Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2011, 11:38 AM

810 posts, read 836,865 times

Advertisements

All over the forum people are seeing gentrification as one of the biggest threats to communities or color. This belief is so extreme that some board members have wished for more gun violence and crime to occur so it could scare off hipsters and others who drive up prices.

What about the opposite? Many neighborhoods are seeing an emergence of crime, drugs and mayhem from people coming from the old ghettos. Business don't want to stay in places where flash mobs frequently rob them or where people are harassed by teens, so they move out. Families also leave, and the nabe stagnates, decays and becomes another hood.

This is occurring in the West Village. The city won't make any real effort to protect middle class and productive areas because they are not Times Square or Wall Street. I know people will come here and say overall crime is down, but what they don't want you to know is that violent assaults and robberies are up.

Chaos on Christopher: Iconic Village stretch overrun by drug dealers, prostitutes, violent youths
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2011, 11:48 AM

876 posts, read 2,141,974 times
You cant blame the people in these black and hispanic areas for being upset about how the neighborhood is changing. I lived in canarsie all of my life and saw it go from a mostly jewish and italian area to a mostly black ghetto area. It upsets me to see what happened to my neighborhood, so I can understand how they feel about the gentrification of their neighborhood.

Old 07-03-2011, 12:34 PM

1,280 posts, read 2,442,834 times
Why does gentrification always have to be about whites moving into black neighborhoods,and driving up prices. What I see happening in my neighborhood is Blacks and Hispanics who grew up poor, got an education, good job, worked their way up to middle-class, and are able to buy homes in the communities they grew up in. This should be viewed as a positive in the black/hispanic communities, rather than focus on a few hipsters that may move in here and there...

Old 07-03-2011, 12:44 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,847,541 times
Its not just Blacks and Hispanics , look at whats happening to Chinatown. I like Gentrification for certain parts of the region , but it needs to be balanced. I know 17 people that have moved from Jersey City Heights after they couldn't afford it anymore and they lived there all there lives... Same is happening in Harlem , Flushing , Chinatown and Little Italy , there slowly destroying the fabric of the neighborhood.... They also complain the most....

Old 07-03-2011, 01:08 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,053 times
It's all about money. I don't believe all the hipsters would move to those areas if they were other options available. The building manager/landlords want to increase the rent to make more money and they can't do this with the current tenants. As a as the statement, "slowly destroying the fabric of the neighborhood." You have to remember that everything in life changes and nothing stays the same. I rather have a safe and quiet neighborhood than the crack era NYC.

As a people we need to unite against the landlords, building managers, drug dealers, thugs, etx since this is the only way to control the hikes in rent and keep our neighborhoods safe. Wishing ill on a group of people will not make the situation or problem go away.

Last edited by Mr. Klato; 07-03-2011 at 01:23 PM..

Old 07-03-2011, 01:13 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,008,753 times
I am pro gentrification.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:30 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,686,739 times
i think gentrification is a double-edged sword.. because all these people move into your neighborhood and all of sudden people want to invest it and it changes, and then you can't afford to live their to enjoy the benefits.. i think gentrification hurts those who aren't committing the crimes(families,old people) and are good citizens...
now gentrification wouldn't bother me because i own my place but say i didn't it would probably **** me off because i would have to leave a place i may love...
gentrification is bad because it washes out culture,people,etc instead of diversifying,if only you could have both

Old 07-03-2011, 01:32 PM

810 posts, read 836,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYSANMAN View Post
You cant blame the people in these black and hispanic areas for being upset about how the neighborhood is changing. I lived in canarsie all of my life and saw it go from a mostly jewish and italian area to a mostly black ghetto area. It upsets me to see what happened to my neighborhood, so I can understand how they feel about the gentrification of their neighborhood.
The difference is when hood people try to "preserve" their communities (ie. do things to make their neighborhood seem as unsafe as possible), they are considered by the status quo as fighting on the side of justice.
If you are someone from a middle class community and you do what it takes to drive off the mobs of thugs invading, you are considered a RACIST.
The middle class has been rendered defenseless from all sides. Ghettofication has destroyed more culture by turning things only black or Afro-Caribbean instead of the multitude of ethnicities that used to thrive in the city. The city is surrounded by hoods in Harlem, Bronx, Jamaica, ENY, and a big soulless, commercial center for Wall Street types. Everyone else is being squeezed out.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:30 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,413,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenDullesMJ12 View Post
All over the forum people are seeing gentrification as one of the biggest threats to communities or color. This belief is so extreme that some board members have wished for more gun violence and crime to occur so it could scare off hipsters and others who drive up prices.

What about the opposite? Many neighborhoods are seeing an emergence of crime, drugs and mayhem from people coming from the old ghettos. Business don't want to stay in places where flash mobs frequently rob them or where people are harassed by teens, so they move out. Families also leave, and the nabe stagnates, decays and becomes another hood.

This is occurring in the West Village. The city won't make any real effort to protect middle class and productive areas because they are not Times Square or Wall Street. I know people will come here and say overall crime is down, but what they don't want you to know is that violent assaults and robberies are up.

Chaos on Christopher: Iconic Village stretch overrun by drug dealers, prostitutes, violent youths
Gentrification is the best thing that happened to Manhattan and parts of Brooklyn. What needs to happen next is the abolishment of rent regulation laws, public housing, and Section 8. The market will determine where the ghettos are located and folks can keep it real in those places.

Old 07-03-2011, 04:23 PM

1,583 posts, read 3,676,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klato View Post
It's all about money. I don't believe all the hipsters would move to those areas if they were other options available. The building manager/landlords want to increase the rent to make more money and they can't do this with the current tenants. As a as the statement, "slowly destroying the fabric of the neighborhood." You have to remember that everything in life changes and nothing stays the same. I rather have a safe and quiet neighborhood than the crack era NYC.
I agree. And let's not forget that white midwestern kids with tight jeans aren't the only ones gentrifying these neighborhoods...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City