Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 07:22 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,581,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Do you know how much a physicians assistant makes? Lol

Coo, CFO, CIO, all assist h CEO. How much should they make?
This is a weird statement to me. There are administrative assistants (some that get paid quite well depending on the company/industry) and then there are these titles that you listed. A CFO, CIO, etc, is a quite senior position to hold at many companies and requires specific experience, education, and networking. We all "assist" the person we report to, but that does not by default make us assistants to our managers. Calling COO, CFO, CFO's assistants to the CEO is inaccurate in my opinion. These are different roles, quite integral to the company, and require a very different kind of work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 07:46 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhFloor View Post
These are all assistant positions....How much should one get paid to "assist?"
I guess I could have searched for more, but I was tired.

I'm just sayin'....if someone goes to school for 4-5 years and has another 2+ years of working experience, I think it's weird that these employers find it acceptable to pay them less than most bartenders and waitresses.

I worked at Denny's in one of the worst areas (slow) and the waitresses there, that worked 35 hours/week, were making $33,000-$38,000/year. No college required.

My friends wait tables at nicer cafes/bistros (not super high class, but nice) and are working part-time (15-20 hours/week) and make 30k.

Just sayin'...if I go to school for 4-5 years and have an additional 2 years experience I'm gonna feel insulted to be offered 30k for 40+ hours a week.

I'm not saying these employers should be expected to pay 60-80k either, but would it kill them to be a little more reasonable? Ya know, like 45k? If they're going to require all those things, then 45k is the LEAST they should offer.

Otherwise, don't ask for a minty college grad with 2+ years of working experience for 30k/year. That's just horrible. I rather be a cashier.....

Old 07-21-2011, 07:47 AM

1,090 posts, read 3,168,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
Do you know how much a physicians assistant makes? Lol

Coo, CFO, CIO, all assist h CEO. How much should they make?
PAs are a little different. They usually have a Masters and they do almost everything a MD does. They can easily make 120-180k/year depending on where they are located.

I don't think those jobs should pay gobs of money..but 30k...oh man..that's just awful...especially with all those requirements.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:58 AM

166 posts, read 443,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingCherry View Post
This one, too!

Business Assistant for Education Non-Profit (http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/ofc/2491229240.html - broken link)
This place runs the same ads every week. Can't meet anyone that fits their requirements? Who knows.

I think their Operations Director position which requires a Master's, bilingual English/Spanish, and very specific accounting/budget experience pays 40k.

And this place is not broke- they have NYCDOE contracts.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:20 AM

34,099 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:

I'm just sayin'....if someone goes to school for 4-5 years and has another 2+ years of working experience, I think it's weird that these employers find it acceptable to pay them less than most bartenders and waitresses.

I worked at Denny's in one of the worst areas (slow) and the waitresses there, that worked 35 hours/week, were making $33,000-$38,000/year. No college required.

My friends wait tables at nicer cafes/bistros (not super high class, but nice) and are working part-time (15-20 hours/week) and make 30k.

Just sayin'...if I go to school for 4-5 years and have an additional 2 years experience I'm gonna feel insulted to be offered 30k for 40+ hours a week.

I'm not saying these employers should be expected to pay 60-80k either, but would it kill them to be a little more reasonable? Ya know, like 45k? If they're going to require all those things, then 45k is the LEAST they should offer.

Otherwise, don't ask for a minty college grad with 2+ years of working experience for 30k/year. That's just horrible. I rather be a cashier.....
You know, it might have been mentioned in this thread already, but part of the problem (if you want to call it that) is a saturation of degrees. Everybody is going to school now with the idea that the degree guarantees them a job, which is not so. So 10 years ago the employer has 50 resumes with people who have a BA, now its more like 200. So they're going to automatically look for the higher qualifications. Combine that with the economy not doing too well right now and this is the situation you have.

There's all types of jobs that don't require a higher education and make serious money. Whether that's what we choose to do for a living or not, is our choice. Overall my solution for those who are feeling despondent at the moment: switch careers into something that people are always going to constantly need. Mechanics. Fridge repair. Plumbers. Building maintenance. Own a gas station. Web development.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-21-2011, 11:32 AM

34,099 posts, read 47,309,800 times
Quote:

Well the first job you posted didn't even mention anything about their requirements other than being outgoing and personable and being able to create a rapport with the client. I din't even see any mention of school or work experience noted.

The second job wanted a bachelors degree OR 2 to 4 years work experience, or a combination of both. So apparently they are giving the person fresh out of college with no work experience a chance to apply. If they weren't, then why even waste time putting it into the ad to just delete or throw out a resume?

The third job wants a bachelors and 2 years work experience, but only in customer service or data entry. Nothing hardcore. Either one of those work requirement goals could have been met by a job through a temp agency or something.

One thing I noticed was that all jobs are offering you benefits as well. So you are not coming out of your pocket for health care. It is not uncommon to hear tales of people paying several hundred a month for health care. So that's actually like a boost to your salary.

Forum TOS: http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 07-21-2011, 12:28 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,569,074 times
Another thing I noticed- a lot of these low-paying, high requirement positions demand you are bilingual, or even trilingual. I'm talking just regular desk jobs. I can understand it if you are working in an area like immigration, journalism, etc. But just for your typical desk job? Am I the only who is pissed off about that?

Old 07-21-2011, 12:41 PM

166 posts, read 443,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
Another thing I noticed- a lot of these low-paying, high requirement positions demand you are bilingual, or even trilingual. I'm talking just regular desk jobs. I can understand it if you are working in an area like immigration, journalism, etc. But just for your typical desk job? Am I the only who is pissed off about that?
The way I see it- many desk jobs may have you come in contact with the public who depending on the industry/neighborhood may not be primarily English speaking. I actually don't think it's too big of a requirement to ask for Spanish skills being that there are a huge number of Spanish speakers in NYC.

I actually am trilingual, so I don't get pissed when I see that requirement in listings. What does annoy me is that many employers expect a high level of written and spoken fluency which actually isn't that easy to come by when combined with the other factors they are looking for (advanced degree, years of experience). There is a big difference between being able to hold a 5-minute chat about the weather and drafting a technical document in another language. They definitely should be paying for these language skills.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:00 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,501,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundandDownChick View Post
No, you're not alone. That pisses me off in a big way. I admit I only speak English and I feel if you live in this country you should speak English and I shouldn't be required to speak your language to qualify for a job. But that's a whole different story

Old 07-21-2011, 01:27 PM

346 posts, read 498,447 times
Quote:
Well, it seems these days a starting salary could be around 30K, like eastboundanddownchick said. It used to be much higher, but firms have gotten very, very cheap. I actually have a friend that works in a large firm here in the city and she had given my resume to her supervisor quite some time ago...turns out they are hiring now and they were interested in me but said they could only offer me 32K!!! The supervisor even acknowledged that the salary was insanely low for someone with my experience (over 15 years), but that was all she was authorized to offer
That's insane!!

Last edited by catnip8056; 07-21-2011 at 01:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City