Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:18 AM

148 posts, read 271,575 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!
I was just thinking to myself whilst having a look through the forum.Does it annoy you as to how NYC is percieved by tourists,out of towners ect because of T.V and or reputation?
I am from the U.K and have to say when I visited it was everything I expected and more from what I had researched and also ofcourse T.V.

But I know some people who really do believe it is how they see it on Law&order,CSI ect..do you feel the need to always defend this fantastic city because of these perceptions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 08:52 AM

1,583 posts, read 3,679,405 times
The "fabulous" way New York is depicted on TV can be true, but only for an insignificant fraction of its residents.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:56 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,258,948 times
No I'm not annoyed by tourists or out of townwers. I just hope people would have more insight to this city than "the greatest city in the world". The thrut is this is city is one of the most segregated in the country. Just my opinion...

Old 03-05-2011, 09:10 AM

I ofcourse can be biased,as I dont live in NYC I dont have to face the daily issues that you as residents do.By that I mean cost of living,very high rents ect. I see the city through the eyes of a visitor which is obviously so different I mean before my first visit people would tell me how rude people in the city where,how dirty the city is ect. I can honestly say this was never an issue for us during our stay.
Peoples perceptions of NY can and does give it a bad name at times,which I do feel is unjustified!

Its a city with a vast population,what more do people expect?Also it is too easily overlooked that NY is one of the safer cities.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:20 AM

5,452 posts, read 11,258,948 times
In my opinon NYC is still a danggerous city. But not as dangerous as during the crack epidemic when i was growin up. Thre are more dangerous cities nowdays than NYC, visit Baltimore the whole city is corrupt from the leadership to the police department.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitlock View Post
In my opinon NYC is still a danggerous city. But not as dangerous as during the crack epidemic when i was growin up. Thre are more dangerous cities nowdays than NYC, visit Baltimore the whole city is corrupt from the leadership to the police department.
See now I have been told this before by NY'ers that they still class their city as very safe.
Maybe we as tourists are told how safe it is just to keep us spending! Its only when you speak to other people that you get their perspective.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:37 AM

3,727 posts, read 7,040,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycvix View Post
See now I have been told this before by NY'ers that they still class their city as very safe.
Maybe we as tourists are told how safe it is just to keep us spending! Its only when you speak to other people that you get their perspective.
I feel the city is pretty safe as long as you use proper precautions; be aware of your surroundings, don't flash cash, etc. I've never had a problem living here.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:36 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,630,117 times
On the one hand, as a native New Yorker I have to say that sometimes the way my hometown is perceived or portrayed does annoy me. But on the other, also as a native New Yorker, I know the operative phrases: fuhgeddaboudit, and geddoudahere!

Old 03-06-2011, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred314x View Post
on the one hand, as a native new yorker i have to say that sometimes the way my hometown is perceived or portrayed does annoy me. But on the other, also as a native new yorker, i know the operative phrases: fuhgeddaboudit, and geddoudahere!
:d

Old 03-06-2011, 09:55 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,423,473 times
I have had visitors on more than one occasion friends of relatives/friends who have never been to NY. It's actually quite amusing to see their enthusiasm at anything that is NY, as they are pure tourists. If it's influenced by a particular show or movie, then it's also fun to show them the reality, but I don't think that portrayal in fiction is anything about which to get upset. And, it's especially fun when the tourist spots are dispensed with as not being real, so that they can be shown some of the real New York.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
View detailed profiles of: