Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 08:03 PM

3,025 posts, read 6,809,438 times

Advertisements

Yea especially if hes coming from the Wash. Heights in the 80s and 90s. That was a dead mans zone back in the day. Stuff still pops off around there but nothing to the likes of back then.

At bkvillian718 you said it yourself about brooklyn... people only talk about what they dont know. my point is, they weren't even saying that before. now you have all this talk about gentrification when in actuality its alot smaller than what people make it seem, and everyone thinks that all of BK is like that now. And everyone is talking big about BK being soft and its honestly just funny to me and I wish they would pass by Malcolm X. Blvd. or any number of streets that are supposedly spoken of as being gentrified and see what they think...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2011, 08:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Yea especially if hes coming from the Wash. Heights in the 80s and 90s. That was a dead mans zone back in the day. Stuff still pops off around there but nothing to the likes of back then.

At bkvillian718 you said it yourself about brooklyn... people only talk about what they dont know. my point is, they weren't even saying that before. now you have all this talk about gentrification when in actuality its alot smaller than what people make it seem, and everyone thinks that all of BK is like that now. And everyone is talking big about BK being soft and its honestly just funny to me and I wish they would pass by Malcolm X. Blvd. or any number of streets that are supposedly spoken of as being gentrified and see what they think...
I remember taking the bus to the city with him (the guy from Washington Heights) and he said he loved the smell of dirty city because it was the smell of home. Another friend of mine had an apartment for a few years in Washington Heights around St. Nicholas Ave and 191st. Stayed over once and I remember hearing a people screaming at each other out on the street at 3 am.

Brooklyn is huge. If even 1/3 of it is a "good" neighborhood that's a lot of people. It's easy for outsider to only visit these neighborhoods and assume that's all of Brooklyn. I'm not from Brooklyn, but visited a number of times. For a while all I had seen were the gentrified (or at least "non-hood" parts) and had no clue about any other parts. Until a couple of my high school friends moved to Bed-Stuy.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:09 PM

383 posts, read 1,316,135 times
You must have been on either the southwest side or southeast side of Brooklyn. Cuz most of Brooklyn is still hood, or has a very old hood look to it. If you want to see crime or just really grimy area you'll find them Northwest BK,North Side BK, Northeast BK, and Central Bk. This very much out ways the new "gentrified" areas. And honestly you don't understand how much of a lie this "gentrified" thing is. Over in East Flatbush they built a target and a foot locker over on flatbush ave and 35th street. And people will consider that "gentrified". And the target there is always getting robbed. There has been a alot of talk that it is going to be closed down, and the poor foot locker store closes at like 7. All i'm trying to say is don't believe you read. You need to come over here yourself and see how we live. If you ask me the only things i've been seeing in Brooklyn that has actually has been "gentrified" is Downtown Brooklyn, Brooklyn Heights, some parts of red hook, and north side of Williamsburg. Most of Brooklyn has seen some BS "gentrification". If you consider trying to add some new hip stores like starbucks, target, davids bridal, foot locker, and New CVS's "gentrification". Then you are truely dumd. Funny thing is most of these stores are failing.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:53 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkvillian718 View Post
You must have been on either the southwest side or southeast side of Brooklyn. Cuz most of Brooklyn is still hood, or has a very old hood look to it. If you want to see crime or just really grimy area you'll find them Northwest BK,North Side BK, Northeast BK, and Central Bk. This very much out ways the new "gentrified" areas. And honestly you don't understand how much of a lie this "gentrified" thing is. Over in East Flatbush they built a target and a foot locker over on flatbush ave and 35th street. And people will consider that "gentrified". And the target there is always getting robbed. There has been a alot of talk that it is going to be closed down, and the poor foot locker store closes at like 7. All i'm trying to say is don't believe you read. You need to come over here yourself and see how we live. If you ask me the only things i've been seeing in Brooklyn that has actually has been "gentrified" is Downtown Brooklyn, Brooklyn Heights, some parts of red hook, and north side of Williamsburg. Most of Brooklyn has seen some BS "gentrification". If you consider trying to add some new hip stores like starbucks, target, davids bridal, foot locker, and New CVS's "gentrification". Then you are truely dumd. Funny thing is most of these stores are failing.
No, not south Brooklyn. Mostly Greenpoint, Williamsburg (North and Northeast) and Park Slope. All seemed fine. Also Bed-Stuy . Not so good, though I had no problems.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:58 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,770,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overdose View Post
wow...you didnt know that? You never heard someone yell out their hood and stuff? Sometimes when people hear where your from they think twice before causing trouble.
I've heard ghetto people scream out their hood but I've never seen anyone react with caution because they found that person to be more threatning because they lived in that neighborhood. That is usually all in the mind of the person giving out the threat.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:33 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
WASHINGTON HEIGHTS isn't as bad as it was in previous years especially 20 years ago but the ghetto element still exist in the area. But it inst as bad as central/east Harlem.

