Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2008, 12:31 AM

64 posts, read 244,861 times

Advertisements

I just found this site and some of you might even know me by the car that I drove it was a green Javelin that I raced around and stayed at Green Arces Bowling Alley. I lived on 148th Drive and Huxley and stayed with Claude, Louis. Rosedale to me was the BEST time in my life and I wish I could go back, the people that live there now will NEVER know the GOOD TIMES that went on in the little Ranch style houses there and all the Good times we all had. But I have a question does anyone remember when Springfield Blvd was opened all the way to Rockaway Blvd like Brookville Blvd is today? I can remember a very old small 2 or 3 story hotel something out of a western but made of stucco with pull down shades and round bowling balls on the porch and every time my parents passed it they would speak Italian so I would not no what was going on and then one day it was just knocked down and the road was closed soon after, must have been about 1961. I finally asked my dad what was all the secret stuff about and he told me it was a old well known **** house going way back. He was a cop so I guess he found out. Does anyone know for sure or remember it? Also I thought the Pizza Place in Green Acres was called THE GOLDEN CRUST when it 1st opened. This is my 1st post and would love to hear from anyone out there, I married Nancy Borgesano who live on 147th near Franics Lewis. I knew the Munsons, Crazy Mike, Mike Grato, Ronnie Pepitone, Dennis Morgan, the Bruno brothers I can go on and on drop me a line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 12:44 AM

2 posts, read 11,382 times
Default Delos restaurant

I worked there from 1969-1977

Old 12-12-2008, 12:46 AM

2 posts, read 11,382 times
Default Bruno bros

One block off of Francis lewis next to Frankton street?

Old 12-12-2008, 02:24 PM

2 posts, read 7,649 times
I never got a chance to see the movie, but I was doing a door-to-door witnessing work, when the movie was being filmed, and the movie folks came and politely asked me and my associates to move to another block, just so that we would not be in the picture (smile)..

Old 12-12-2008, 02:58 PM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazza View Post
I lived off 149 and 257th, between 71 and 76. Great neighborhood. We used to go crabbing in the creek. Went to St. Pius. Best memories were the block parties
I loved the block parties also. Rosedale was a great place to grow up in.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:28 AM

8 posts, read 112,562 times
Remember when Green Acres was an open mall before Alexanders was built, Who remembers the war between the mall and Alexanders when it was built. Hoiw about the old Times Square Stores on Rockaways, I accidentally called a store by me TSS the other day and my wife laughed she found it funny I should have a memory pop out like that. Back then you had no concern about weapons being around no one shot at you Roseale was a calm place very family oriented. boy I miss the old neighborhood ! Block parties as was said on here were the best here where I am no one talks to one another NM is a very unfriendly place to live.

Old 12-13-2008, 09:03 AM

21 posts, read 174,419 times
Default Time square stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by Re_Run View Post
Remember when Green Acres was an open mall before Alexanders was built, Who remembers the war between the mall and Alexanders when it was built. Hoiw about the old Times Square Stores on Rockaways, I accidentally called a store by me TSS the other day and my wife laughed she found it funny I should have a memory pop out like that. Back then you had no concern about weapons being around no one shot at you Roseale was a calm place very family oriented. boy I miss the old neighborhood ! Block parties as was said on here were the best here where I am no one talks to one another NM is a very unfriendly place to live.
TSS on Rockaway Blvd was originally Bargain Town and THEY originally had a smaller store on the other side of the boulevard before they built that big store. The first TSS in the area was on Farmers and Merrick Boulevard which had been WAY back a vaudville theater turned into a movie theater turned into a roller rink (Springfield Roller Skating) and then TSS, think it is some food market now. Then there was the Great Eastern Mills on Hempstead Turnpike in Elmont that turned into TSS sometime in the late 60s or so. You had to pass that on the way ot Walcliff's which in my time was the only roller rink around which also had a swimming pool for the summer months. I can even remember when Green Acres was being built. Before they opened ALL the stores there , the spaces that weren't opened yet had kiddy rides in them. Before they built Alexander's, there was always talk that they were going to open a Fortunoff's at Green Acres but they never did. I bet lots of us learned to drive a car in the empty parking lot there in Sunday before they started staying open that day!

Old 12-13-2008, 08:25 PM

2 posts, read 11,103 times
I remember Bargin Town Too. I met my husband there 43 yrs ago. Was the best day of my life. I graduated 1965 from St Clares.
Does anyone remember the shoe store next to Marty's butcher. My mom worked there. Rosedale was a great place to live.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 11,103 times
Heinze Deli. They had the best rice pudding around.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:46 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,327,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doris Ann View Post
Heinze Deli. They had the best rice pudding around.
They also had some great German frozen dinners. For five years, I lived on Mayda Road, up the block from his store. (I was always in his store.)

My daughter went to the dancing school on the same block. I also liked the butcher on the block.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City