Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 06:10 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by certaincircles View Post
1Nevets,

Thank you for your response. I like you! You're Cool!!! You're Honest like me. I don't want to seem to be bothering you again, But pardon my ignorance:

1) What is a "POV"?

2) "People from Queens are Long Islanders in the making."

How are "Long Islanders" (I don't know what this means!)? I have a Friend in Long Island (not the 1 I mentioned from Great Neck - He lives in "Iowa" now. GO FIGURE!), he's Always there for me whenever I need someone to Vent on, BUT He's Weird!! Meaning, he's Cool Weird!! He lives in the Mineola area.

I Love (wish they had a "Heart" Icon here maybe this instead - God Forbid!) how you said "I guess it's in our DNA from being born on this Island". LOL!!!
( THANK GOD - It's Not a "CALIFORNIAN" One!!)

LASTLY,
3)"if you slight someone in the least it just sets the person off" What does it mean?

Just Remember. I'M JUST CURIOUS!!!

POV= Point of view

sets them off= Gets them upset and will retaliate with a negative attitude.

Long Islanders for whatever reason think of themselves as the center of the world, riches area of the world or at least in the New York metro (although per capita Westchester is wealthier) area. Long Islanders tend to be snobbier than the other suburbs and it's not because they are wealthier it's because they are more provencial. Unlike other NY suburbs where a large percentage of the resident depend and frequent the city quite often. Most Long Islanders work, live and play on the Island and it's not unusual, especially in Suffolk County to hear a resident say they haven't been in the city in years. Many haven't even step foot in the "new Times Square." I myself have only recently visited Carroll Gardens, Boerum Hill the neighborhoods of my youth. Barely recognized Smith st., haven't been there since the early 90's and it has CHANGED.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 06:47 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,816 times
[quote=certaincircles;15849785]1NEVETS

OH GOD, I forgot! Pleasssseeee don't kill me!
VERY LAST QUESTIONS!
"Sometimes if you speak to them long enough you can pinpoint their part of Queens or Long Island. Just from the attitude."
1) What does this mean?
This was more of a joke because that poster was giving you what I felt was a typical negative attitude.

2) How would I do it Without Pssssing someone off?
Some people are just unfriendly and afraid of the world. I was with 2 friends one white and one black. We were waiting for the train at Ronkokoma. My black friend made the mistake of smiling and attempting to say "good day" to a woman who walked by us. As soon as their eyes met the woman clutched her purse and rushed as far as she could away from us. Another man gave us all a look as if we assaulted the woman. You just never know when you're going to **** off someone.

3) How would I adjust to the attitude?
Live and learn.

***Ok, maybe living here for yrs. in NY I'm not really good @ the "Defense Mechanisms". It's kinda like learning to become better @ playing an instrument. (I'm a Musician. It took me YEARS to MASTER Playing the Piano!) I'm not good @ it @ 1st, but then the more I "practice" the more I become good @ it.)

Old 09-11-2010, 06:58 PM

200 posts, read 324,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
Wow lol. I think when you tell a person that you are from the bronx, they will view you as trashy I do not know.. When I was younger and went to upstate to my cousin's halloween party. Some teenagers told me to leave from there. This and that, but of course they were teenagers. So I think in some places if you say that you are from the bronx you are looked as if you are trashy.. However don't let them get to you. It also depends on how you carry yourself. Maybe you are not realizing that you are talking in a rudely manner... Who knows... How do you dress? It could be many things. When I used to live in Va Beach. I always would walk tough because I already was used to that. When you are in the South Bronx, one has to walk tough, because if not some people will start problems with you. It also depends on the location that you are in the bronx. But yeah, How you walk maybe it could be a reason why people are like that to you as well.
Thanks! But No I don't Walk Tough. I just use "Toughness" as an Exterior whenever I Need to Use it depending on the diff. areas (I'm Not a Wimp, I'm just Not into that WHOLE TOUGH that I OVERLY Use it even in situations that Don't Call for it - like you've mentioned about VA Beach or Upstate NY). I know what you mean, but w/ some responses like even 1NEVETS I'm learning about other areas of people who hold diff. values (such as Upstate & South Bronx).
Yes, you do have to Adjust & I Do Appreciate (Not the Ones here who were Harsh & Abrasive, but the) people on responding to my Post reminding me to use it here (NYC) too.
MEANING - Just like when I went down to Nashville, TN (Yeah, Nashville is Known for being Country - I'm not just talking about Country Music tho' I'm NOT into Country Music). I was Exploring the Music Scene as a possibility of maybe moving down there MUSICALLY (Not the NY vs. Nashville) since I'm into Songwriting. But, I had to LEARN how the people were/are down there compared to Up Here - "In the North" (Yankee, etc., etc.). BUT you know what? Since I ONLY Use my "NY Defense Mechanisms" here whenever I Need to I learned that I didn't have to use my Tough Exterior that I could use my "Laid Backness" there. It's ok to talk openly (being genuine) to someone there b/c They're Very Conservative. It's more Family Oriented. You know, the typical Mom who's baking cookies, Dad lounging in the Lounge chair watching TV, kids running all over the place (w/ the Dog - if they HAVE ONE!). BUT like they say "you can take me out of NY, but you can't take NY out of me" - meaning, tho' I can really wear my heart on my sleeve I still have to use my "NY Defense Mechanisms" to a certain degree.

So, the point of All this is the way I Learned to Adjust to Nashville I have to Learn to Adjust in diff. areas here too. I'm Very Thankful for those people here (Lady Cage, 1Nevets, Kandle, Bronxguynese, & YOU ) for showing me that People UP HERE TOO hold diff. VALUES w/ Each Other (that is, diff. arease in NYC area).
Thank you for your support & Kindness.

****BTW I have a couple of friends down in Nashville. I comes from Syracuse & the other is a Full Blown Nashvillian. It's funny, I didn't become friends w/ her Right Away b/c of her Childlikeness. She's Not Obnoxious, Immature, etc. she just has a few Health issues (Cerebral Palsy), but when she sang & played Gtr. I wanted to Record Her. She's Very Talented & so, we became friends & by being Friends w/ Her I learned & started to Understand the way the people are & the Values they hold down there. Today, she's a Dear person to me. You Never want to Hurt her. I admire her b/c not only for her Talents, but her strength in "I'll be ok" whenever she goes thru physical pain.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:19 PM

200 posts, read 324,592 times
Kandle,
"I was in Queens yesterday on Ditmars blvd and around 33rd st and I wasn't really feeling the people, I don't what it was but it was a completely different vibe than when I'm in the Bronx or Brooklyn. I live in the city and you're right, most of us are willing to help someone with directions."

AND

"Bronxguy,You can't blame it on that. I live in Manhattan which is full of more transplants than Astoria and I feel the same friendly vibe in Manhattan, Bronx and Brooklyn than I did in Astoria. I was uncomfortable there and I've never felt that way in any of the other neighborhoods in the other boroughs. I'm just commenting on my own experience in Astoria and I am not judging the whole borough of Queens."

Thank you SO MUCH for YOUR KINDNESS!! It's Funny, You Remind Me of 1 of my Good Friends in Nashville, TN. My Friend is Open/Sincere like you & me. Matter of fact, I sent you a Request if you like.

I LOVE BOTH YOU & "BRONXGUYNESE"!! (Don't be too hard on him. LOL! ) for your Support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City