or Hoboken?

You don't have to live within the city limits to have easy access to the best of NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City