Old 01-14-2011, 11:39 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,412,690 times
Quote:
ENY and Brownsville are indeed the worse of all of them but really... the ONLY bad parts in Brooklyn? So you'd feel perfectly fine in Crown Heights, Flatbush, the ungentrified parts of Bed-stuy, Bushwick, and the South Williamsburg PJ's that gunshots still ring through there (I know cause I live on a three-way border between Ridgewood/Bushwick and Southside. I'll be honest, I used to live on Pitkin and Jerome so it's not like I didn't see hood on a daily basis but I still would walk the Southside PJ's with caution. To me, one of the ignorant things in the world is when people see white people and assume that a neighborhood is good because white people are there or are moving in now. Why certain people move into these areas is beyond me, personally I think they're crazy but you cannot tell me that Southside is not dangerous anymore cause that means that you obviously haven't been there in awhile and are just going by what people say about the shift in demographics.

What's also hilarious to me is how quickly Brooklyn has lost it's tough image. 5 years ago, you would go to any neighborhood in the country and if you said you're from Brooklyn it was instant respect... Now you say you're from Brooklyn and they automatically think that you live next to a starbucks filled with hipster yuppy people.

I'd love to see those people saying that step into Wilson Ave and Moffat or Central and Madison in Bushwick or step into Church Ave. at 9 pm. or dare to cross Linden Blvd and talk so big and see what would happen to them... It is completely ridiculous to me how in reality only one neighborhood has been gentrified a fair amount which is the Northside of Williamsburg and now because of that everyone feels Brooklyn is soft...

WAKE UP! We are not in a utopia. Brooklyn has at least 10-15 neighborhoods that can compete in violent crime statistics to any hood in the country. The only difference is that it's concentrated and not broken up into different cities like anywhere else so it doesn't get the notoriety.

Also, Brooklyn alone isn't even a city and it has a greater population than probably any other major city in the US outside of NYC... dont you think that high number of people contributes to lowering Brooklyn's overall crime rate? Again we'd have to be dropping over 600 bodies alone in our borough to compare in percentages to others dropping maybe 100 bodies in a city so statistics do not really help you in gauging the danger level in Brooklyn. Granted, there are many locations that bring the crime rate down probably 20-25 areas in Brooklyn that are decent or good... but those 10-15 still have things pop-off at any time of day and to say that there good now because 5 white people move in, is not only ignorant but its insane...
WHAT? are you kidding me??? i know people from dc, Philly, and even Oakland who probably over do Brooklyn's toughness then actual brooklyn people.

The Oakland person i knew thought marcy projects was the worst pjs on the east all because jay z was from their . This was only a year ago and mind you this person has never been to bk.

Also i know a lot of people in pg county/dc(more like a second home to me), and whenever my peeps come up here the first thing that they say when their in crown heights/Brownsville is that "yo we in brooklyn yo we need to watch out its hot out here" " idk how yall live in brooklyn its to crazy out here" LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

But my biggest shock was a few people i knew from jersey who were bragging about brooklyn toughness. Im like jersey out of all people should know their hoods are more tougher or similar to our hoods.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:43 PM

At jordandubriel you'll always have a few people that are gonna recognize especially in the areas you mentioned... I mean Crown Heights and Bronwsville are easily two of the worst areas in Brooklyn...

That being said, go to New Orleans, Miami, Detroit, CT, Mass maybe not all of them but you got alot of people that talk about Brooklyns wack, Brooklyns nothing compared to over here and stuff like that, when that stuff never used to happen... Im not saying that 100% of people feel that way but a growing number of people do and like I said its just comical to me...

Old 01-15-2011, 04:42 PM

Location: Port Richmond, Staten Island, New York City, New York, 10302
317 posts, read 960,962 times
Quote:
That being said, go to New Orleans, Miami, Detroit, CT, Mass maybe not all of them but you got alot of people that talk about Brooklyns wack, Brooklyns nothing compared to over here and stuff like that, when that stuff never used to happen... Im not saying that 100% of people feel that way but a growing number of people do and like I said its just comical to me...

I wouldn't take it personal. I think a lot of people just naturally follow their pride and hype up their area over every other area. Especially when it's a city as hated as New York.

I saw one of them Gangland episodes with Bloods in the Carolinas or Virginia or something and one of the guys was in the camera like "We bang harder than everyone! N***as in Compton don't want it with us! N***as in the Bronx don't want it with us!" or whatever. That's the mentality for a lot of people, especially hood types. No matter what they really believe, admitting another area is tougher than their's is like admitting that the natives of that region are tougher than them and their friends. It's safer to just say "Brooklyn?? Pfff!! I heard Bed-Stuy is 8% white these days..." People from elsewhere do it with the entire city. That's the gift and the curse of being NYC - everybody loves you but everybody also hates you. Other than Bloomberg, nobody likes to see "NYC - Safest big city in the country" headlines more than ignorant kids from Chicago and LA who live to hype their cities up and are tired of all these rappers and basketball players from NYC being on top. Because as you said, to a lot of people, crime = struggle = respect. They want reasons to convince themselves that NYC ain't all that cool and the drop in crime is a big one that gets used. As backwards and sick as that is to most logically thinking people. lol

Old 01-15-2011, 06:05 PM

Wow... couldn't have said it any better... Nice post bro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City