Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 12:34 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times

Advertisements

"technology and biomedical sciences. I don't really see those sorts of jobs in NYC,"

There is an extensive medical sector in NYC. Biotech is more likely to be found in NJ.

" not to mention the big industry jobs in NYC produce no actual common good for the rest of the country. Finance industry? Robbing regular people to get rich. "

While there have been abuses, and there needs to be regulation, the financial sector is necessary for the growth of industry. You will note that Boston has several major financial institutions, money market funds, and even a small stock market, and most of the firms in Boston are pleased that Wall Street exists.

You sound like a very naive young man. You should learn more before attacking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2010, 12:36 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,338,414 times
What's the purpose of this thread, live in Boston, who cares.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:37 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times
notice how on the Boston side of the ledger EVERY job in the metro area is counted, but on the NYC side only jobs in the city limits. How many high tech jobs are there REALLY in BOSTON. Not that many actually, they are mostly in the suburbs or in Cambridge, right? Boston itself is pretty dominated by the financial sector, IIRC.

But if you include SUBURBS, NYC is much more diverse. Pharma, chemicals, biotech, just to start off.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:39 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
I would not waste my time any further with the Boston boy..they tend to cry when they don't have their bottle. It happens every so often in the NYC forum.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:43 PM

53 posts, read 133,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
notice how on the Boston side of the ledger EVERY job in the metro area is counted, but on the NYC side only jobs in the city limits. How many high tech jobs are there REALLY in BOSTON. Not that many actually, they are mostly in the suburbs or in Cambridge, right? Boston itself is pretty dominated by the financial sector, IIRC.

But if you include SUBURBS, NYC is much more diverse. Pharma, chemicals, biotech, just to start off.
True but Boston and NYC are set up very different Geo-Politically. If Boston were set up like NYC, Cambridge would certainly be considered part of the Boston along with a slew of other smaller cities that are much more Urban than many areas of Boston Proper.

I'm not trying to say that Boston is better than NYC, I'm just saying normal people can't live in NYC anymore. I know in terms of culture and a million other things there is no comparison but it is no longer viable for people to live i NYC unless they have government assistance or are rich. Why dream of living in NYC and end up in a shack with 2 roommates in Sunnyside when you could live much better at the same job almost anywhere in America?

Old 08-04-2010, 12:45 PM

177 posts, read 530,675 times
Why does everyone try to compare Boston to NYC? They're NOTHING alike! Boston is minuscule. If you're going to compare NYC to another city in the area, compare it to Philly. At least Philly is closer in size.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:48 PM

447 posts, read 1,564,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starfox68 View Post
After much research and initially being very "gung-ho" about the idea I've decided NYC isn't for me. I live close enough by(Boston) to have been to the City a lot and more or less know what is about. so for all you Mid-Westerns wanting to come to NYC don't! Here's why:

1. Unless you are rich and I mean like lawyer/doctor/stock brocker or better you aren't going to have the quality of life you could expect in nearly any other major US city, including my hometown.

2. NYC is a city for the super rich and for new immigrates who want to live around similar. If you are a working or middle-class third,fourth, whatever generation American you don't really have a place you could fit in besides fringe areas of Brooklyn and Queens.

3. What is the draw of living in NYC that you can't get elsewhere? for most kids it seems it more about being able to show off there address be it: the Village, Park Slope, UES, Williamsburg, where-ever back home. Sure there is great entertainment and museums but do most normal people really go to the museum so much that living close by the best is a necessity? You can get a very similar urban lifestyle with a much better overall quality of life in other cities, notably SF and Boston.

4. There are few upper-middle class jobs in NYC outside of the few core industries like finance and creative professions. Besides that most jobs seem to be low-pay service sector positions to feed the rich's greedy desires for quirky shops and boutiques.

5.Outside of Manhattan and Brownstone Brooklyn NYC and especially the vast sprawl of Queens and Southern Brooklyn, have some of the ugliest architecture I have ever seen

6. NYC is pretty dirty compared to Boston. Not sure how it compares to other major cities in that regard.

This stuff is basically a distillation of my person experience along with what I've learned from researching it. I tried to find a neighborhood where I thought I could fit in the city but it doesn't seem to exist. Normal people don't belong in NYC anymore its all about the rich and there throngs of servants. Even a city that is claimed to just as if not more expensive as NYC as SF still has room for normal people. It really seems like this is a dark time for your City but in a much different way than in the 70s and 80s.

I think I'll be more than happy to visit the Urban Disneyland a few times a year and stay up here in a city, while not perfect, still has room for middle class people.

It's a shame because there are few other true urban cities left in this country and those of us who like the idea of walking lots of places and not having to own a car are nearly running out of luck. So much for being green when you can't even live in the country without having to own an expensive and wasteful car.
That seems to be your opinion. South Brooklyn does not sprawl at all and the same is true for most of Queens.
The architecture part is mostly true. South Brooklyn and many parts of Queens are hideous.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SobroGuy View Post
I would not waste my time any further with the Boston boy..they tend to cry when they don't have their bottle. It happens every so often in the NYC forum.
I think this thread as lost its way mostly I am disappointed that the middle-class has no place in NYC. Even someone trending toward upper middle, like myself, can't own a home in any even semi-desirable area. Some these far out gritty areas you people go to just go to just to have an NYC address are ridiculous I wouldn't want to live in most of Queens for the same reason I wouldn't want to live in Chelsea, Everett, Lynn, etc around here.

Don't get me to wrong, I WANT TO LIVE IN NYC, but I'm disappointed that the middle class is classed out of the city by both the poor and the rich.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:50 PM

8,743 posts, read 18,380,404 times
Starfox, your assessment that NYC is only for the rich and poor is just wrong. Just cuz people keep repeating this mantra doesn't make it true...by the way they have been saying this same thing for decades. There are plenty of middle class people and neighborhoods in NYC, and if you would only educate yourself you could avoid showing your ignorance on this thread.

Old 08-04-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drayb3 View Post
Why does everyone try to compare Boston to NYC? They're NOTHING alike! Boston is minuscule. If you're going to compare NYC to another city in the area, compare it to Philly. At least Philly is closer in size.
I hate to get back to this but that isn't true. Boston is the 5th largest metro area in the nation.

Table of United States Combined Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The only thing is Boston didn't consolidate it's surrounding cities like most other places did so the actually City of Boston is deceivingly small.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City