Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 11:14 PM

157 posts, read 395,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
This is old news, nyc is one of the most segregated cities in america. Whats so funny is when nyc went against segregation of the south with its jim crow madness, nyc was keeping segregation alive up north. Talk about double standards.
Actually, we really are not segregated at all compared to Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, or Philadelphia. The fact that we are so large and have majority black populations in neighborhoods and majority white populations in neighborhoods is no different than any other city in America, except for the fact that NYC is the largest city in America, so the statistics come out as NYC being the most segregated because "this many black ppl live here" and "this many white ppl live here".

We are much more discrete about segregation here, and we like to announce our infinite levels of diversity. But are we all really diverse? Can the white business man from Brooklyn Heights standing on line at the Court st. United Artists theatre in Downtown Brooklyn relate with the black man from the Gowanus or Red Hook projects standing on line? No, but we all manage to get along while we wait in line, for the most part. That is not integrated diversity at all in my opinion. In fact, it just creates a greater dichotomy between the two, and the contrasts are substantial. The same can be said about gentrification and its affect on residents in the city. It does not integrate anything, it increases polarization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 11:25 PM

16,200 posts, read 23,073,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGED View Post
Actually, we really are not segregated at all compared to Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, St. Louis, or Philadelphia. The fact that we are so large and have majority black populations in neighborhoods and majority white populations in neighborhoods is no different than any other city in America, except for the fact that NYC is the largest city in America, so the statistics come out as NYC being the most segregated because "this many black ppl live here" and "this many white ppl live here".

We are much more discrete about segregation here, and we like to announce our infinite levels of diversity. But are we all really diverse? Can the white business man from Brooklyn Heights standing on line at the Court st. United Artists theatre in Downtown Brooklyn relate with the black man from the Gowanus or Red Hook projects standing on line? No, but we all manage to get along while we wait in line, for the most part. That is not integrated diversity at all in my opinion. In fact, it just creates a greater dichotomy between the two, and the contrasts are substantial. The same can be said about gentrification and its affect on residents in the city. It does not integrate anything, it increases polarization.
Its true, polarization of the two is the worse and both live seperate worlds. I wonder if gentrification will ever back fire on the city and realestate market?

Old 05-10-2011, 08:21 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,358,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Its true, polarization of the two is the worse and both live seperate worlds. I wonder if gentrification will ever back fire on the city and realestate market?
I think it will. Given the economic situation, I think the demand for luxury real estate will eventually return to more moderate levels. Much of what was constructed over the past few years will continue to drop in price or will eventually be rented out. Maybe the middle class will have a chance to get in on some "fire sale" prices.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:39 AM

3,025 posts, read 6,814,282 times
Can we use this as a reason why gentrification is bad... because it pushed people like this,

6-course mobile gourmet meal served aboard NYC subway car | Gadling.com

to move in and populate these working class areas... people who probably haven't had a hard day's work in their lives and who live off of their parents money... I feel bad for the people having to come or go to work that day and seeing this private event take up space in the already packed L train... Btw, notice the demographics in the video... very diverse...

Old 05-12-2011, 07:23 PM

136 posts, read 267,203 times
Funny thing happened yesterday. I recently came back from school, so now I'm in NY. Me and my pops decide to hit up a BBQ spot in Williamsburg. As we're getting there, he says "Looks like we're getting some Puerto Rican BBQ". The part of Williamsburg where we were at was a predominantly PR hood for ages until fairly recently. My response "I thought they all got priced out.".

We continue driving, and he's looking around. Eventually he said "Wow...guess you were right. All white people".

The BBQ was very good by the way...if not overpriced.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:26 PM

Wait... don't tell me Southside has changed... Please tell me you're either talking about Graham or another part of East Williamsburg...

Old 05-12-2011, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Wait... don't tell me Southside has changed... Please tell me you're either talking about Graham or another part of East Williamsburg...
Metropolitan Ave. bruh. Right by the BQE. Yup. I wouldn't be surprised if southside was the same way.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:05 PM

Isn't metropolitan ave. in Brooklyn by southside... right before it hits grand and then heads towards the projects by S1st, S2nd, Roebling and all that... Because Grand by the L train I know has changed a little bit but a little deeper I thought was still majority hispanic PR and DR central...

Old 05-14-2011, 10:01 AM

961 posts, read 2,466,303 times
This article kind of caught me by suprise. It says that parking minimums are a large contributor to the rising cost of housing construction here in the city. Check it out, let me know what you guys think... Streetsblog New York City » Developer: I’ve Walked Away From Projects Because of Parking Minimums

Old 05-14-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon1 View Post
Isn't metropolitan ave. in Brooklyn by southside... right before it hits grand and then heads towards the projects by S1st, S2nd, Roebling and all that... Because Grand by the L train I know has changed a little bit but a little deeper I thought was still majority hispanic PR and DR central...
The projects are still majority hispanic, but everywhere else has changed. You'll still see them peppered in with the white folk though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City